Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Monday 20th December

Chat thread – Monday 20th December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

Please do not post here until Monday 🙂 Hopefully we will get this automated before Christmas, but we have higher priorities for Neil’s IT time at the moment.

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

FCP

Some help / advice please.

I have a Miles & More booking with Lufthansa, Middle East – UK for next April.
    They have changed the M.E. – FRA flight to 1 day later, which is not ideal.
    Has anybody had any luck getting Lufthansa to re-book to a different, non Star airline?
    Turkish have flights, but they are on shorthaul A321 aircraft which i don’t see the point of in business class.
    They did non offer re-booking on the standard email they sent me, but did include a link to passenger rights, which is the EU261.

Basically wondering if any point at all trying to get booked on to Etihad or if i am just wasting my time.

Zana

Some interesting Amex offers showed up this morning – £10 or more, get £10 back at (a) Pasty Shop (b) Caffe Ritazza (c) Millie’s Cookies and (d) Upper Crust. Useful if you frequent mainline train stations.

Somchai

Thailands Health Minister proposing cancellation of Test and Go

Yuff

Thailands Health Minister proposing cancellation of Test and Go

If omicron turns out to be milder, but more contagious( which is a given) then what is the point of monitoring the spread of covid?
    Times reporting 9 out if 10 patients needing hospital treatment are unvaccinated.
    Why should we restrict everyone else, the almost 1m people daily getting boosters, because of a minority?
    Make unvaccinated people pay for hospital treatment if they catch covid, then see how quickly their anti vax views vanish…….

bgs

I need to change an Avios booking. The new booking would be in a different class. Anyway to do this on line without calling (already waited an hour on the phone yesterday!)

AndyGWP

When I first looked at travel to the US, you needed a test 3 days prior to departure

This subsequently changed to 1 day prior to departure

I’ve noticed that some testing websites are now saying it needs to be 24 hours prior to departure

I can’t seem to find the official wording.

Is it 1 day or 24 hours? 🤔

NorthernLass

I need to change an Avios booking. The new booking would be in a different class. Anyway to do this on line without calling (already waited an hour on the phone yesterday!)

Not at present, unless BA cancels your flight, in which case you could get an online refund and re-book. If you’ve got enough avios and time I would suggest making a new booking for the flights you want and then pursue a refund for the original booking at your leisure.

AJA

As Anna/NorthernLass says why not just book a new flight entiry and then cancel the existing booking? You will have to pay a change fee which is no different to the cancellation fee. Or cancel the existing booking for an FTV for the existing booking and wait for BA to refund you

bgs

Not at present, unless BA cancels your flight, in which case you could get an online refund and re-book. If you’ve got enough avios and time I would suggest making a new booking for the flights you want and then pursue a refund for the original booking at your leisure.

If I book the new flight and then cancel the old one, could I retrospectively apply the voucher towards the new booking? Maybe after a formal complaint?

aviosnewbie33

those who had planned to travel during Christmas, are you folks still going ahead with the plans or have people been cancelling? We’re scheduled to fly out to LA on wednesday, and having second thoughts reading all the omicron news.

berneslai

Hit 50 nights at Marriott a few days ago but no email mentioning my status renewal or referencing the 50 might gift. Is it all done at year end now?

NorthernLass

those who had planned to travel during Christmas, are you folks still going ahead with the plans or have people been cancelling? We’re scheduled to fly out to LA on wednesday, and having second thoughts reading all the omicron news.

I was just about to ask the same thing! I would definitely be going somewhere warm unless it was actually illegal lol. As it happens (due to work restrictions), we have 3 nights booked in Edinburgh and just waiting to see if either side closes borders! All our activities will be in our family bubble and we’ll be doing LFTs daily over the holiday period due to contact with elderly relatives, so I don’t feel we pose much risk.

aseftel

Some interesting Amex offers showed up this morning – £10 or more, get £10 back at (a) Pasty Shop (b) Caffe Ritazza (c) Millie’s Cookies and (d) Upper Crust. Useful if you frequent mainline train stations.

I also have Spend £5 Get £5 at Pumpkin Cafe

Ant_

Do anyone have experience of cancelling an American Airlines reward booking via BA.com, do you only lose the taxes and charges paid up to £35, as the HfPs article suggests or do you need to pay $55 to have the Avios refunded, as the BA website suggests?

Andrew.

All organised to drive to Perthshire for Christmas. My biggest anxiety is using the loos at the service stations, maybe should see if I can get a colleague to catheter me for the trip. I’ve done the 400 mile drive non-stop many times though.

We’ve all been careful throughout, but even more so in the run up to Christmas. Four 80-somethings at the Christmas table, and everyone except the 5 year old is triple vaxxed.

Ladyshopper

We’ve just cancelled our trip to Tenerife. The only reason we’ve done this is because we have a weekend away booked a few days after it, and I’ve booked loads of things including 2 shows (it’s my husband’s Christmas present).

I didn’t want to risk not being able to do the weekend away, albeit I highly suspect we’ll be back in lockdown by then anyway!

2Point4Children

Good Morning

First post of the new forum!

My wife and I are taking our 2yr old and 4yr old to Florida in April and need some advice!

We are planning to stay near LHR T5 the day before and wanted to get some recommendations for the best family rooms. I would also really appreciate some guidance in booking the best Hotel/Parking package, interconnected rooms (if necessary), etc?

Thank you in advance. Tom

ChrisC

Do anyone have experience of cancelling an American Airlines reward booking via BA.com, do you only lose the taxes and charges paid up to £35, as the HfPs article suggests or do you need to pay $55 to have the Avios refunded, as the BA website suggests?

If the cash element is less than £35 then thats all you pay. If they are more than that all you’ll pay is the £35.

There is no BA redeposit fee.

dst87

I have no Christmas plans, but I do have a couple nights booked at the InterContinental in Edinburgh over new year, and planning to go to the garden party / fireworks. Reckon the street party stuff might get cancelled, and we can cancel the hotel if we decide against it… though the idea of relaxing in a nice hotel suite for a couple of nights is quite appealing anyway, so… 🤷‍♂️

• This reply was modified 52 years, 5 months ago by .
    bgs

If I book the new flight and then cancel the old one, could I retrospectively apply the voucher towards the new booking? Maybe after a formal complaint?

In the end I cancelled via chat and got the avios back and made a new booking, losing out on the cancellation fee. I have made a complaint to try to recoup it.

SteveJ

Good Morning

My wife and I are taking our 2yr old and 4yr old to Florida in April and need some advice!

We are planning to stay near LHR T5 the day before and wanted to get some recommendations for the best family rooms. I would also really appreciate some guidance in booking the best Hotel/Parking package, interconnected rooms (if necessary), etc?

mr_jetlag replied to you last night with this suggestion:

Sofitel for convenience, they have adjoining twin rooms.

meta

Flew to Abu Dhabi/Dubai on Saturday and coming back just before NYE. First long-haul(ish) trip since pandemic started. We were weighing whether to cancel or not when I read about Polly’s story, but decided to take a risk. Was really worried about PCR on arrival, but all very civilised. The swabs are very gentle and only one nostril. By the time we had shower and drank coffee in the arrivals lounge, got our results back.

Glad we did. Feel much safer here than in Europe/UK. Mask wearing enforced. You have to wear it everywhere even outside apart from beach/pool and restaurants. Also you can’t you can’t enter anywhere without the green pass. We walked yesterday around downtown Abu Dhabi, went to a public park, guards on entry verified that we have the green pass. PCR test valid for 14 days if you’re vaccinated.

Now enjoying Conrad Abu Dhabi at Etihad Towers! Short review in Hilton section later. They let us check-in at 9:30am which was great.

John

$55 fees are the equivalent of £35 fees if your BA account is registered in the US and some other countries – in which case the taxes and charges on your redemption would have been charged in $ as well

• This reply was modified 52 years, 5 months ago by .
    2Point4Children

Thanks Steve – I missed that comment. Thanks to you and Mr_jetlag. Will get onto Sofitel!

Good Morning

mr_jetlag replied to you last night with this suggestion:

Sofitel for convenience, they have adjoining twin rooms.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Monday 20th December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.