Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club Cancelling the return sector of a part flown trip

• findmeinthetara 12 posts

Hi all, I can’t seem to find an obvious answer to this. If I take the outbound of a return trip on a flight only cash booking, (E voucher used to pay) can I cancel the return sector after the first has been flown? For another eVoucher? (thinking of booking a one way Avios instead)

Tia…

ChrisC 956 posts

Yes as long as the flight is before 30th September when BWC is due to end.

But remember the voucher won’t be half of what you paid but a lot less because of the asymmetric elements of the fare such as APD applies ex UK but not to UK etc

findmeinthetara 12 posts

Yes as long as the flight is before 30th September when BWC is due to end.

But remember the voucher won’t be half of what you paid but a lot less because of the asymmetric elements of the fare such as APD applies ex UK but not to UK etc

Yes, that’s what I expected. (I was hoping). Not sure how I get to see the tax/charge/fare breakdown though on the return to validate.

Thanks for your help though.

N

YFP 29 posts

So I’m curious about the same question as I suspect I might have to do the same. In this case however, it was a multicity ticket, and I know for a fact the return leg was about twice the price of the outbound. i.e. EDI-LHR was about £70 for 2, and then BRU-EDI (via LHR) was about £190. Can I expect to get a similar refund?

G 32 posts

I had to do this last year. Part flown LHR-DEL return. Total cost was something like £433 and the refund was around £70. Set expectations low and you won’t be disappointed.

Booked with a evoucher but the refund was as a future travel voucher. Given the state of phone lines, I was just going to let the credit lapse but got an email a few weeks ago saying I would get a refund. No idea where this refund will go as I got the initial evoucher during the 2p per Avios deal in the summer.

Lady London 2,045 posts

Sometimes it can be worth considering pushing out the return to the end of the ticket validity if you’re not using it to keep your options open. Then when you’re ready bring date forward when you’re ready to fly (check or ask agent about fare code (ticket) rules if you can’t find them but many tickets can do this), or refund it at that time. But meanwhile, that one change could keep your options open.

This can waste less money as:-

– as @ChrisC says, you may get back a considerably smaller amount on the ticket than you might have thought
    – buying a ticket later or by another means may end up costing much more than your original ticket. Due to market price increases, potential avios price increases and above all, BA’s “tax” increases on avios tickets
    – many ticket types do preserve the pricing of later legs on the ticket to same price base as original, if changed after the first flight flown.
    – you’d have to compare change charges vs increased price of a new ticket later on that route. But for some tickets given the likely original pricing protection, it would work out

So if you could fly that route again in the time the ticket would be valid (1yr validity required as this change would be voluntary by you) making an interim change of date to latest possible “holding” date or another potential date, this could be worh considering as it keeps your options open longer to decide.

ChrisC 956 posts

Yes, that’s what I expected. (I was hoping). Not sure how I get to see the tax/charge/fare breakdown though on the return to validate.

Thanks for your help though.

N

Quickest way it to do a dummy booking and then click on ‘fare breakdown’ and you’ll see all the fare elements incluing the proper taxes and airport fees and then look at those which are purely for the return trip.

Harder for the actual fare element though as that’s not broken down.

MCO 73 posts

I had a CDG-LHR-MIA-LHR-CDG ticket on which I could not fly the CDG-LHR segment as France was not allowing visitors. Paid £1,400 for the ticket and got £30 back. Does this sound about right? I would have thought around £100-150.

giboning 13 posts

How about Avios booking with Companion vouchers? I suppose i’ll get some Avios back, but would they refund or issue a voucher for the return part of the voucher?

ChrisC 956 posts

I had a CDG-LHR-MIA-LHR-CDG ticket on which I could not fly the CDG-LHR segment as France was not allowing visitors. Paid £1,400 for the ticket and got £30 back. Does this sound about right? I would have thought around £100-150.

I’d say that was about right.

Fare element of an individual sector isn’t proportional to the cost of the entire route.

So the 30 would likely be the LHR Passenger Service charge for LHE- CDGand a very small fare element.

NorthernLass 7,573 posts

How about Avios booking with Companion vouchers? I suppose i’ll get some Avios back, but would they refund or issue a voucher for the return part of the voucher?

You’d get back what you paid in avios and cash for the cancelled leg but they won’t reissue the voucher.

JDB 4,374 posts

You only get the Avios back thanks to BWC. The official version in the T&Cs (at 17) is that once you have flown the outbound, there is no refund – “Avios will not be refunded for partially flown bookings

ChrisC 956 posts

And a reminder that BWC only applies for trips schedules before 30th September 2022

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.