Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

• Mick S 271 posts

I’m struggling to a find a reward flight to LAS for end of June, in Club. Its a bit of a last minute work conference.

I’ve been looking at other options such as LAX, SFO, SJC, PHX, SEA and SAN but nothing suitable. I dont really want to wait until last minute and hope that something appears, although I suspect it will.

I’m considering flying to Vancouver, and then getting a the short flight over to LAS. This should be straightforward, but covid requirements add complexity. Has anyone had recent experience of something similar?

Tariq 79 posts

Yes, I flew into Vancouver in April and then a few days later took a short flight Vancouver to Portland. Used Qured remote video testing. If you only have to be in Vegas though, personally I would avoid the complexity and just fly to somewhere in the USA directly.

Finn 10 posts

Yes, I flew into Vancouver in April and then a few days later took a short flight Vancouver to Portland. Used Qured remote video testing. If you only have to be in Vegas though, personally I would avoid the complexity and just fly to somewhere in the USA directly.

@tariq
    , did you arrange this before you left the UK? I’m travelling from LHR – YVR and then from YYC – JFK and this sounds like the optimal way of doing it.

Andrew. 480 posts

You don’t need an ESTA or to Test to cross into the USA by land. So you could always fly into Vancouver and train/bus it to Seattle, or fly into Montreal/Toronto and take the Greyhound across the border.

Tariq 79 posts

Yes, with retrospect we would have taken the train if we had known it was more advantageous ref testing (crossed from Niagara by train a few years ago and was a bit of a protracted process which put us off). Couldn’t get a one-way rental car from Canada to USA.

I ordered the tests from Qured a couple of weeks before we went, booked the video slots pretty much as soon as the tests arrived – quite an easy process. At the appointment time, you just click a link and wait in a queue and you seem to get allocated to the first available agent – my wife and I both got different people. Fairly straightforward process but take a permanent marker with you (you have to write a reference number and date/time on the LFT cartridge and then photo it with your passport for them to issue the certificate).

We took NHS tests as well to do a pre-test before the main event, just to be on the safe side.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.