Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Friday 23rd September

Chat thread – Friday 23rd September

• NorthernLass

Have a Virgin voucher. I see SFO-LHR is 37.5k miles + 325USD for Premium and 77.5k miles + 875USD for Upper Class. If I were to use my upgrade voucher, am I paying 325USD or 875USD in taxes?

Is the only way to do the upgrade to call-in, after booking my Premium air ticket?

Sorry, I reported instead of quoted! I would do the whole thing on the phone as the award seats have to be available and they might disappear while you’re booking your tickets.

Nick_M

Does anybody know if the Elizabeth Line will be affected by the rail strikes next week? – Specifically looking to get from Woolwich to Heathrow

Thanks 🙂

redlilly

Does anybody know if the Elizabeth Line will be affected by the rail strikes next week? – Specifically looking to get from Woolwich to Heathrow

Thanks 🙂

No, you’ll be fine – as the Lizzy line forms part of TFL. Here is a link to the list of the lines affected:

https://inews.co.uk/news/train-strikes-when-next-full-list-rail-strike-dates-october-2022-lines-affected-1867941

MattB

Have a Virgin voucher. I see SFO-LHR is 37.5k miles + 325USD for Premium and 77.5k miles + 875USD for Upper Class. If I were to use my upgrade voucher, am I paying 325USD or 875USD in taxes?

Is the only way to do the upgrade to call-in, after booking my Premium air ticket?

$875

WaynedP

Sadly I think @Kevind is shafted here, although I hope things work out for him.

Surely @Kevind can prove his bona fides with his replacement ticket stub verifying that he has indeed flown into LHR, albeit from Belfast not from the original DUB departure point ?

WaynedP

I wish Rob would lock the previous day’s thread when he opens the new one. Often I start reading the daily thread wondering how there are so many comments early morning only to realise it was yesterday’s thread!

Grand idea – I, for one, would be delighted to lose the opportunity to comment on previous days’ threads to avoid the inconvenience of anyone actually having to wipe the sleep from their eyes properly before diving into the HfP Daily Thread 😉

Nick_M

Thanks 🙂

No, you’ll be fine – as the Lizzy line forms part of TFL. Here is a link to the list of the lines affected:

https://inews.co.uk/news/train-strikes-when-next-full-list-rail-strike-dates-october-2022-lines-affected-1867941

Super, thank you.

I wasn’t sure what it was classed as and saw that London Overground was included in the operators affected

jollymartian

Combine my Avios help!

I’m trying to empty out points from an Iberia Avios account that are about to expire. I’m trying to go via AerClub but I can’t find the link within AerClub to pull the points from Iberia.

Can someone point me to the link within AerClub that I’m missing please?

Pushing the other way – from Iberia to AerClub – doesn’t work either 🤨

THanks, J.

dougzz99

Surely @Kevind can prove his bona fides with his replacement ticket stub verifying that he has indeed flown into LHR, albeit from Belfast not from the original DUB departure point ?

I’m not sure why you’d think this? Booking from A, and then trying to join the itinerary at B by showing a ticket to B from C seems like a series of random unrelated events to me. I don’t think AA will see this as anything other than a variation on hidden city, which they pursue through legal means when it suits them.

Hopefully OP will return and tell us the outcome when he has time. I think he’d have a better case if he’d gone to Dublin and spoke directly to AA. I think being at Dublin would have given him a stronger case to argue. Without more detail on why he chose Belfast it’s hard to really judge. But if just choosing a more convenient airport I think AA will not think kindly of his situation.

Panda Mick

Not sure if this has been mentioned but EWR (Newark) is being removed from the NYC bucket.

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/32201-newark-lose-nyc-city-code-iata

Not sure how this will affect folk, but it will become painful once airlines such as Virgin resume Newark flights

JDB

Sadly I think @Kevind is shafted here, although I hope things work out for him.

He could perhaps and pay the £185 APD if they are awake as AA will have to pay it.

Rui N.

The only way it will affect you is if there are IRROPS some agents might refuse you to book to another NYC airport (as it will not show on their systems as being on the same city), or might need manager’s approval to do it. Otherwise, no changes to passenger, it just an administrative change.

Cranky Flier explains it better: https://crankyflier.com/2022/09/13/newark-leaving-the-nyc-city-code-is-not-a-big-deal/

can

BBC says the Chancellor is introducing tax free shopping back. Would it apply to UK passport holders at airports?

Harrier25

As far as I’m aware it applies to foreign visitors to the UK only. But what a strange mini budget. Liz has big balls!

Lady London

Combine my Avios help!

I’m trying to empty out points from an Iberia Avios account that are about to expire. I’m trying to go via AerClub but I can’t find the link within AerClub to pull the points from Iberia.

Can someone point me to the link within AerClub that I’m missing please?

Pushing the other way – from Iberia to AerClub – doesn’t work either 🤨

THanks, J.

use avios.com as an intermediary. pull out of iberia not push. many reports of this not working at all with Iberia quite recently though so start trying quickly to avoid running out of time.

Lady London

The TAP data breach data is making its way around the web it seems as one my emails was found by have I been pwned.

Breach: TAP Air Portugal
    Date of breach: 25 Aug 2022
    Accounts found: 5,067,990
    Compromised data: Dates of birth, Email addresses, Genders, Names, Nationalities, Phone numbers, Physical addresses, Salutations, Spoken languages
    Description: In August 2022, the Portuguese airline TAP Air Portugal was the target of a ransomware attack perpetrated by the Ragnar Locker gang who later leaked the compromised data via a public dark web site. Over 5M unique email addresses were exposed alongside other personal data including names, genders, DoBs, phone numbers and physical addresses.

I am not registered with TAP, but I am with IHG. I have had an escalating uptick in spam in the past week and am certain it’s IHG’s breach that caused it.

The only other thing it could be is another BA breach I suppose but I have no recent activity with them.

AJA

Thanks 🙂

I am not so sure that the ElizabethbLine is immune. I received this from TfL

Dear Mr Abbotts,

National rail strikes are taking place on Saturday 1, Wednesday 5 and Saturday 8 October.

The majority of TfL’s services will run, but some disruption is expected for services that rely on sections of track operated by Network Rail.

We expect some disruption on the following lines:

London Overground
    Elizabeth line
    District line between Wimbledon and Parsons Green, and between Richmond and Turnham GreenBakerloo line between Queen’s Park and Harrow and Wealdstone
    National rail Customers using these services the day after each strike are advised that they should be back to normal by late morning

Carlos

As far as I’m aware it applies to foreign visitors to the UK only. But what a strange mini budget. Liz has big balls!

yes if you are departing the uk. They are reverting back the restriction they placed in Jan 2021. This likely also means it will be tax free if you visit Europe as we are now outside of the EEU.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/sep/23/british-retailers-welcome-planned-return-vat-free-shopping-tourists

The scheme will enable tourists to get a refund on VAT on goods bought on the high street, at airports and other departure points and exported from the UK in their personal baggage.

The move, which will cost almost £1.3bn in 2024-25, when it is likely to be brought in – according to government documents published alongside Kwasi Kwarteng’s mini-budget on Friday – unwinds the scrapping of the long-term VAT-free scheme in January 2021 by the former chancellor Rishi Sunak after Brexit.

Carlos

BBC says the Chancellor is introducing tax free shopping back. Would it apply to UK passport holders at airports?

yes if you are departing the uk. They are reverting back the restriction they placed in Jan 2021. This likely also means it will be tax free if you visit Europe as we are now outside of the EEU.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/sep/23/british-retailers-welcome-planned-return-vat-free-shopping-tourists

The scheme will enable tourists to get a refund on VAT on goods bought on the high street, at airports and other departure points and exported from the UK in their personal baggage.

The move, which will cost almost £1.3bn in 2024-25, when it is likely to be brought in – according to government documents published alongside Kwasi Kwarteng’s mini-budget on Friday – unwinds the scrapping of the long-term VAT-free scheme in January 2021 by the former chancellor Rishi Sunak after Brexit.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.