Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Cabin luggage suggestions

• SteveJ 977 posts

I currently use a Samsonite S’Cure 4 wheel spinner. This meets all my needs, BUT is “only” 55 x 40 x 20cm. I pretty much exclusively fly BA, their allowance is 56 x 45 x 25cm, so I’m not maximising my allowance, the extra 5cm width + 5cm depth would be very useful! I will be keeping the S’Cure for other airlines with a smaller allowance.

Likes (which I’d like to replicate in the next purchase) :
    – hard case
    – 4 wheels
    – no zips (S’Cure has latches instead)
    – reasonable (imo) price (~£200)

The no zips part seems to be the biggest sticking point, as the Samsonite (and other brand) hard cases that have more than 20cm depth are all (expandable) zipper hard cases. The closest match I have found so far is the 23cm deep American Tourister Alumo.

Any reasonably priced hardcase + zipperless + >20cm deep recommendations gratefully accepted!

memesweeper 1,244 posts

Away Travel Bigger, in black or silver aluminium, meets all the requirements except cost. I love mine.

I completely agree about zips. Just asking for trouble. Hard shells and clips are the way to go, but there’s so little choice these days.

PeteM 715 posts

Away Travel Bigger

I was going to suggest Away, but they all have zips?

Grant 107 posts

Away Travel Bigger

I was going to suggest Away, but they all have zips?

The £500+ alu versions have clips

PeteM 715 posts

The £500+ alu versions have clips

Ah, fair enough! At that cost you might as well pay a bit more and go for a Rimowa…!

SteveJ 977 posts

Thanks for this @memesweeper
    A bit too tall for BA? Though maybe they’re not too fussed about a few cm!

Overall that’s not too far off the American Tourister one (which is slimmer but wider).

SteveJ 977 posts

Anyone heard of Level8?

They do an Aluminium 50 x 44 x 26cm which seems perfect for the job, but I’ve never heard of them.

memesweeper 1,244 posts

Thanks for this @memesweeper
    A bit too tall for BA? Though maybe they’re not too fussed about a few cm!

Overall that’s not too far off the American Tourister one (which is slimmer but wider).

I’ve hoisted mine overhead on BA, Easy, Ryan and American without issues. In black it lacks the “look at me” factor of some Alu baggage.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.