Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Friday 23rd September

Chat thread – Friday 23rd September

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

stevenhp1987

I just realised these release 10mins too early… It’s still Thursday!

Aquarius12

Only if your in the U.K. – if your in Europe or Asia it’s late (smiley face)

BuildBackBetter

I wish Rob would lock the previous day’s thread when he opens the new one. Often I start reading the daily thread wondering how there are so many comments early morning only to realise it was yesterday’s thread!

kevind

Urgent advice needed!

I am on AA105 to JFK from LHR today. I’ve missed my connecting flight from Dublin to LHR (with BA), but I am in Belfast airport and have got on a Flybe flight to Heathrow. Should be ok time-wise. But as I am going to technically “miss” my first leg, will they assume I’m a no show for the LHR-JFK too? I can’t get speaking to any BA staff here in Belfast and needless to say, cannot get through to BA or American on the telephone. Anyone got any ideas what I can do?
    Thanks

Andrew J

Urgent advice needed!

I am on AA105 to JFK from LHR today. I’ve missed my connecting flight from Dublin to LHR (with BA), but I am in Belfast airport and have got on a Flybe flight to Heathrow. Should be ok time-wise. But as I am going to technically “miss” my first leg, will they assume I’m a no show for the LHR-JFK too? I can’t get speaking to any BA staff here in Belfast and needless to say, cannot get through to BA or American on the telephone. Anyone got any ideas what I can do?
    Thanks

If you don’t take the first leg of your flight then it will be cancelled – this is to stop people getting a bargain fare out of Dublin and then just turning up to LHR to take the long haul sector at a lower price than if they bought it starting in Dublin. Once you get to LHR, go to AA ticketing desk and see what they will allow you to do.

SamG

Urgent advice needed!

Thanks

With a lot of typing at the airport it’ll be OK I’d say due the cancelled first sector. AA105 is full in J though so if you were flying biz you might end up on a different flight. I would keep trying AA though, did you try their chat in their app?

SamG

Urgent advice needed!

Thanks

If you don’t take the first leg of your flight then it will be cancelled – this is to stop people getting a bargain fare out of Dublin and then just turning up to LHR to take the long haul sector at a lower price than if they bought it starting in Dublin. Once you get to LHR, go to AA ticketing desk and see what they will allow you to do.

Almost certainly OK in this scenario due to the cancelled first sector. The flight needs to be rebooked anyway and they’ll do this from LHR almost certainly, especially as you can hopefully deal with AA who still have ticket staff at LHR

Otherwise agree, need to approach this situation with extreme caution. Going to Dublin may have been more sensible anyway as they could have got you on Aer Lingus or Delta direct

MattB

He has missed the flight though, didnt say it was cancelled. Assuming it is the 6.30am from DUB looks like it ran albeit a bit delayed.

BJ

Edinburgh to Bangkok mow just over a month away but just been notified of the seventh (yes, 7th!) change/cancellation to our itinerary, all seven by the airlines. Fortunately, just a 5 minute schedule change this time but it’s all very frustrating even though this is just leisure travel, I feel really sorry for all of you travelling regularly for business these days.

Michael C

Edinburgh to Bangkok mow just over a month away but just been notified of the seventh (yes, 7th!) change/cancellation to our itinerary, all seven by the airlines. Fortunately, just a 5 minute schedule change this time but it’s all very frustrating even though this is just leisure travel, I feel really sorry for all of you travelling regularly for business these days.

As long as you get there, BJ! Full report afterwards, pls.
    For now we have 241 SIN in July, looking at a o/w return from BKK on Eva in Aug.

SamG

He has missed the flight though, didnt say it was cancelled. Assuming it is the 6.30am from DUB looks like it ran albeit a bit delayed.

Ohhh yes. sorry. was too early. Then yep that’s bad. With AA it’s still possible something can be done, they’ve got a lot more flexibility than BA in my experience and the integrations are flaky so it’s possible the LHR-JFK didn’t get cancelled straight away on their side anyway and you could just board as normal. @kevind please report back, hopefully worked out OK for you?

rontse

Hong Kong ended hotel quarantine requirement.

BJ

As long as you get there, BJ! Full report afterwards, pls.
    For now we have 241 SIN in July, looking at a o/w return from BKK on Eva in Aug.

Thanks. Yes, I’ll be happy just to get there in business with no drama and hopefully nothing to report. Sri Lanka used to be excellent for one way cash flights back from BKK but unfortunately fares priced in US dollars so doubt they will be good at the moment. Therd is also the other problems going on in Sri Lanka so best avoided. Others to check are Oman and Finnair. I’ve often seen Finnair for about £1100 and you’d get avios and TP too.

dougzz99

Ohhh yes. sorry. was too early. Then yep that’s bad. With AA it’s still possible something can be done, they’ve got a lot more flexibility than BA in my experience and the integrations are flaky so it’s possible the LHR-JFK didn’t get cancelled straight away on their side anyway and you could just board as normal. @kevind please report back, hopefully worked out OK for you?

Can you offer why you think this is better on AA. In my experience AA are pretty good at rebooking options due to irops, but a variant of hidden city ticketing like this they’re all over it. Hopefully he’ll get a sympathetic agent but I wouldn’t expect other than buying a new ticket.

Sadly I think @Kevind is shafted here, although I hope things work out for him.

SamG

Can you offer why you think this is better on AA. In my experience AA are pretty good at rebooking options due to irops, but a variant of hidden city ticketing like this they’re all over it. Hopefully he’ll get a sympathetic agent but I wouldn’t expect other than buying a new ticket.

Just my experience of their agents (especially at their lounges), they really want to help out and make things work for you and have a lot of autonomy to make things happen in their system (partly because it’s so old and lacks controls I think!)

But it’s been a few years since my regular experiences flying with them/in IRROPs & as you say I’m sure they’ve seen this before with people trying to get a cheaper ticket and not realising they had to fly from DUB. I also think turning up in London may not have been the best idea here without speaking to them first. Fingers crossed though.

SamG

@dougzz99 I wrote a long reply but system ate it (and probably this one). AA does have a “flat tyre rule” but essentially more hope than any specific reason but I think if you’re going to do this with any airline then AA one of the more likely airlines to get you on your way. Their agents (especially lounge agents) are very helpful and have quite a bit of autonomy in their systems

I do agree that turning up in London probably wasn’t the best idea without speaking to them first although going to DUB and trying to speak to BA probably wouldn’t have yielding any useful results these days

memesweeper

Hong Kong ended hotel quarantine requirement.

Story here: https://hongkongfp.com/2022/09/23/breaking-hong-kong-to-axe-covid-19-hotel-quarantine-requirement-for-arrivals/

Tl;dr still probably too much hassle for leisure travel.

Keely

Morning think I saw reference to this a couple of days ago – BA agent just confirmed existing 241 bookings can now be changed to any destination /zone without cancelling and rebooking. Can now just be done over the phone and will be subject to £35 change fee.

Blair Waldorf Salad

Are we all missing the headline here that he’s nowhere near DUB on the morning of his flight; an airport that from early doors would be crawling with AA agents he could have spoken to. The whole Belfast thing just smacks of hidden city and I think very lucky if he gets any kind of gesture.

R2

New AIRTIME code:

Enter the code FRIDAY23 and spend £8 or more by midnight to earn a £1 bonus. Hurry, there are only 2,000 codes available!

New users: Download Airtime Rewards for free with my code 9PMJ3M3F and save money off your phone bill every time you shop with brands like Boots, Greggs, Wilko, Argos and loads more: https://airtimerewards.app.link/friend

chistery

The TAP data breach data is making its way around the web it seems as one my emails was found by have I been pwned.

Breach: TAP Air Portugal
    Date of breach: 25 Aug 2022
    Accounts found: 5,067,990
    Compromised data: Dates of birth, Email addresses, Genders, Names, Nationalities, Phone numbers, Physical addresses, Salutations, Spoken languages
    Description: In August 2022, the Portuguese airline TAP Air Portugal was the target of a ransomware attack perpetrated by the Ragnar Locker gang who later leaked the compromised data via a public dark web site. Over 5M unique email addresses were exposed alongside other personal data including names, genders, DoBs, phone numbers and physical addresses.

MarkSX

Have a Virgin voucher. I see SFO-LHR is 37.5k miles + 325USD for Premium and 77.5k miles + 875USD for Upper Class. If I were to use my upgrade voucher, am I paying 325USD or 875USD in taxes?

Is the only way to do the upgrade to call-in, after booking my Premium air ticket?

Richie

Had a Norse mega seat sale e mail, book by the 26th Sept.

Mr. AC

The Barclaycard credit checker has finally decided so smile upon me for some inscrutable reason and is saying I’ll be accepted.

@Rob
    , if it were you, would you apply or wait for a higher bonus some time down the line?

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Friday 23rd September’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.