Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Bangkok the peninsula or mandarin

• chrisw1983 48 posts

Good morning all

I am staying in Bangkok with the family in September for 3 nights before heading to the beach. We have narrowed it down to stay at the Mandarin Oriental or the peninsula, has anyone stayed at either or any recommendations?

Thanks

JDB 4,373 posts

Good morning all

I am staying in Bangkok with the family in September for 3 nights before heading to the beach. We have narrowed it down to stay at the Mandarin Oriental or the peninsula, has anyone stayed at either or any recommendations?

Thanks

Personally, I would opt for the Mandarin as it is all rather more charming (including the restaurants and bars) than the big modern Peninsula and the boat ride across the river to the spa and dining on the other side will be much enjoyed by all the family. If I had any criticism, it is that the pool area can get a bit crowded, but they do manage this quite well.

BP 48 posts

The Mandarin is better located and within walking distance to a Skytrain station which can be useful to get out and about while avoiding traffic. That said it used to be about 2.5 times the price of the Peninsula and I personally wouldn’t pay the uplift. Peninsula is on the “wrong” side of the river.

Personally I’d go for the new Four Seasons which is down the road from the Mandarin and I can’t wait to try the refurbished Intercontinental when that opens. BKK Intercon has always been one of my favorites.

Roberto 281 posts

MO for me however I prefer the Shagari La practically next door.

A suite is a couple of hundred quid a night – I dont know the age of your kid(s) but they have a family friendly deal on currently.

This offer includes:

Minimum Two-night accommodation at selected room type
    Welcome complimentary minibar on arrival for Deluxe Balcony Room, Premier Room, Horizon Club Room and all suites
    Daily buffet breakfast at Next 2 Café for 2 adults
    Complimentary daily breakfast for kid under 12 years old, max. 2 kids
    One way transfer – airport to hotel or hotel to airport (Commuter van)
    1 family activity of choice for 2 adults and 1 child, additional charge of THB 670 nett for second child

– Mega Harbourland at ICONSIAM
    – Cooking class
    – Origami and fish weaving
    – Elephant painting
    – Offering alms to monks (available in the early morning only)

Supplement canal cruise at THB 2,500 nett per package
    Additional second room will get 50% discount from Best Available rate on room with breakfast only.
    High-speed, unrestricted Wi-Fi and broadband Internet access

chrisw1983 48 posts

Thank you everyone. My little one will be almost 2 when we go. We have just spoken to Emyr to get some prices on the shangri la too. My wife wants a riverside hotel.

Tobs 4 posts

The Peninsula Bangkok and THAI’s FFP (Royal Orchid Plus) have a very generous offer.

You can take advantage of the offer even if you just signed up to the FFP, with entry-level rooms around 5-6000 THB per night with breakfast (including service and tax).

This is the website: thaiairways.com/en_TH/rop/Promotion/PeninsulaBKK-Special-Prices.page
    You book directly with the hotel. I presume you can negotiate any upgrade (if you wish) to a higher room or better views.

I almost booked The Peninsula Bangkok with this offer, but decided to stay somewhere else.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Hbommie 192 posts

We’ve stayed at the Peninsula a number of times, and visit the MO regularly for drinks and meals during any stay. I like the Pen and the ‘wrong side of the river’ is nonsense with regular boat trips back to Saphan Taksin and up to Icon Siam negating that issue. But the hard product is dated, no getting a way from it, but I like the comfy rooms and reasonable rates. The MO rooms had an upgrade a couple of years before covid, which is reflected in the rates, and to my eyes it is one of the worlds most beautiful hotels.

I’ll be interested to see what 4S and Capella are like as they have opened since our last trip. The Siam is well regarded but way up river.

can 506 posts

By the way my Platinum has a generous Mandarin Oriental cash back offer. Cannot remember the fine print though

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.