Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards Chase credit cards

• VinZ 142 posts

Since it was launched in the US I’ve been dreaming about putting my hands on a Chase Sapphire card. Now that Chase operates in the UK too, do you think it’ll launch any of their cc products at some point?

Toaster 104 posts

Yes.

Maples 187 posts

They asked about our thoughts on CCs and other stuff on their community forums and surveys. Lots of people asked for CCs as well when giving feedback and Chase seem to be fully committing to the UK market.

It might take a few years to get it and I hope that the rewards are decent.

Paul B 224 posts

Probably the wrong place for this question, however does anyone know if ATM withdrawals in €’s are fee free with the Chase U.K. debit card?

VinZ 142 posts

Didn’t know about the survey. Let’s hope they come up with a good cc offer. Thank you!

Paul, this is from their website…

You can use your Chase card to pay for things or withdraw cash outside the UK. You can withdraw up to £500 a day from cash machines (whether in the UK or abroad). If travelling abroad, there is also a £1,500 limit on cash withdrawals from your Chase current account in any calendar month. We suggest enabling location services whenever you’re away to help protect you from fraud.

We don’t charge fees when you use your card abroad and we’ll apply the current Mastercard exchange rate to any purchases you make in the local currency. Local banks may charge their own fees when you use one of their cash machines and you should make sure you understand what these are before making a withdrawal. You can use your numberless card to make free withdrawals at any Chase Bank ATM in the United States.

Paul B 224 posts

Didn’t know about the survey. Let’s hope they come up with a good cc offer. Thank you!

Paul, this is from their website…

You can use your Chase card to pay for things or withdraw cash outside the UK. You can withdraw up to £500 a day from cash machines (whether in the UK or abroad). If travelling abroad, there is also a £1,500 limit on cash withdrawals from your Chase current account in any calendar month. We suggest enabling location services whenever you’re away to help protect you from fraud.

We don’t charge fees when you use your card abroad and we’ll apply the current Mastercard exchange rate to any purchases you make in the local currency. Local banks may charge their own fees when you use one of their cash machines and you should make sure you understand what these are before making a withdrawal. You can use your numberless card to make free withdrawals at any Chase Bank ATM in the United States.

Ah so it reads as if yes, I’ll be charged an ATM fee withdrawal in Europe for Euro’s. Thanks

Rui N. 831 posts

Not by Chase.

SteveJ 979 posts

Not by Chase.

Precisely.

@VinZ
    there are three ways you are charged a fee on an overseas ATM withdrawal.

1) your card issuer adds a margin to the FX rate. For the UK Chase debit card this is nil

2) your card issuer adds a fee for you using your ATM card. For the UK Chase debit card this is nil (upto £500/day & £1,500/mth)

3) the ATM operator charges a fee for using the machine. This varies and is not determined by your card issuer. For the UK Chase debit card, if you use a Chase branded ATM in the US, then this fee is nil

VinZ 142 posts

Thanks SteveJ, that was more for @Paul B rather than myself.

I never use debit cards and I use Revolut abroad (unless I can use my Italian Amex) as it gets Euros from my euro account, so no exchange fees paid ever. 🙂

SamG 1,644 posts

No fees (although €5 by the owner is becoming quite a normal fee in Europe unless you find an ATM attached to a bank)

However I’ve actually had a couple of issues using the physical debit card at cash machines and petrol pumps in France so definitely carry a backup

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

I never use debit cards and I use Revolut abroad (unless I can use my Italian Amex) as it gets Euros from my euro account, so no exchange fees paid ever. 🙂

If you leave money as GBP in your Revolut and withdraw Euros at an ATM in Europe, would there by any charges by Revolut?

Thinking it might be best to use Revolut for cash withdrawal and Curve for spending abroad.

shub 87 posts

If you leave money as GBP in your Revolut and withdraw Euros at an ATM in Europe, would there by any charges by Revolut?

Thinking it might be best to use Revolut for cash withdrawal and Curve for spending abroad.

Not charged any fee in July

Carlos 758 posts

Any ideas on what a future Chase CC would look like?

can 506 posts

I am pretty certain they can not match their US products. But in order to get some traction here in the UK they must offer something different. I’d say they’d bring their chase rewards program, like amex mr, so that people can transfer to hotels and airlines. earning rate would differ like virgin atlantic cards based on paid or free cards.

The Savage Squirrel 569 posts

around 85x55mm and probably blue. 😉

Carlos 758 posts

around 85x55mm and probably blue. 😉

I mean in terms of loyalty points, the main reason why we are all here

Harrier25 852 posts

If you let Revolut do the conversion from Euro to Sterling then no fees and interbank rate applies, unless it’s a weekend then a 0.5% uplift on Friday’s interbank rate is added. The advantage of converting to Euros on a Friday is that you will pay no uplift if withdrawn over the weekend.

Paul B 224 posts

No fees (although €5 by the owner is becoming quite a normal fee in Europe unless you find an ATM attached to a bank)

However I’ve actually had a couple of issues using the physical debit card at cash machines and petrol pumps in France so definitely carry a backup

Interesting, so my best shot at withdrawing €’s in the EU from an ATM (with Chase) is to find one attached to a bank?

Harrier25 852 posts

Depends where you are. No ATM fees are charged in Madeira.

Paul B 224 posts

Depends where you are. No ATM fees are charged in Madeira.

I’ll be in Majorca

RussellH 154 posts

I had a Chase branded Visa card back in the 1980s.
    The main reason for getting it was because back then I had difficulties in parts of the USA with people looking at the name on the card and rejecting it when they had never heard of the issuing bank – all paper slips and manual imprinters, no terminals.
    IIRC Chase pulled out of the uK during the early 1990s recession and sold their card customers to GiroBank.

Reney 766 posts

@VinZ – I saw a job ad for Chase (UK) hiring people to join a team to develop their unsecured business.

Alex G 435 posts

I had a Chase branded Visa card back in the 1980s.
    The main reason for getting it was because back then I had difficulties in parts of the USA with people looking at the name on the card and rejecting it when they had never heard of the issuing bank – all paper slips and manual imprinters, no terminals.
    IIRC Chase pulled out of the uK during the early 1990s recession and sold their card customers to GiroBank.

Me too. Chase Manhattan. Gave 1% cashback.

Luca M 391 posts

A Chase UK rewards card will be nowhere as good as their US offering and more in line with the Virgin and Barclaycard current offering.

With Regards to Chase UK debit card, I have used extensively in the EU, USA and East Africa. As far as the ATM operator does not charge a fee, you get the MasterCard near perfect exchange rate with no other fee. Within the US (where virtually all ATM operators charges), the fact that one can use Chase USA network makes it unbeatable and in addition, within the promotional period (just extended for us early bird) you also get 1% back on purchases, so again, no reason to use any other card!

Reney 766 posts

except no S75 and car rental usually needs a CC

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.