Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Friday 14th January

Chat thread – Friday 14th January

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Flyer123

Any recommendations for Travel insurance for Indian citizens travelling to UK(other than Policy Bazaar) ? Above 70 with no medical test preferred.

indiacpapa

I have a cash paid flight coming up GVA-LHR-PMI. First leg is in biz and 2nd in econ so I understand I get the biz baggage allowance. I also have IB oro so get 1 additional bag (so 3 in total which I need). Question is if i want the tier points and BA metal flights to count rather than crediting to IB can I change the ff after/at check in and get the best of both worlds? Yes I know I’m being greedy!

Bill

Does anyone have experience of using Cabify in Malaga?

What’s the difference between the vehicle options shown in the app?

I’m presented with a choice as follows:

Cabify
    Asap
    Group
    Plus
    Kids

Group appears to be a people carrier from the image in the app.

If travelling with 2 children, is it mandatory for me to select Kids ?

Neither the app or website is clear on the above

• This reply was modified 4 days, 17 hours ago by Bill.
    KP

Any recommendations for Travel insurance for Indian citizens travelling to UK(other than Policy Bazaar) ? Above 70 with no medical test preferred.

Did you have a look at the credit cards and see if they have good travel insurance? Livefromalounge is good for Indians

manilabay

Anybody know what the check in times are for Heathrow T3 with British Airways? Are they open all day? Looking to do a T3 Lounge Hop next week & BA.com is not particularly clear!

Alesio

looking to visit dublin for a few days in feb – any recomendations of hotels/apartments?

cheers

Thegasman

I have a cash paid flight coming up GVA-LHR-PMI. First leg is in biz and 2nd in econ so I understand I get the biz baggage allowance. I also have IB oro so get 1 additional bag (so 3 in total which I need). Question is if i want the tier points and BA metal flights to count rather than crediting to IB can I change the ff after/at check in and get the best of both worlds? Yes I know I’m being greedy!

IB Oro is OneWorld Sapphire = BA Silver so that’s 2 bags in Economy but also 2 in Business (you only get an extra bag if your cabin allowance is 1). You need Emerald to get 3 bags in J which would be Iberia Platinum.

You could get into the lounge by showing IB status at door but juggling FFP numbers after check in will depend on finding a willing agent & they’re not known for being particularly friendly in GVA! As mentioned above, you wouldn’t get any baggage benefits anyway so better to use IB to reserve a seat then flip them over just before check in.

slidey

Is it possible to book a flight on BA website where there are split cabins on one of the legs ie mad-lhr in economy and then the transatlantic segment in a higher cabin when booking a multi city flight (the return flight is from and to a different airport)? I cant seem to get the same flight to appear that I am able to get on google flights.

Alternatively, is is possible to use the booking link from google flights that opens the itinerary on ba site but to use the hold the flight for 3 days option that is usually presented when booking a standard return? I cant seem to get the option to appear, it just wants payment in full and I’d rather just hold the flight while I investigate other options.

KP

Anybody know what the check in times are for Heathrow T3 with British Airways? Are they open all day? Looking to do a T3 Lounge Hop next week & BA.com is not particularly clear!

BA desk in T3 is open all day.

Is it possible to book a flight on BA website where there are split cabins on one of the legs ie mad-lhr in economy and then the transatlantic segment in a higher cabin when booking a multi city flight (the return flight is from and to a different airport)? I cant seem to get the same flight to appear that I am able to get on google flights.

Alternatively, is is possible to use the booking link from google flights that opens the itinerary on ba site but to use the hold the flight for 3 days option that is usually presented when booking a standard return? I cant seem to get the option to appear, it just wants payment in full and I’d rather just hold the flight while I investigate other options.

Definitely not possible online, even through multi-city option. It might be possible via the phone lines, you’ll have to call and ask.

Bill

Answering my own question from above about Cabify. I contacted support who informed me:

Cabify Kids: admits up to 4 passengers and they always carry an approved child restraint seat of groups 1, 2 and 3, this category must be selected if the minor traveling does not exceed 135 cm.

Cabify Group: admits up to 7 passengers.

*In the As soon as possible category, there is a possibility that vehicles from the Group category will arrive. However, we cannot guarantee that it has a greater capacity than the Cabify and Taxi categories.

Andrew J

For Silver and above you can checkin any time on the day of departure from when checkin opens which I think is about 05:30.

E

I have a short term parking booking at LHR for 7 days. If I don’t arrive to park on the booked day and time (Sunday 2pm) but early the next morning instead (Monday 10am, so still within 24 hours of the booked start time), would that be OK and I’d not be charged again? It’d be in the same car as the one on the booking but we had to change the outbound to one a day later than our original flight. I don’t really want to cancel the parking booking and rebook as prices have gone up a lot since I originally booked it.

Any advice much appreciated.

Blair Waldorf Salad

looking to visit dublin for a few days in feb – any recomendations of hotels/apartments?

cheers

Purpose of visit (city sightseeing, pub crawling, coastal walking)? Preferred budget? Hotel elite statuses you hold?

Andrew.

I have a short term parking booking at LHR for 7 days. If I don’t arrive to park on the booked day and time (Sunday 2pm) but early the next morning instead (Monday 10am, so still within 24 hours of the booked start time), would that be OK and I’d not be charged again? It’d be in the same car as the one on the booking but we had to change the outbound to one a day later than our original flight. I don’t really want to cancel the parking booking and rebook as prices have gone up a lot since I originally booked it.

Any advice much appreciated.

Definitely contact the parking company involved. I got caught out once arriving just after midnight, collected my ticket and headed to my seperately booked hotel. As the barrier always opens and issues a ticket, I didn’t notice that I’d started a drive-up parking session rather than booked parking session.

I had to park in front of the barriers for over an hour arguing the case when I came to leave a week later, with Airport Police attending, and parking staff having to let other drivers out the entrance barriers before they relented and accepted I had indeed booked parking.

E

Thanks Andrew. I’ve been trying to phone them but can’t get through. It’s Heathrow’s own short term parking. But your experience is what worries me!

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Friday 14th January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.