Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club British Airways cancels Bangkok until October 2022

• SamG 1,639 posts

If BA reroutes Hong kong via Bkk will passengers on that Flight have right to cancel ?
    Will it will be a stop for crew in Bkk only and they wont offer Bkk flights via this Reroute for sale ? .

That is a separate matter – I strongly suspect the stops would be for crew change only to allow the stop to be removed/changed if circumstances allow/necessitate

rashomon 75 posts

so that blows my plan to travel to BKK in July using my companion voucher 🙁

does anyone think there is a chance that BA will look to put these flights back on or should I look at a Plan B (no pun intended) and use my voucher elsewhere

SamG 1,639 posts

so that blows my plan to travel to BKK in July using my companion voucher 🙁

does anyone think there is a chance that BA will look to put these flights back on or should I look at a Plan B (no pun intended) and use my voucher elsewhere

It was never running May-Oct – IIRC that was the plan pre-COVID even (they can send the plane far more profitably 2x over the Atlantic)

KL isn’t a bad choice I believe that is back on the schedule a few times a week – easy enough to make your way to Thailand and on the way home Malaysian Airlines will through-check your bags to BA (BA will not check to anyone else on a separate ticket). Singapore is also an option.

All subject to the policies in force at the time of course – e.g. currently Singapore you’d have to overnight stopover both ways on separate tickets ,take a PCR, isolate for the results, travel back from Thailand on a VTL flight etc.

rashomon 75 posts

Thanks Sam

Can’t see Reward flights to Malaysia … not to worry. I’m going to book a dummy and FTV this for a future date.

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

I don’t think BA have announced a return to KL yet!

SamG 1,639 posts

I don’t think BA have announced a return to KL yet!

My bad – I thought I’d read it was returning but it’s just that they requested slots which doesn’t count for much. Shame as KL is a very handy “hub” for that part of the world

Bongobongo 5 posts

Could be worth holding fire on any future Bkk bookings.
    The Thai health minister announced yesterday he is considering scrapping the Test and go scheme, because Omicron is slowly getting a hold in his country..
    With all the other hoops and hurdles already set to get in..Forced quarantine as before makes it a less desirable place to travel to..

thom 25 posts

And Test and Go officially suspended (to be reviewed on 4th January). If you already have the pass to enter you are supposedly fine, but anyone else would have to do hotel quarantine.

I’m increasingly thinking it’s not worth the stress and hassle this year!

Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

I just spoke to BA and it seems the only policy they have in place currently is for rebooking onto Qatar, up to the end of March. Finnair was a previous policy, it seems.

Clearly with the route cancelled until October this will need to be updated for the following months but as it currently stands I am told it is Qatar only.

gabrielmoreno 6 posts

Hi Guys,

Seems like the Test and go scheme for those who already had the Thailand Pass QR code need to arrive to thailand before 15th Jan.

I have already amended my original BA fight (voucher+avios+cash) to a quatar flight. my current flight lands on the 16th so I would not be able to opt for the test and go.

I called BA today to change my flight to the 13th or 14th of January (in order to arrive before the 15th Jan deadline) and they refused to amend as I already had a free of charge change and they had already put me on a non direct route which would not possible normally.

Is there anything I can do to get BA to amend this and still use my voucher and avios?

Thanks

SamG 1,639 posts

Hi Guys,

Seems like the Test and go scheme for those who already had the Thailand Pass QR code need to arrive to thailand before 15th Jan.

I have already amended my original BA fight (voucher+avios+cash) to a quatar flight. my current flight lands on the 16th so I would not be able to opt for the test and go.

I called BA today to change my flight to the 13th or 14th of January (in order to arrive before the 15th Jan deadline) and they refused to amend as I already had a free of charge change and they had already put me on a non direct route which would not possible normally.

Is there anything I can do to get BA to amend this and still use my voucher and avios?

Thanks

Think you’re not gonna have any joy with this to be honest unless something gets cancelled in your itinerary (not likely at this stage) & I can’t think of any good options – BA aren’t flying anywhere useful in the region to switch to and with a voucher in the mix you need BA metal so you can’t find Avios availability on other carriers. Realistically you’ll have to take a refund/FTV and book elsewhere for this trip I’d say

EDIT: to add, I’d be hesitant on a Thailand trip currently – Omicron wave is about to hit and there will be restrictions that may impact your holiday enjoyment depending on what you like to do!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    IPC 16 posts

I had BA Avios flights booked MAN-LHR-BKK in April.

The BA Rep has changed them to QR flights MAN-DOH-BKK.

SamG 1,639 posts

I had BA Avios flights booked MAN-LHR-BKK in April.

The BA Rep has changed them to QR flights MAN-DOH-BKK.

Great – https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/traveltrade/bookings-policies/policies/askba?faqid=8181 the policy has been extended to 30 April now for QR rebooking – so that helps everyone with April bookings who were struggling to get rebooked

GaryNewman 7 posts

Got rebooked onto Qatar for April BKk – LHR via Doha. Hideous 3.00am departure from BKK. I don’t want to know if anyone does any better!

Lady London 2,030 posts

I just spoke to BA and it seems the only policy they have in place currently is for rebooking onto Qatar, up to the end of March. Finnair was a previous policy, it seems.

Clearly with the route cancelled until October this will need to be updated for the following months but as it currently stands I am told it is Qatar only.

Well Rhys it’s good to know the path of least resistance with BA. I am sure BA will further contrat a special low-cost interline deal with QR and/or Finnair or some other party that will give them a policy alternative for rhe period from April onwards till their own flights resume.

But as you know, BA’s own policy is just that. It is overridden by the rights given in EU261/UK261. So if Qatar or Finnair or any of BA’s other preferred comrades is not flying on a day you booked a flight with BA and they havw cancwlled, BA is still responsible for flying you on the day you need to fly even if you have to use another airline to make timings as reasonably close aa possible to the timing you had booked.

Obviously other than horrible connections in Doha on too-long layovers in Doha at times like 0200am, both QR snd AY are very acceptable airlines. But if their timings aren’t as reasonably close as possible to what you booked and there is another airline flying much more reasonably close to the timings you booked, don’t let BA tell you you don’t have a right to be flown on another airline as you actually will have that right if you need it and the cost is BA’s responsibility.

SamG 1,639 posts

One piece of advice with this type of situation is don’t panic and jump into a non-optimal scenario, especially if you’ve got a little bit of flexibility in your plans. You only get one shot at the change and flight availability is very fluid at the moment as airline/peoples plans change. If Qatar has an optimal timing that is currently sold out, either check back or pay for a months Expertflyer subscription and sent an alert on the top fare bucket (J for Biz – Y or economy). It’ll likely open up and then you can call in and get what you want

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Rhys
    HfP Staff
    189 posts

One piece of advice with this type of situation is don’t panic and jump into a non-optimal scenario, especially if you’ve got a little bit of flexibility in your plans. You only get one shot at the change and flight availability is very fluid at the moment as airline/peoples plans change. If Qatar has an optimal timing that is currently sold out, either check back or pay for a months Expertflyer subscription and sent an alert on the top fare bucket (J for Biz – Y or economy). It’ll likely open up and then you can call in and get what you want

Quite. I haven’t rebooked at all yet – am waiting to see what happens with Thai borders.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.