Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Flight changes and cancellations help BA query for new booking

• Not Long Now... 93 posts

So I need to get back from JNB to LON, and am looking at buying a one-way economy ticket on BA as a back up whilst hoping for an Avios seat to appear. I know one way is usually disproportionately expensive but it’s coming in at £267 which isn’t the end of the world and doesn’t make it worth making it a round trip. My question is, would I still be able to cancel it for a voucher if a reward seat appears? BA website would appear not to specifically exclude it under their COVID flexible bookings policy, but anybody got any experience of this?
    Thanks

SamG 1,639 posts

Yes – as long as it’s within the dates they aren’t excluding any type of booking from the voucher policy

Read the fare rules though, quite often foreign origin tickets have more flexible rules than ex-UK and cash cancellation may be possible at no/low cost. If you run the search in ITA matrix and put BA+ in the routing codes and f bc=X in the extension codes you can play around and see – a slightly more expensive fare may have better rules. swap X with codes Y B H K M L V S N Q O – O being cheapest and work your way up. Then click on the BA price, then rules hyperlink and do a CTRL+F down to CANCELLATIONS

Unfortunately to book something other than what BA.com offers you then you’d need to call and tell them you want an S class or whichever one suits

Not Long Now... 93 posts

Thanks SamG, yes the default ticket via BA.com has cancellation fees of approx £45 if done online before first (and in this case, only) flight, made up of 800ZAR cancellation fee and 150ZAR online change fee, but doesn’t specify if that’s per booking or per ticket, and so not sure if it’s doubled as my wife will be with me. Even so, a voucher would probably get used up in the next couple of years so would probably go for that if needed. Was debating Virgin, at £2 cheaper, or £90 more for ‘economy delight’, but lack of flexibility should reward seats appear actually makes BA look more attractive! Wonders will never cease. Silver in both schemes but flights look quite full so doubtful of any happy endings there…

tiriavpo 312 posts

Notwithstanding the advice above about fare codes, it just looks like standard BA IT ambiguity – the booking page states everything as it was pre-covid, with all the ‘this ticket is non-refundable’ etc. The current Book with Confidence policy overrides that but their booking pages aren’t clever enough to make that clear.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.