Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Friday 25th November

Chat thread – Friday 25th November

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

aviosnewbie33

Maldives in end-May? I saw CW seats yesterday exactly for the May half-term break and snapped them up; also managed to make a redemption booking in the grand water villas at the Conrad! But then realised, this would be rainy season there. Has anyone been to the Maldives towards end-May/early-June? And if it does rain, how bad can it get? Will the water still be clear and the sand just as nice? Will also appreciate any other tips, given Maldives seems to be a very popular destination with hfp fam, and it’ll be our 1st time there!

Scottpat78

Morning from MAN T2 – very quiet at 5am and through security in 10 mins.

T2 with recent refurb is a world away from last months T3 departure. 1903 lounge was calm and pleasant.

Must say though, even though a security officer was enforcing rules pre scanning and asking questions several times over to people, the amount of bags going for secondary screening was huge. Luckily I unpacked well and made it through first time.

The trek to SYD begins!

Super Secret Stuff

Currently at the HIX Heathrow T4, sadly not flying anywhere but can confirm very good apron / runway views!

SteveJ

Maldives in end-May? I saw CW seats yesterday exactly for the May half-term break and snapped them up; also managed to make a redemption booking in the grand water villas at the Conrad! But then realised, this would be rainy season there. Has anyone been to the Maldives towards end-May/early-June? And if it does rain, how bad can it get? Will the water still be clear and the sand just as nice? Will also appreciate any other tips, given Maldives seems to be a very popular destination with hfp fam, and it’ll be our 1st time there!

Been in May. Rain can be heavy, but often short and sharp. Still lots of sun throughout the day and still just as beautiful.

If you have no other option than that time of year I’d not let rainy season put you off.

u07ch

In a warmed world i’m not sure old views of seasons work anymore.

I went Mid May for a few weeks this year; did a week at Intercontinental 10-17 and two weeks at Park Hyatt after that. Was a cancelled trip from March 2021 when I was locked down.

In a week at IC it rained short tropical storm rain for up to an hour mins every day; and we had one day of consistent heavy rain. The water was VERY choppy anyway. The rain it didn’t make a huge difference when snorkelling. Didn’t dive at IC. It was a bit murky; but reef sucked so didn’t really bother me.

Park Hyatt it rained one evening (arrived when a Typhoon was hitting the other side of India and caught the tail of it) was very windy, rough water. Next day the house reef was clear every day (and it’s excellent almost as good as Bora Bora.) Diving at PH was good at the 3 sites I visited.

As a comparison went to Laamu last November (2021) and the water was rough and cloudy every day. You could hardly see the house reef. Was only there for a week so didn’t go diving.

Travel Strong

Who else forgot to double dip Nectar power hour with 5% TCB? Kicking myself :’) but only made a £50 purchase anyway.

Oviplokos1

Tile pro for 15£ on their website (i m on android otherwise would buy airtag) – any experience from the community?

ClubSmed

Who else forgot to double dip Nectar power hour with 5% TCB? Kicking myself :’) but only made a £50 purchase anyway.

I thought I had 3% Quidco activated via the Chrome Plug-in, but it does not seem to be showing on my account.

Seagull

Did anyone else order the Wine Advent Calendar from Virgin Red a couple of weeks ago? I did and not received it yet and impossible to get a response from customer service. Anyone got theirs yet? Time to start drinking it next week!

hak

Does anyone know how long BA are taking to respond to missing Avios and TP requests? Put mine in on Monday so would have thought a reply would have been forthcoming by now. Then again, it is BA…

buchanan101

Managed it… 12 bags of coffee beans…

Treble dip goes without saying: 1.5 Avios/£ obvs

Harrier25

Managed it… 12 bags of coffee beans…

Treble dip goes without saying: 1.5 Avios/£ obvs

I also received an additional 5% cashback going via TopCashback on a purchase of 80 toilet rolls! 😳

Jake

Did anyone else order the Wine Advent Calendar from Virgin Red a couple of weeks ago? I did and not received it yet and impossible to get a response from customer service. Anyone got theirs yet? Time to start drinking it next week!

Ordered myself on the 11th November. Gave Virgin Wines a call with the order number from the Virgin Red app/email confirmation.

They said it was dispatched to Yodel two days ago and should get an email/notification with a delivery slot likely on Monday.

Would recommend giving Virgin Wines a call (0343 224 1001) to look into just to make sure but sounds like they’re on their way! 🙂

BA Flyer IHG Stayer

Ordered myself on the 11th November. Gave Virgin Wines a call with the order number from the Virgin Red app/email confirmation.

They said it was dispatched to Yodel two days ago and should get an email/notification with a delivery slot likely on Monday.

Would recommend giving Virgin Wines a call (0343 224 1001) to look into just to make sure but sounds like they’re on their way! 🙂

I emailed V Red last Friday who came back with the message from V wine ‘we’re very busy’

Have chased up again today.

2 weeks without any communication from V wines is just unacceptable.

ClubSmed

I thought I had 3% Quidco activated via the Chrome Plug-in, but it does not seem to be showing on my account.

FFS
    Just seen that the seller cancelled and refunded my £300 ebay order at 1:15pm. So looks like i am going to miss out on my 9k nectar points

Froggee

Ouch. If it makes you feel better I indulged in a couple of £25 “boost” promotions from one of these sites that gives you £ back.

£100 = £25 back on both.

So I bought Mrs Froggee an Apple Pencil 2 for £119 from Curry’s. I then got the spawn some Switch games from Argos. I suddenly remembered the whole net of VAT thing so added some batteries at Argos to get the order past £120.

Curry’s has tracked at £99.17 whereas Argos has tracked at the full amount including postage.

So I bought batteries I didn’t need from Argos and will likely lose out on £25 off an Apple Pencil from Curry’s unless they genuinely mean spend £100 as opposed to having £100 tracked spend.

Them’s the rubs I guess. At least Mrs Froggee actually wants the Apple Pencil having put in a formal written request for it for her birthday.

davedent

I have booked flights from USM-SIN_KUL with Bangkok airways then Malaysian was going to fly from KUL now SIN. Will they still insist on checking bags through to KUL ?

ee

Ouch. If it makes you feel better I indulged in a couple of £25 “boost” promotions from one of these sites that gives you £ back.

£100 = £25 back on both.

So I bought Mrs Froggee an Apple Pencil 2 for £119 from Curry’s. I then got the spawn some Switch games from Argos. I suddenly remembered the whole net of VAT thing so added some batteries at Argos to get the order past £120.

Curry’s has tracked at £99.17 whereas Argos has tracked at the full amount including postage.

So I bought batteries I didn’t need from Argos and will likely lose out on £25 off an Apple Pencil from Curry’s unless they genuinely mean spend £100 as opposed to having £100 tracked spend.

Them’s the rubs I guess. At least Mrs Froggee actually wants the Apple Pencil having put in a formal written request for it for her birthday.

You may be OK. I took part in a similar Very offer recently and gross of VAT I was over the threshold but net I was under. The transaction tracked at the net amount but the bonus tracked OK.

duke

I bought some of the gold virgin salt and pepper pots in virgin red. 1000 points per pair

AndyGWP

I bought some of the gold virgin salt and pepper pots in virgin red. 1000 points per pair

ah…. Did I miss this? I can see plenty of other stuff on offer but no Wilbur & Orville’s 😫

AndyGWP

Ignore me! I was filtered on Black Friday category but it’s just in the Virgin Companies section 🙂 can’t resist for 1000 points!

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Friday 25th November’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.