Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help BA LHR to Rome BA cancellation

• rollobollo 11 posts

Grateful for some advice / test my understanding please. Once again BA have cancelled on us (second consecutive flight). Original booking was LHR to Rome FCO, in CE Saturday 7/5/22 depart 12:30 land 16:10. Email invited me to use MMB to rebook or cancel, obviously no explanation why cancelled.

Cancellation was timestamped 00:30 this morning i.e. within 14 days. Trip is to watch the Rome open Tennis and I have tickets for Sunday so I had to get there on Saturday. Only options we 07:00 flight or 17:05. I booked the latter which lands 20:40. My – probably imperfect – understanding is that either of these flights would enable me to make a cancellation claim under EC261 (take off more than two hours earlier and landing over four hours later respectively relative to the original timing) assuming BA don’t blame industrial action as they are on my previous claim!

Thoughts?

AJA 1,061 posts

Agree with your assessment provided that the reason for the cancellation is not extraordinary circumstances.

Lady London 2,030 posts

Looks correct
    Go for it

I can’t imagine any extraordinary circs. Looks like they are just consolidating 3 flights on the one day into 2, so they can release an aircraft to run on another route.

I sincerely hope nothing goes wrong on the day with your flight. But hell would freeze over before they’d get me to take an 0700am flight on a Saturday! 🙂

Please let us know how it turns out.

rollobollo 11 posts

Thanks AJA & Lady London. I will post on how my claim goes but I’m not gong to submit it until after I return – in case there is further disruption!

PJJ 29 posts

Jealous of you
    Just done Monte Carlo, RG next then Queens and Wimbledon
    Would love to see Rome plus a few others
    Please let me know about it
    Cancellations recently always worry me when booking sports tickets !

rollobollo 11 posts

Will do PJJ. Second time watching Rome open. The thing is for me the clue is in the name, it’s Tennis in my favorite city. For the earlier rounds tickets are readily available. We’ve fortunate to have got Wimbledon tickets this year as well. What’s the ticket availability for RG?

PJJ 29 posts

Will do PJJ. Second time watching Rome open. The thing is for me the clue is in the name, it’s Tennis in my favorite city. For the earlier rounds tickets are readily available. We’ve fortunate to have got Wimbledon tickets this year as well. What’s the ticket availability for RG?

Got the RG tickets when they first went on sale. First Monday on Simone Matteau, With Tuesday and Wednesday plus the 3 evening sessions on Catrier, lower tier (for the first time ever) in the corner. Lucky old me for Wimbledon have first Friday and men’s final tickets.

rollobollo 11 posts

Update on the outcome. Put the EC261 claim in for cancelled flight on the basis it was cancelled within 14 days and the alternative flight landing more than fours hours after the original. Its was submitted on 13/5 and just now 19/5 BA have emailed to say fair cop, no quibbles, money will be with you in 14 days. So to be fair to BA (I know its hard!) that’s four working days which I consider completely acceptable.

The experience of the flights taken was good except baggage reclaim on return, at LHR check in there were no queues at all and trough security in less than 8 mins , OK fastrack but non-fastrack the queues were only a little longer in my estimation. Flights on time. Only issue and its a bad one 80 minute wait for baggage on return to LHR.

@PJJ
    Tennis was as expected great (although that rare thing in Rome a rain interruption for 30 mins), everyone just so excited to be back to normal, I understand the attendance for the tournament was a record. In general I’ve never seen Rome so busy in May, there is definitely a collective vibe that people just want, and are travelling again.

Lady London 2,030 posts

Well done rollobollo

AJA 1,061 posts

@rollobollo That’s great news. I am glad BA did the right thing. Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you got on.

PJJ 29 posts

Glad you enjoyed the tennis. Can you remember when the tennis tickets went on sale. It’s a must for me next year. Eurostar tomorrow to Paris, Roland Garros awaits Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Weather looking good I think but they now have a roof.

rollobollo 11 posts

Hi PJJ, I think they go on sale late March, I bought mine on April 7th but a lot had sold by them. Best thing is to check with the ticket office directly at ticketoffice@federtennis.it . Hope you enjoy.

PJJ 29 posts

Hi PJJ, I think they go on sale late March, I bought mine on April 7th but a lot had sold by them. Best thing is to check with the ticket office directly at ticketoffice@federtennis.it . Hope you enjoy.

Thanks for the info
    Have just dropped them an email

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.