Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex lounge access in LAX and SFO

• avythos 43 posts

I was looking at getting this card to use for a family trip to the US for the points to use with Virgin and for lounge access. Reading through it looks like I will be wasting my time at Heathrow either going out or coming back even in July on a Tuesday, but will it work in the US at LAX or SFO possibly Seattle and Toronto if the route works out that way during transit?
    Would there be any benefit attributable to this lounge pass? We use Eurostar a few times so the access to the lounge there would be useful but it seems it is limited to the card holder? does it not allow accompanied children? I would need to get a joint? card for my wife to get access?

Thanks for this great resource!

Reney 763 posts

You don’t actually mention the card, so I will assume it is the platinum card.

Points wise, I would highly suggest you wait till a bonus sign up increase, I suspect there will be one after the BA one is over.

Lounge wise, we were in SFO transit in Nov and Dec. The amex lounge was shut for refurb, was meant to be done by year end, and for the life of me I couldn’t find the others in my terminal (with elderly so couldn’t wonder around too much or exit security and re enter).

Not flown LAX in ages but don’t recall lounges being that great.

Was in Seattle in May, amex lounge was way better than BA lounge BUT i think it had a queue that you have to sign up for. We queue only for maybe 10 mins.

I did use the delta lounge in Salt Lake City, it was lovely but we flew delta and only card holders can get in but we had a supplementary card so 2 of us got in, you’ll need to check the kids entry requirement.

I used the eurostar lounge in London last summer, it was rubbish and seats were stained. Only card holder but you can give supplementary card to your OH if that helps. Check Rob’s review I think he mentioned whether kids could get in.

Too long since I flew via Toronto to comment.

I benefited A LOT from the lounges last year, but I never count them in my own valuation, the points need to make sense for me but that’s my own decision. We also benefited from the car and holiday insurance. Also managed to used the aboard dining credit

dougzz99 623 posts

If you’re flying Virgin would that be in business, because the VS lounge much nicer than an Amex lounge.
    I realise it’s a very subjective thing, but a £600 credit card for what ultimately amounts to a room with some food and drink seems crazy to me. In the US Amex lounges are almost universally crowded, to the point that they’re unpleasant and no amount or quality of food or drink can overcome that. As a family of 4 you only increase the likelihood you’ll struggle to sit together. Expect to queue to get in a US Amex lounge.
    Infinitely better to buy some sandwiches and drinks and sit in a quiet spot in the terminal, or at a restaurant in the terminal.
    Maybe I’ve been spoilt or become complacent over the years but I find the general terminal at St. Pancras nicer than the lounge.

avythos 43 posts

Yes sorry the Amex Platinum.

No won’t be business class it will be a family holiday, But with younger children having somewhere calmer is the appeal.

I am looking at it for the car hire insurance, the points and the annual insurance policy to offset the cost of the card. The Lounge access would be something nice but not if it is unusable it becomes something of a lottery then it becomes more a disappointment.

I get some perks with eurostar premium tickets but it doesn’t grant lounge access. Never used it so not aware of what value it would be, but for similar reasons as flying with a young family it could be helpful to have somewhere calmer to relax, especially if travelling any distance first to arrive at the eurostar terminal. Yes St.Pancras is nice in general but can be crowded, Midi is similar but less attractive.

Thanks for all the great advice.

dougzz99 623 posts

I guess if you use both dining credits and the HN ones you’ve got £400 back. I don’t view it quite that simply as HN is so expensive I use the 2 x £50 on things I’d never otherwise buy, or certainly not from there. The dining credit is nice but I wouldn’t have otherwise used the restaurants I have so that’s not straight forward either. Insurance policy and points don’t sell it for me, if we’re talking the standard 30K MR.

I honestly can’t remember the last time I went in a lounge and would have described it as calm. Maybe the LHR T3 Cathay lounge on occasions, but no PP/Amex lounge evokes calm for me. To be fair I think Amex lounges could be nice, they’re simply so over occupied that you never really discover what they’d really be like if there were space, quiet and a little breathing room.

avythos 43 posts

Ok food for thought thanks.

kai 77 posts

You can use the SFO Virgin Lounge (+1 guest) as they are operated by Plaza Premium.

Reney 763 posts

Having been in many US lounges last year, they are often packed. Amex lounge in Seattle was a little table and 2 armchair like a busy coffee shop. (There are bigger tables for bigger groups) If you have young children who needs to run around it seems almost better to let them run around in the main terminal. I mean the lounges are calm similar to a busy restaurant is cause people are mostly sat down on their own electronics but don’t expect spacious tranquility. I’m not sure I find them calmer than the terminal these days, just the terminal doesn’t come with free food and sometimes a bigger toilet that you can easily bring your suitcase in.

Couldn’t find a lounge in SFO and the only thing I really missed was actually having a machine that gives out hot water as filter water is always too cold. (I wasn’t hungry and wifi at the terminal was decent).

RCHammer 64 posts

It will be interesting to see if the impending rule change for Centurion lounges in Feb for US card holders reduce the overcrowding, since guests will need to paid for from 1st Feb.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.