Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Cancelling BA Premium Plus card with negative Avios balance?

• al_wiltshire 27 posts

During covid we had a couple of cancelled flights which, after being tied up in a BA ‘future travel voucher’, eventually made it back onto our BAPP. We’d long since paid off the card, so the card sat with a negative avios balance of about 3000. Since then, spend has been going through other cards as I haven’t been able to use the companion vouchers that I already have. The cost of the card isn’t making sense.

If I cancel that card, what happens to the negative balance? Is there a fee Amex have for this sort of situation?

sloth 315 posts

During covid we had a couple of cancelled flights which, after being tied up in a BA ‘future travel voucher’, eventually made it back onto our BAPP. We’d long since paid off the card, so the card sat with a negative avios balance of about 3000. Since then, spend has been going through other cards as I haven’t been able to use the companion vouchers that I already have. The cost of the card isn’t making sense.

If I cancel that card, what happens to the negative balance? Is there a fee Amex have for this sort of situation?

It will just get written off

al_wiltshire 27 posts

It will just get written off

Thanks. The flights were booked amongst lots of other normal spend, so there’s no gaming of the system going on.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.