Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Friday 17th December

Chat thread – Friday 17th December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

Please do not post here until Friday 🙂 Hopefully we will get this automated before Christmas, but we have higher priorities for Neil’s IT time at the moment.

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Peter K

7:21 and this is the first comment? Wow, this chat thread is dying 😬

Crafty

It’s never too late to admit one’s mistake…

SteveJ

7:21 and this is the first comment? Wow, this chat thread is dying 😬

Definitely a good thing IMHO, as a daily chat thread is superfluous in a forum setting.

Andrew J

Very sad loss to the world of miles and points collectors.

SteveJ

Very sad loss to the world of miles and points collectors.

Get yourself on the recent topics page, it’s far far better.

mynameisjonny

Anyone know how the France tourist ban actually works? Lots of talk of “travel from the UK” but nothing like “been in the UK in last 10 days”.

Does this mean you can just go via a third country (i.e. flying to Geneva and driving over the border) ?

AJA

“Very sad loss to the world of miles and points collectors”

As Steve above says get involved in the many topics listed in the rest of the forum. You are viewing this from the wrong perspective. Instead of daily individual chat threads you now have multiple chat threads in the forum.

Plus related historical advice and comments on each topic are there for all to see. Far easier to find and benefit from the advice posted there than simply asking the same questions over and over again in the daily chat. Besides the daily chat didn’t exist until early 2020. Before then off-topic thoughts could really only be expressed in the bits columns. Now nothing is off topic – you can ask a question in an existing thread or create a new one.

This is definitely a change but I think it’s a good thing. I only post when I have something to say or advice to impart. Now I do it on multiple individual threads instead of a daily chat. Give it a chance. I think it’s a positive 😌

Just Nick

Firstly, having been a supporter of HfP for many years, I do really miss the simple layout of the daily chat thread. It felt like a genuine family, and I appreciated the easy access to the brilliant advice from the community over a wide range of points. This forum business is great for specific issues, but it has also fundamentally removed the community “feel” of the site that got me through the long days of COVID. I have gone from checking the site a couple of times a day to no longer feeling I need to visit even on a daily basis. Overall, a real shame.

On a completely different point, I have noticed that BA have gone back to making it impossible to cancel holiday bookings online through MMB. You now have to try and call them, and we all know how hard that is even in the good times let alone now.

Aston100

Using the ‘recent topics’ button may be useful for those who are struggling to cope with having multiple threads to check.

EDIT: Oh I see we’ve got an edit function now. That is good progress. Just need a notification function when people reply to your posts and that’ll be the most important features covered (in my opinion of course).

• This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    _aDifferentSimon_

I like the chat threads and comments on the bits thread before that, as you occasionally found a nugget to improve ones point collecting or a bargain hotel / flight to be found. I think people felt OK posting stuff precisely as it was very heard to search and lost in the ether after a day or so. This made the chat thread quite compulsive reading. Yes, I know you can do site:headforpoints.com searches and yes, the bendy beardys got tiresome but I was content that the forum took so long to arrive…

PeteM

I’ve personally given up – the forum format doesn’t work for me either.

Rhys
    HfP Staff

Using the ‘recent topics’ button may be useful for those who are struggling to cope with having multiple threads to check.

EDIT: Oh I see we’ve got an edit function now. That is good progress. Just need a notification function when people reply to your posts and that’ll be the most important features covered (in my opinion of course).

It’s always been there! You can edit posts within 5 mins of posting.

The one good thing about ditching the chat thread is that it means you lot aren’t bickering over politics any more 😉 It was, at times, quite a hostile environment.

stevenhp1987

I’m finding the daily chat thread hard to follow vs the old chat/bits post on the main site.

I’m also finding the mobile version of the forum difficult. It lists each forum but I cannot see when the last post was on the main site so it’s hard to see where there’s new content.

jpa

ebay 50x Nectar missing point issue for orders near 1pm.

On a chat this morning following up my case, and they now admit it was a site wide issue, and will be fixed within 30 days for all accounts but is taking time to work through due to the large number affected. They said the ebay/nectar section will also update when it is fixed. So this progress from the usual everything will be ok and usually isn’t response from ebay for any nectar related issue.

memesweeper

Firstly, having been a supporter of HfP for many years, I do really miss the simple layout of the daily chat thread.

… and I miss the casual nuggets dropped into ‘bits’ before then. Trouble is, it doesn’t scale up to hundreds of messages a day. A forum was the answer, and I think it’s a necessary improvement given the huge number of posts the blog was attracting.

There’s nothing to stop you starting a whatsapp/telegram/signal group if you want a stream-of-chat on the topic of points/flights/hotels.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Friday 17th December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.