Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Car finance

• andyc 12 posts

Does anyone know how I can use my American Express card to pay off the finance on my daughters car so that I can claim the points etc.
    The finance company does not except American express but does take other credit cards.
    Have thought about pay pal but not sure that would work.
    Failing that are there any other reward cards which would help.
    Andy

Carlos 758 posts

If they accept paypal you can do that directly. Ask them or google it

zapato1060 617 posts

Maybe sign up for the Barclaycard plus for Avios. As that’s normal MasterCard and will be accepted.

NorthernLass 7,474 posts

It depends what kind of points you’re collecting as well. If PayPal isn’t an option, is the idea to apply for a points-earning MC or Visa? As @zapato1060 says, the Barclaycard avios would earn you avios, plus sign up bonus and possibly the upgrade voucher. The Virgin Money MC is another option if you collect VS points.
    Also, which finance company is it and are you looking at making monthly payments for you daughter or paying off the whole amount in one go?

Luca M 391 posts

Worth also checking how they will process the transaction.. Finance companies may put it through as cash equivalent transaction, so Cards other then Debit Card, would incur in cash advance fee and interests

NorthernLass 7,474 posts

I’ve never had that with Santander, Alphabet or VW Finance, all processed as normal purchase transactions. Which reminds me I need to pay Alphabet today (with Amex!)

andyc 12 posts

Thanks for all replies will look into these.

Andy

degsy 148 posts

I’ve never had that with Santander, Alphabet or VW Finance, all processed as normal purchase transactions. Which reminds me I need to pay Alphabet today (with Amex!)

Is Alphabet now accepting Amex again @NorthernLass ?
    I’ve stopped asking as I figured the move was permanent but great news if not

NorthernLass 7,474 posts

@degsy, it’s an odd one. Long story short, I eventually worked out that their automated phone system will accept our BAPPs but not the gold MRs, we had to call them to pay with one of those. I can only assume it’s something to do with the numbers they start with? Anyway, paid with BAPP yesterday by phone, no issues.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.