Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express AMEX Strategy

• GimmeMorePoints 93 posts

Greetings fellow HFPers, I‘d love your input on a plan I’m hatching.

I currently have the free BA AMEX (and Black Barclaycard). I’ve hit both spend targets so I’m planning on switching to paid BA AMEX and free Barclaycard.

HOWEVER, I’m eyeing the new platinum offer. I have a bunch of big spends coming up. Is it smart to get plat for 60k SUB and cancelling in 2-3 months? Then switching to Paid BA AMEX?

Also will my BA AMEX spend target reset when I switch to black? Or at financial year end?

Thank you!

danstravel 31 posts

I have not seen the personal Platinum SUB exceed 60k, so i would go for it. Plus the £200 Amex Travel Credit is a one-off so it does sweeten the situation. If your intention is to not keep the card, then cancelling as soon as the SUB is defo the name of the game.

I think your spend target will reset as you will have cancelled the blue BA and taken the new black card – but maybe someone else can confirm…

memesweeper 1,254 posts

Also will my BA AMEX spend target reset when I switch to black? Or at financial year end?

Why not take out the Plat and close the BA card. After a few months months make a fresh application for BAPP. This will definitely come with a fresh spending target for the companion voucher. You won’t be entitled to a SUP on the BAPP.

GimmeMorePoints 93 posts

Thank you for the insights!
    I got accepted for the platinum so I think I’ll close the BA AMEX and keep the free Barclaycard for non-AMEX retailers

Thanks again!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.