Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Friday 19th April

• executiveclubber 303 posts

Trying the brand new Amex Platinum lounge at Stockholm Atlanda. Pretty nice inside, fairly empty, food with table service but very little to choose from. Alcohol wise most is chargeable except a few wines. Perfectly happy with it as Finnair use a generic lounge here which is meant to be crap but I’d at least expect more alcoholic drinks to be included.

Why would they go to the effort of branding a specific Amex lounge only to have it run by a cheap contractor? They should keep it cohesive with LHR and JFK. They either want a strong brand image or should stick with Priority Pass, surely? Perhaps worth a complaint to Amex. I’d never expect to pay at an Amex Centurion lounge for a drink!

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,149 posts

Trying the brand new Amex Platinum lounge at Stockholm Atlanda. Pretty nice inside, fairly empty, food with table service but very little to choose from. Alcohol wise most is chargeable except a few wines. Perfectly happy with it as Finnair use a generic lounge here which is meant to be crap but I’d at least expect more alcoholic drinks to be included.

Why would they go to the effort of branding a specific Amex lounge only to have it run by a cheap contractor? They should keep it cohesive with LHR and JFK. They either want a strong brand image or should stick with Priority Pass, surely? Perhaps worth a complaint to Amex. I’d never expect to pay at an Amex Centurion lounge for a drink!

It’s not a Centurion lounge though. In Mexico and Australia and i thought ARN too, pre-existing Amex lounges have operated from before the Centurion concept was introduced elsewhere.

Peter K 568 posts

BA now running a competition – subscribe to Avios and ten people will win 50,000 Avios or a grand prize of a Barcelona holiday. This competition will be a nice earner for them I imagine! Balked at the prices but with only 2 weeks to enter, your chances could be pretty good?

Just ran some calculations, looks like best you can do is 0.99p/av if you do the annual plan for 200K Avios. Worst is £26/month for 1,667 avios, you are paying 1.56p/av.

The sweet spot I recon is the annual plan for 50K Avios at £549, you’re getting 1.1p/av which is cheaper than the 200K bought monthly which gets you a rate of 1.19p/av.

Here’s the breakdown – let’s really test my formatting skills 🤣

Cost £/m Avois p/Avios Cost £/yr Avios in a year p/Avios
    199 16667 1.19 1989 200000 0.99
    105 8334 1.26 1049 100000 1.05
    55 4167 1.32 549 50000 1.10
    26 1667 1.56 259 20000 1.29

* Check my maths, I’ve been known to make mistakes!

EDIT: well it looks nice in the text box but the forum software is mashing the formatting, copy it out and you’re favourite spreadsheet software of choice might be able to make it readable … I tried 🤦‍♂️

Note that different levels of subscriptions will get you different numbers of entries into the draw.

sturgeon 200 posts

Exactly, it’s a platinum lounge. The centurion lounge is next door. I’m sure both are brand new opened about a week ago. There was a temporary lounge here I read about (more like a pop up restaurant) and there was possibly a permanent lounge prior to that. I’ve never been to Stockholm but it seems terminal 5 is being totally renovated.

Regardless it does feel a bit cheap to be making platinum customers pay for most alcohol. Even at a £30 paid for lounge you get most drinks for free. The food is good though and not that I’m a connoisseur but the wine was also good.

redethernet1 91 posts

Anyone facing curve declines? Randomly not working for over a day now

phantomchickenz 333 posts

Mine worked last night

xefo 50 posts

10% back on heathrow parking on my Amex Plat.

deadmauss 2 posts

hello, my Amex renewal is next week and I do not wish to hold the card for another year, but it would suit me better to cancel for a pro-rata refund – if still possible – in early May.

Do we know if in May we could still be fine to cancel pro-rata?

I read that the reason for keeping the pro-rata refunds were the BAPP changes, but I don’t know if this means the refunds are kept until those changes become effective. Does anyone know this?

Thanks a ton 🙂

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,294 posts

Nothing will change until the fee and voucher changes have gone through, so May should be fine.

deadmauss 2 posts

Nothing will change until the fee and voucher changes have gone through, so May should be fine.

Awesome, thanks for the prompt help!

tw33ty 191 posts

I used mine in Toulouse on Wednesday , once at a supermarket and it’s went through four times, despite getting rejected at the site, then four fuel transactions have went through, again, despite getting nothing…

t0m 79 posts

Chalair is launching SOU-CFR flights 28th June Fridays and Sundays.

Who needs that route? Enough to fill an ATR72? I’m sceptical!

Richie 1,020 posts

Those who dislike ferries and driving a rhd car on the right.

t0m 79 posts

…and only want to go as far as Caen?

Richie 1,020 posts

…and only want to go as far as Caen?

There’s car hire places in Caen.

TooPoorToBeHere 259 posts

Curve working normally here.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Friday 19th April’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.