Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Friday 5th August

Chat thread – Friday 5th August

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Arcadio

Morning. I need 20 tier points to reach next level. I would be obliged for any advice on one return with the best convenience (any London airport) and lowest cost. To be completed in next 3 months..

Froggee

I’ll start. Use low fare finder for Inverness. Or Edinburgh, Glasgow etc. you may even fancy going to one of these places

Book cheapest economy there from London. Book business class back. 25 tier points.

It looks like Inverness is the cheapest coming in at approximately £150. I believe at Inverness, the plane you take there is the plane that comes back so it would minimise risk and time.

Hopefully someone can take it as a challenge to beat that. And confirm Inverness is back to back!

ChrisC

Inverness is not quite back to back as you need to re clear security. The issue is getting BA to sell you a return ticket for it due to the MCT rather then two singles which would bump up the cost.

I think EDI and NCL are back to back ok – there is a thread on this in the BA flyer talk forum – as in you get off into the same gate area as the departing passengers are getting ready to board.

AMS is definitely back to back and has options from all three London airports and usually some good prices as well and sometimes cheaper than UK domestics.

NorthernLass

Surely LON-EDI is 40 TPs one way in CE? That’s what I always get for MAN-LHR

AJA

Yes Anna is correct. One way in CE anywhere in the UK is 40TP. I think I’d book a one-way in CE to any zone 1 destination with reward seat availability in the other direction. Or book a return and reduce the cost with Avios.

Froggee

@Northern!ass – I was thinking that in the shower! And then thought, it makes no difference as one way in business and the other in economy will be the most efficient way.

I pretty sure it used to be 20 hence my slip. Back in the day, 2x EDI-LHR-HKG wasn’t quite enough to get silver.

BuildBackBetter

Morning. I need 20 tier points to reach next level. I would be obliged for any advice on one return with the best convenience (any London airport) and lowest cost. To be completed in next 3 months..

https://speedbird.online/fares.php?view=LowestFares&Selection=Lowest_Fares_Overall

Carlos

Trying to buy (another) urban massage gift card but the amount selection option button is now missing
    Can someone else try? https://www.paypal.com/uk/gifts/brands/urbanmassage

NorthernLass

Not in the same league as the £996 Barclaycard fraud but some miscreant charged a large glass of Chardonnay to our room at the Doubletree Piccadilly at the weekend! Hopefully the hotel will refund it (and tighten up their procedures, the person had just put an illegible scrawl in the name line) after I told them we weren’t even in the building when it happened according to the time on the receipt.

I’ve no idea whether it was a genuine mistake on the part of another guest or some random person who walked in off the street and decided they fancied a free glass of wine …

• This reply was modified 4 days, 17 hours ago by NorthernLass.
    chistery

I’ve just found out that I can add my Virgin Atlantic Credit Card (Virgin Money) to Google Pay. Years of VM saying it’s coming soon, they add it and don’t seem to tell anyone!

George K

Hey folks – after a bit of insight from any experts of BA’s 777s.

We seem to have drawn the 77H (https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-77h) for our flights to and from MLE next year. Obviously this could change, but I was wondering what the collective wisdom would say about the best WT seats for a family of three in that configuration. Currently eyeing either 49ABC of 49HJK, which looks to be the last row of the three-seater blocks. Can’t do row 40 (exit row) as child is considerably younger than 12, so looking for the next best thing. Are there any quirks with row 49?

Other thoughts welcome!

AJA

Not in the same league as the £996 Barclaycard fraud but some miscreant charged a large glass of Chardonnay to our room at the Doubletree Piccadilly at the weekend! Hopefully the hotel will refund it (and tighten up their procedures, the person had just put an illegible scrawl in the name line) after I told them we weren’t even in the building when it happened according to the time on the receipt.

I’ve no idea whether it was a genuine mistake on the part of another guest or some random person who walked in off the street and decided they fancied a free glass of wine …

When did you notice? Have you already paid and checked out? I always review the bill before paying at check out. I take my time and have stood to one side to allow others to check out in the meantime.

As for it being charged to your room it could be because the person forgot their actual room number. I nearly did that in Coimbra as I mistakenly quoted the room number from my hotel in Lisbon. It was only because the hotel in Coimbra didn’t have so many rooms that the bartender questioned the room number.

In any event if you’ve proven that you weren’t even in the hotel at the time I would hope they would cancel the charge

Michael C

Bit bleary-eyed but…now the proud possessor of 2-4-1 SIN in J for next summer!
    Did it online, refreshing page at 0100h – 3 seconds according to a Live Clock.

NorthernLass

@AJA – we were in a rush to get home and the only charge was for parking so it was always going to be obvious if anything was amiss, so I just asked them to email it.
    I did say it could be a genuine mistake by another guest (as you’ve quoted!)

NorthernLass

Felicidades! That tired feeling all day will be accompanied by a warm glow of satisfaction, IME 😂

mark2

My wife and I have loads of Hilton points and are both Gold (until end 22).
    We want to stay for a few days in December near Windsor and are considering Syon Park and HGI Kingston upon Thames. Cab anyone comment on which would be better please, especially breakfast? We are old and boring.

AL

We want to stay for a few days in December near Windsor and are considering Syon Park and HGI Kingston upon Thames. Cab anyone comment on which would be better please, especially breakfast? We are old and boring.

Do you meant the DT Kingston, rather than the HGI? It may well have rebranded. I’ve stayed when it was a DT, and it was usual DT service, modern, and pretty much in the centre of Kingston upon Thames. Seemed fine – nothing to write home about, yet nothing to complain about.

Syon Park fits my architectural nerdiness (look at that Scandi-esque front entrance!). Whilst the rooms are fine, the decor is a little bit gauche. The grounds, however, are nice, and the little terrace that they used to use as the Exec Club is good. Location-wise, it’s nearer to other parts of west London, but you’d probably need some transport to get around as it isn’t exactly near anything else in walkable distance.

BJ

Well done 🙂 I was going to do same thing last week for our return seats but in the end I couldn’t resist the bet on HKG to save £500+ plus 15k avios. Out to HND so living very dangerously.

BJ

Hey folks – after a bit of insight from any experts of BA’s 777s.

We seem to have drawn the 77H (https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-77h) for our flights to and from MLE next year. Obviously this could change, but I was wondering what the collective wisdom would say about the best WT seats for a family of three in that configuration. Currently eyeing either 49ABC of 49HJK, which looks to be the last row of the three-seater blocks. Can’t do row 40 (exit row) as child is considerably younger than 12, so looking for the next best thing. Are there any quirks with row 49?

Other thoughts welcome!

Watch out for nonreclining seats in back rows. If you cannot get a triple then two sears either side of aisle and one inside adjacent seat might work best to minimise disturbance and provide greatest comfort..

MCO

I am looking at downgrading my BA premium plus to basic. I have some points still to transfer across. If I downgrade will that effect the points? Could I loose out the .5 bonus per £1 on the premium plus card.

BJ

We want to stay for a few days in December near Windsor and are considering Syon Park and HGI Kingston upon Thames. Cab anyone comment on which would be better please, especially breakfast? We are old and boring.[/quot

[quote quote=370517]My wife and I have loads of Hilton points and are both Gold (until end 22).

Going by car Mark? Hilton Wembley? Newer full service hotel with parking choices, shopping and eating in immediate vicinity at outlet, subway and overground choices nearby. So long as there are no events on it used to be dirt cheap on points, not quite so good these days since devaluation. There is also HI Wembley that used to be old Hilton I think.

TicknBash

It seems that Hilton Phuket Arcadia will no longer be operating as a Hilton from 1st Jan.

BJ

@MCO, your points are fine. Any earnings following downgrade will be at lower rate, even whilst continuing to use BAPP awaiting arrival of new card.

@Ticknbash
    , yes but no great loss really. Wasn t worth the increasing prices in cash or points. Hilton now looking very weak in Thailand compared to the other major chains. IHG going in opposite direction, some nice new options at mid to high end.

George K

Watch out for nonreclining seats in back rows. If you cannot get a triple then two sears either side of aisle and one inside adjacent seat might work best to minimise disturbance and provide greatest comfort..

Thank you @BJ – I am not aware of non-reclining seats in the middle of the Y cabin, so that wasn’t a concern. Should it be?

I’ve got pretty much the entire cabin to play with in terms of seat selection, so there’s no question of nabbing the seats we want. I guess what I’m really asking is: Which are the best seats for a family of three on Economy on the 777? Is it as forward as possible on either side of the 3-4-3 config, is it the last row of three seats on either side before it becomes 2-4-2 (which is what I’ve put us down for), or is it indeed what you alluded to, which is 2 seats on the sides of the 2-4-2 section with one person seating on the middle section.

I may be overthinking this

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Friday 5th August’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.