Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Can someone validate my logic? Gold and BAPP

• swiftgti 3 posts

Hi all,

I’ve currently got an Amex Gold and have about 3 months left before I need to start paying a fee on it, it has earned a decent bonus and number of points in the 9 months I’ve had it, which I plan to convert to avios.
    I also noticed that BA have a great offer on the BAPP at the moment of 70,000 for sign up, but there is a £250 a year fee – am I right in my following thinking:-

– I should be eligible for the BA card, even though I have gold?
    – I can hold a gold and the BA card at the same time without any issue?
    – The BA card 70,000 points go straight to my avios so require no conversion and they are credited as soon as the 3K spend is done?
    – I could cancel the BA card after the 3K spend and get a pro-rata refund on the fee (and retain the 70,000 points)
    OR
    – I could keep the card till I spent 10K to get a 2-4-1 voucher, then cancel and get a pro-rata refund (while retaining the 2-4-1 and the 70,000 points)?
    – In the latter situation, can the 2-4-1 voucher be spent within the 2 years as long as payment is made on any AMEX in my name or does it need to be a BAPP?

Thanks!

ekposh 189 posts

Yes to all. Last one, any Amex. That’s my simple view!

BJ 657 posts

Yes to all. Last one, any Amex. That’s my simple view!

Confirming this but adding following points:-

1. Eligible for the 70k only if you have not held BA Blue or BAPP within last 24 months.
    2. Only outward travel date needs to be within 24 month validity of companion voucher.
    3. Payment can be on any amex in any name so doesn’t even need to be your own card.

swiftgti 3 posts

Thanks both, much appreciated 😊

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.