Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Applied a week ago but no reply yet?

• Phloxy55 6 posts

Just got off the phone – 1 hours 20 minutes. Applied 1st March. Again, they said the card had never been sent out. Didn’t bother trying to get the £20 charge reversed/limit extended. I’m homing to switch things over to the barclaycard using curve back-in-time, and paying my council tax as a lump sum – so shouldn’t have a problem hitting the limits.

Definitely downgrading to the free card at the first opportunity though – dread to think what unlocking the voucher will be like.

Paul 134 posts

Seems from comments here and on flyertalk that this is something if a disaster for Barclaycard. I formally complained last night, £50 compensation and fee waived. I am due a call today but not holding my breath.

rum 275 posts

Had the following response after DM-ing them on Twitter:

I’m so sorry about the delays, we have just received an update within in the last hour or so that they are a few delays. The delays are due to an issue with our card supplier. We’re looking into this and are arranging for the cards to be sent out to affected customers by courier. The card should be with you in the next few days.

I wish that was anything like the response I got when I called them. I specifically asked about sending the card to me via courier, but their response was ‘all our cards are sent out via 2nd class post’. Charming. I really feel ‘Premier’ right now.

james20 5 posts

Finally arrived this morning

rum 275 posts

Finally arrived this morning

Would that be the original card that they sent out or the replacement?

CarpalTravel 359 posts

Nothing today (Day 1 approved application).

FatherOfFour 276 posts

My original card (accepted 1st March) arrived today, without a chase.
    Envelope split down one side and the top open. Whole package looks like it has been scuffed around the floor and the card in and out of a wallet 100 times!

rum 275 posts

OK, mine arrived (the original one) as well and just like @FatherOfFour, my envelope was torn on both sides.
    Card won’t work on some basic things as it was blocked yesterday. Here we go now for another 50 minutes wait to get it rectified. Or who knows…

CatchFlightsNotFeelings 34 posts

Mine arrived this morning, also had half the envelope torn and bashed around. Shame i cant use it as it was cancelled yesterday and a new one sent out!

LondonFly 84 posts

Card arrived today. But won’t activate!
    What do I do now?

vern 10 posts

Like most others. Original card just arrived but won’t activate. Envelope intact but looks like two different postage labels one directly on top of another. Hoping replacement gets here sooner.

Aston100 1,374 posts

Wow, my card arrived today despite being told yesterday that it wasn’t going to come at all due to a glitch and that they’d send a new one to arrive in 3 – 5 working days.

Just like the posts above, the envelope was ripped open but the card was still inside.
    I’ve taken photos from several angles before taking the card out.
    And yes, a postage label on top of another postage label.

Tried to activate but need to register an account first. Tried to register and I found the restrictions to be err.. restrictive. Honestly can’t remember the last time I struggled to create an account for anything or anywhere – thats how restrictive I found this to be.

Anyway, it ended with an error message saying “a technical problem means we cant finish setting up your online account access”.

Bollocks.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 3 months ago by .
    FatherOfFour 276 posts

Was able to activate mine, (so that I can report the damage via the app!)
    Haven’t tried using yet.

I activated by downloading the BC app, then setting up online banking registration using card details. THEN activating the card from within app.

Marc 43 posts

Yep. No surprise after reading the posts above, but mine also showed up today. Same in regards to the state of it.

harley 110 posts

Mine also arrived this morning, similar envelope very battered, I assume they rushed them out this weekend as had a first stamp on despite applying on 28feb

Amaranth 18 posts

Original card also arrived this morning… no issues with the envelope looking beat around, but the card itself feels very thin and cheap.

Kicking myself for calling and cancelling yesterday, though I would have been less inclined to get it blocked and reissued if the agent I spoke to had said “there’s been a delay getting them out” as opposed to “it’s probably lost in the post”!

rum 275 posts

[…] I would have been less inclined to get it blocked and reissued if the agent I spoke to had said “there’s been a delay getting them out” as opposed to “it’s probably lost in the post”!

Yes I couldn’t agree more with the above.

I (stupidly) tried to call BC again today. After a 40 minute wait, told them what had happened. They said there is no way they can go back to the original card again as it was already cancelled. Went on to say I would like to update my existing complaint (given that it was the advisor I spoke to yesterday that suggested the card is not going to show up). Half way through giving some of my details, the call was dropped mid conversation.

Wonderful. I was p****d off yesterday but today I am really worked up. I am not sure if I am going to bother with Barclays at all. Once the complaint gets seen to I am going to let rip. I don’t like getting messed about but I expect to get my money’s worth.

BA-Flyer 25 posts

Card arrived this morning. Activated in the app. First transaction declined. Called Barclays from within the app. “Sorry, we don’t deal with business cards”.
    Me: It’s not a business card.
    Barclays: According to my system you have a business card. I’ll have to transfer you.

The bonus Avios tempted me, but I should have known better. The other negative comments in the forum all confirm that Barclays take incompetence to new levels.

bigsev 3 posts

Same for me. Card cancelled yesterday after they said it was sent on 1 March and “definitely would have arrived by now”. The old card arrived in the post today in a battered envelope. Very annoying.

PSowden 14 posts

OK, mine arrived (the original one) as well and just like @FatherOfFour, my envelope was torn on both sides.
    Card won’t work on some basic things as it was blocked yesterday. Here we go now for another 50 minutes wait to get it rectified. Or who knows…

I had the same today. Taken 2 weeks to get here and the envelope was badly torn.

Aston100 1,374 posts

The number from the back of the card is going through right away: 0800 161 5309
    However, I got through to someone who advised I should go to a cash point in order to register and activate my card…
    Asked to raise a formal complaint and was put through to a complaints handler within 6 minutes of calling.
    I was amazed at the speed of this – the only thing Barclays have done that met my expectations thus far.

The complaints handler was unable to get my card activated either and is unsure why. I have raised a formal complaint and been told someone will get back to me within 5 working days to get the card activated and to follow-up on all the points I raised (including the tampered envelope; monthly fee; SUB time limit and the misinformation from the first person on the call).

Cloud 21 posts

Received the card today and the envelope was very battered, looked like it’s been round the world through the warzone. Card survived intact, I did wondered if it’s been removed and cloned prior to reading this forum.

Now activated and working. Moved some usage into it via Curve GBIT and it worked like a charm.

Ryan 23 posts

Finally got mine today too (supposedly sent 1st March). The envelope was torn down both sides and the card was covered in dust and has a few marks on it. It also crossed my mind that the card could have been removed and cloned during transit but it my case it wasn’t possible to remove the card without damaging the envelope further,

Managed to activate it and have used it online successfully. Just glad they weren’t able to cancel it using Apple Messages yesterday.

Registered for the app (a really longwinded process) and there’s already a statement there for the £20 fee. Suppose I should be glad I’ve only lost 2 weeks of the 3 month spend period but I’ll be making a complaint regardless.

CatchFlightsNotFeelings 34 posts

Kicking myself for calling and cancelling yesterday, though I would have been less inclined to get it blocked and reissued if the agent I spoke to had said “there’s been a delay getting them out” as opposed to “it’s probably lost in the post”!

Yep kicking myself too. When I was told it was sent on March 1st and was lost in the post i cancelled it. If i’d have known the truth behind the scenes i would have been more likely to wait. Instead im now at the back of the queue waiting for a new card to be printed and sent, which i assume will take longer than the 5 days advised.

MichaelR 37 posts

What an absolute shower of total incompetents.

My card finally arrived today – 13 days after being approved.

After going through the tortuous process of activating it, I find that a statement was generated yesterday and that I’ve already been charged the £20 fee.

I called Barclaycard to complain that this was a bit off when I’d had no use of the card and the launch has been an absolute shambles. I then get passed around four different people, none of whom seemed to know anything about the product or what to do.

Eventually, I get told that they won’t refund the fee (contrary to what other people seem to have been told) as “it’s in the terms and conditions that we can charge it as soon as the account is opened”.

I protested strongly and said that I’d like to complain.

They refused to open a complaint and said they could only log my displeasure as “feedback” because “it’s in the terms and conditions”.
    I told them that was nonsense, insisted that I wanted to complain about being charged a fee for an account I’ve had no use of, as well as the general shambolic handling of the opening my account, and that I would go to FOS if necessary. They eventually (with much reluctance) agreed to log a complaint.

My whole experience with Barclaycard has been absolutely hideous so far. They make Creation look competent and customer-focused. If there were any other decent non-Amex rewards cards out there, I’d cut this card up and send it back immediately. (I am already regretting cancelling my Virgin Atlantic Rewards+ card in favour of this)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.