Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Any recommendations for travelling to Naples / Pompeii area? (never been)

• HarryP 5 posts

Just general things like best places to stay i.e in naples or Pompeii , things to do, places to eat etc. Thanks

tiriavpo 312 posts

We stayed in Sorrento – got the boat to and from, across the bay. Pompeii and Herculaneum are easily reached on the train. Didn’t actually spend any time in Naples itself.

sloth 315 posts

Just general things like best places to stay i.e in naples or Pompeii , things to do, places to eat etc. Thanks

Spanish quarter for best street food. Trattoria vesuvio very good pizza. Also look for the funicular up to the castle, castle had amazing views of the city and don’t forget the 1 euro gelato…

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    HarryP 5 posts

Thank you

SteveJ 979 posts

We stayed in Sorrento – got the boat to and from, across the bay. Pompeii and Herculaneum are easily reached on the train. Didn’t actually spend any time in Naples itself.

Very interesting!

What’s this journey like? I.e. time/method from airport to boat, ease of getting on the boat (just turn up or pre book?), frequency and comfort of boat? And is it a ferry (could we take a hire car on it, or car not needed in Sorrento?)

Sounds like something right up my street, any guidance appreciated!

Hbommie 192 posts

Must-do……Capri and the Amalfi drive.

masaccio 721 posts

Herculaneum over Pompeii every time. Don’t miss Paestum. Pizza restaurants that sell ‘both types’ of pizza (margherita and marinara) are the best. Traffic lights are to be ignored; they just change colour

Tony1 4 posts

Naples is very “lively”, and in places dirty. Airport is a good 20 mins from centre. Take a taxi to hotel.

Pizza’s cheap and authentic … Trains very full, and crowded.

Enjoy.

Also check this website out : http://pompeiisites.org/en/

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.