Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• AL 577 posts

Anyone actually received the 3000 bonus avios on this? Can’t cancel the card until we’ve received it. Met the spend amount a while ago.

Nope – and I’d rather get them before the £2.99 fee kicks in, because they take that from the card balance and threaten to cancel the card if they can’t take it. Which, I assume, means no Avios. Grr.

Paul B 224 posts

Anyone actually received the 3000 bonus avios on this? Can’t cancel the card until we’ve received it. Met the spend amount a while ago.

Nope – and I’d rather get them before the £2.99 fee kicks in, because they take that from the card balance and threaten to cancel the card if they can’t take it. Which, I assume, means no Avios. Grr.

However once you’ve cancelled, surely they won’t (can’t) issue the Avios?

Londonsteve 193 posts

Yes, certainly wait for the bonus to land before cancelling the card. Nobody will get a bonus until at least 90 days have elapsed since card activation. You might hit the £500 spend before this, but I don’t think that alone triggers the bonus, you also have to keep the card for 90 days.

Paul B 224 posts

Yes, certainly wait for the bonus to land before cancelling the card. Nobody will get a bonus until at least 90 days have elapsed since card activation. You might hit the £500 spend before this, but I don’t think that alone triggers the bonus, you also have to keep the card for 90 days.

Has anybody received their 3k bonus yet? I’ve made the qualifying spend, albeit via ATM withdrawals and not sure if that counts.

stevenhp1987 331 posts

The T&C clearly say ATM withdrawals are not qualifying spend.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/shopping/mastercard

“1.1. For the British Airways Prepaid Mastercard, 1,500 Avios welcome bonus will be awarded to your BAEC account if you have held your Card for 90 days and have spent a minimum of either £500, $500 or €500 in any one currency within 90 days of activating your Card. ATM transactions do not apply.”

Also I believe you will only get your bonus Avios after the full 90 days have elapsed.

Paul B 224 posts

The T&C clearly say ATM withdrawals are not qualifying spend.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/shopping/mastercard

“1.1. For the British Airways Prepaid Mastercard, 1,500 Avios welcome bonus will be awarded to your BAEC account if you have held your Card for 90 days and have spent a minimum of either £500, $500 or €500 in any one currency within 90 days of activating your Card. ATM transactions do not apply.”

Also I believe you will only get your bonus Avios after the full 90 days have elapsed.

Ah, I better make some qualifying spend quickly then, I’ve had the card since early July. Thanks

truthbetold 130 posts

Two points. 3000 bonus is supposed to credit 30 days after the 90 day period expires IF you spent £500 or more. Note that driver awareness courses are treated as fines and are not eligible spend!

Note also MBNA via Curve are treating BA MasterCard top ups as cash transactions and accruing interest at over 22%pa! This card was not worth the hassle!!

truthbetold 130 posts

Two points. 3000 bonus is supposed to credit 30 days after the 90 day period expires IF you spent £500 or more. Note that driver awareness courses are treated as fines and are not eligible spend!

Note also MBNA via Curve are treating BA MasterCard top ups as cash transactions and accruing interest at over 22%pa! This card was not worth the hassle!!

Especially odd as MBNA still Treat ATM withdrawals on Bendy as purchases.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.