Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Austin off the beaten track

• Mel TS 69 posts

Having somehow managed to get Virgin UC redemption flights to Austin in late September, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on off the beaten track places to go. We don’t drink so not fussed about bars etc, and mainly do walking/outdoor things. Used to do museums as well but with Covid, I’m liking outdoor stuff! Wildlife, scenery, photography are all good things, fancy meals, bars, late nights out etc not us at all. I realise this makes me sound a million years old, but by the time we get on holiday I’m usually exhausted and need to just chill. We miss the F1 by only a few weeks much to my husbands disappointment.
    I’ve got abut 5 days around Austin to allow for a bit local exploration including San Antonia and the missions, and if we are lucky the bats at Bracken Cave, then 2 nights down on the coast for a some down time, Houston for Nasa and hawk migration ( again if lucky), Jefferson for Caddo Lake, Dallas very briefly and then back down to Austin.

Any ideas are most welcome!

davefl 1,217 posts

I’m headed there next month and found this blog post useful. A lot of parks/hikes to explore in the area.

https://www.lonestartravelguide.com/hiking-in-austin-trails/

masaccio 719 posts

BBQ! My personal favourites are — in order of level of service — Lamberts, Iron Works, Rudy’s.

Six Flags Over Texas. Pay some extra for this: https://www.sixflags.com/overtexas/attractions/dive-bomber-alley

A wild cave tour. I did this one: https://innerspacecavern.com/tours-prices/wild-cave-tour/

The State Capitol tour is free and very good if you like a bit of American history.

The coast at Port Aransas is lovely.

Mel TS 69 posts

I’m headed there next month and found this blog post useful. A lot of parks/hikes to explore in the area.
    >

This is fabulous thank you!

@masaccio
    BBQ is Must Do and I’m just making a list of must stop off places. I don’t this will be a vegetable heavy trip. Just booked a hotel in Port Aransas too 🙂

AndyGWP 275 posts

I think the BBQ we went was Blacks? That was decent

Is Austin where the “bat bridge” is too?

Think we hired Lime bicycles and rode down the riverside too 👍🏻

davefl 1,217 posts

I’m doing a couple of segway tours and a kayak one. (love segways everywhere I travel).

Bat bridge yes, but I’ll miss it as they dont arrive until late March.

Lime bikes may be an idea. I did try Lime scooters in Santa Monica but mine died after 50 ft and I’ve never tried another.

Are vegetables even allowed to exist in Texas?

Mel TS 69 posts

@davefl well, I guess if you count creamed corn, coleslaw, and fruit cobblers there’s plenty of veg 🙂

We might get lucky with the bats – keeping my fingers crossed!

davefl 1,217 posts

Yes they tend to bury veggies under layers of fat, cream, mayonnaise etc. 🙂 Steamed Broccoli is the only thing that you can find normally.

Bats should be around in Sept. I think they stay march to oct.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.