Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Cape Verde

• supergraeme 128 posts

I’m looking at a December all-inclusive holiday and Cape Verde is coming up trumps in terms of cost and appearance, but some things I’ve seen mean I can’t help but feel that it’s going to be a long-haul Benidorm. Does anyone have any experience?

I asked this in the chat thread yesterday but that was probably the wrong place.

Thanks all!

Colin MacKinnon 286 posts

The islands are very varied!

Went 10 years ago to Boa Vista and Sal, two of the Barlovento islands. Boa Vista has some amazing long beaches, and some huge 2,000 occupant all-inclusive hotels. Think beached cruise ship!

This meant that there were few local places to eat and rink – the locals were simply too poor. Think women queuing to get buckets of water and very primitive waste removal, ie kids crapping on the stony harbour foreshore on their lunchbreak!

We ended up helping some French medical people who came for a fortnight to supply some care – it turned out that there was not even a single doctor on the island! So maybe not as all-inclusive as a cruise ship!

On the way over to Sal, the person next to me said: You even been here, it looks just like Mars! True enough, apart from a great beach and pier in the main town, the rest is red sand and rocks!

Both islands fun for a day or two, a week on just one might be too much.

Santo Antao and Sao Vicente were, on the other hand, quite different and the sort of place you might happily go back to.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.