Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Friday 31st December

Chat thread – Friday 31st December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Jordan D

Posted this late in the day yesterday on one of the articles, but just trying to wrap up using the IHG Free Night certificates expiring today, issued via my Creation (Black) card. Just wanted to check – is it possible to book them under another guest’s name / change the name on the booking afterwards? Am looking to use them (I have two expiring, my wife one) for my parents for a trip.

Any help welcome.

aseftel

Posted this late in the day yesterday on one of the articles, but just trying to wrap up using the IHG Free Night certificates expiring today, issued via my Creation (Black) card. Just wanted to check – is it possible to book them under another guest’s name / change the name on the booking afterwards? Am looking to use them (I have two expiring, my wife one) for my parents for a trip.

Any help welcome.

I haven’t tried it, but I believe you can call up to make the reservation in another person’s name (you certainly can with regular points redemptions).

JS

I have a couple turkish miles expiring today, I would be happy to book a one way flight with united in the us if anyone could do with it

Simon de Scoob

Sainsbury’s (physical) GC [email protected] — any advice gratefully received! 🙂

About a month ago, I spent £400.00 on a physical Sainsbury’s GC in order to trigger the Sainsbury’s Nectar bonus. However, it’s only now that I’m discovering that physical GCs cannot be used online for Sainsbury’s shopping — only eGift Cards can be used online. Rookie error, I know.

As I’ve not physically been inside a Sainsbury’s store in almost two years (I have underlying health issues which continue to disincline me to do so) are there any ways that I could either convert my physical GC into an eGift Card (I doubt it) or cash it out for another store’s GC, e.g. buying a JL GC with my physical Sainsbury’s GC (again, I suspect this may not be possible?)?

Any creative input would be sorely welcomed and much appreciated! Thank you.

Tom2

About a month ago, I spent £400.00 on a physical Sainsbury’s GC in order to trigger the Sainsbury’s Nectar bonus. However, it’s only now that I’m discovering that physical GCs cannot be used online for Sainsbury’s shopping — only eGift Cards can be used online. Rookie error, I know.

As I’ve not physically been inside a Sainsbury’s store in almost two years (I have underlying health issues which continue to disincline me to do so) are there any ways that I could either convert my physical GC into an eGift Card (I doubt it) or cash it out for another store’s GC, e.g. buying a JL GC with my physical Sainsbury’s GC (again, I suspect this may not be possible?)?

Card Yard (marketplace for selling gift cards) could be an easy (albeit at a loss to you) cashout method. I think you should be able to use the GC to buy JL GC in store (you certainly can use Morrison’s GCs to buy other GCs).

youneedtobeyourself

I can vouch for cardyard, I’ve bought and sold probably over £100k through them, they are honest and respectable and the commission they charge is very modest when you consider what a nightmare it is to audit these things.

Zoe P

Could you call Sainsburys and see if they could swap it for you? Worth a try maybe?

John

You don’t know anyone who would take the gift card and buy you an online one? I would. But there are some weird restrictions on the online Sainsburys gift card too

Andrew.

Probably best to sell it to a friend or family member for no less than 95% of value. (Sazbo’s GCs are generally available at a 2.5% to 5.0% discount).

Be very careful not to let it expire.

Simon de Scoob

I can vouch for cardyard, I’ve bought and sold probably over £100k through them, they are honest and respectable and the commission they charge is very modest when you consider what a nightmare it is to audit these things.

Many thanks, youneedtobeyourself. I’ll certainly have a look at CardYard. Much obliged! 😉

• This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    Simon de Scoob

Probably best to sell it to a friend or family member for no less than 95% of value. (Sazbo’s GCs are generally available at a 2.5% to 5.0% discount).

Be very careful not to let it expire.

That’s also a great suggestion, Andrew — many thanks indeed. 😉

Simon de Scoob

Could you call Sainsburys and see if they could swap it for you? Worth a try maybe?

Many thanks, Zoe.

Simon de Scoob

Card Yard (marketplace for selling gift cards) could be an easy (albeit at a loss to you) cashout method. I think you should be able to use the GC to buy JL GC in store (you certainly can use Morrison’s GCs to buy other GCs).

Thanks so much, Tom2. Encouraging to hear I might be able to cash out, but if all else fails, Cardyard looks a great shout. Thank you!

Simon de Scoob

You don’t know anyone who would take the gift card and buy you an online one? I would. But there are some weird restrictions on the online Sainsburys gift card too

I hadn’t thought of that, John — great suggestion!

Tony1

Happy New Year to all at HfP and lets hope that 2022 will be better than 2020 and 2021
    See you in the lounge somewhere, hopefully soon.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Friday 31st December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.