Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Friday 24th December

Chat thread – Friday 24th December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Aston100

Good evening from the Crapital Hilton, Washington DC where the coat hangers number thirteen and are stealable; the kettle doesn’t exist; the coffee making machine is broken; the hair dryer is broken; the safe is broken; the shaving mirror is broken; the curtains are broken; the English spoken by the staff is broken; my hopes and dreams are broken.

Oh and between three and four sheets are required per wipe.

NorthernLass

Oh no, @Aston100! But at least you enjoyed getting there and I imagine DC is quite stunning at this time of year.

OK, hypothetical middle of the night question. If you were booking avios flights and there was very limited F availability, would you book F for yourself and put the rest of the family in J? Would it spoil the CCR experience if you were in there on your own?

Amy C

No, I think it would enhance the experience. But I’m an anti social git.

meta

Oh no, @Aston100! But at least you enjoyed getting there and I imagine DC is quite stunning at this time of year.

OK, hypothetical middle of the night question. If you were booking avios flights and there was very limited F availability, would you book F for yourself and put the rest of the family in J? Would it spoil the CCR experience if you were in there on your own?

My partner would not approve. I had a thought of putting us in F&J on ANA when I thought that I won’t be able to secure two seats in F. We had a long discussion about the benefits of ANA J… But it might be that more seats open closer to the flight date. Set up alerts. I would also do book a backup where you could all be in the same cabin if of course you have enough miles.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by meta.
    Hbommie

No brainer if there’s x2 F, only x1…🤔

lev441

Anyone have any experience of transferring points from bonvoy to aeroplan/air canada? If so how long did the transfer take?

Ladyshopper

The very first business class flights I did on avios (which took me forever to save) was on Aer Lingus from Dublin to Boston when it was a really cheap redemption before they changed it. It was me and the 2 kids, who were around 16 and 17 at the time I think.

There were only 2 business class seats available for both flights, so one of them had to go in economy each way. Felt a bit mean, but it was the only way we could do it.

My daughter was very happy that I managed to persuade the flight attendant to give me a spare WiFi code, which I went and gave to her in economy on the way there!

Reney

Before some of the generous sign up offers during the last 2 years, I only earn enough avios for one seat in J or a pair using a 2-4-1. Last time I flew I put my parents in Business and I flew in economy. My mum came to ‘visit me’. I was bronze and BA kindly upgraded me to PE in one direction. I would not consider putting my older parents in economy whilst I was in J.

bhanorthy

Wishing all HFPers, Rob and Rhys a very Merry Christmas. Lets drink to more fun and games in 2022.
    I discovered this site 2-3 years ago and since then I’ve stayed in multiple high priced hotels on points at big events (F1 races), flown first and business across multiple airlines, something I dreamt of before taking up this points collecting hobby. Have a nice break everyone!

chrism20

Airtime code “XMASEVE” posted on Facebook half an hour ago. £2 back on £10 spend. First 2000 people only

NorthernLass

@Reney – happily no elderly parents or economy seats in my plans! Thinking along the lines of OH and me in F and 17 year old in J. I can think of a couple of readers who would say put the teenager in Y though 😂

Liz

@Reney – happily no elderly parents or economy seats in my plans! Thinking along the lines of OH and me in F and 17 year old in J. I can think of a couple of readers who would say put the teenager in Y though 😂

Northern Lass – is that you Anna? Or has Anna disappeared since the forum launched.

Tony1

Good evening from the Crapital Hilton, Washington DC where the coat hangers number thirteen and are stealable; the kettle doesn’t exist; the coffee making machine is broken; the hair dryer is broken; the safe is broken; the shaving mirror is broken; the curtains are broken; the English spoken by the staff is broken; my hopes and dreams are broken.

Oh and between three and four sheets are required per wipe.

Sounds like you are in an Ibis …. hope not
    Happy Christmas and stay safe

Laura

Happy Christmas Eve.

Did anyone else get the random ‘Christmas Card’ from Amex today, which was actually an advert for the enhanced refer a friend bonuses?

Guernsey Globetrotter

Hurrah for the new style quote system where I no longer have to guess where the original post ended and the reply starts! The forums will be a great resource once the inevitable teething issues are dealt with…

Also, I take this opportunity to wish all this supportive community a truly wonderful Christmas and here’s hoping that the New Year brings us some relief from travel chaos and lots of exciting points opportunities! I for one am hoping that trips to the Maldives in Feb and Barbados in May, both being bargainous J class travel and top end resorts at bottom end prices thanks to you lot, can still go ahead!!

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Friday 24th December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.