Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Monday 20th December

Chat thread – Monday 20th December

Topic closed
  • scottishwolf

those who had planned to travel during Christmas, are you folks still going ahead with the plans or have people been cancelling? We’re scheduled to fly out to LA on wednesday, and having second thoughts reading all the omicron news.

Currently nearing the end of a trip to Dubai and I’m 100% happy we came. If I had no commitments back in the UK then I’d extend my trip without a moment’s thought. It’s hard to describe how normal other parts of the world are when then UK is whipped up into a frenzy and everywhere you turn has negative news/predictions.

StaggerLee

When I first looked at travel to the US, you needed a test 3 days prior to departure

This subsequently changed to 1 day prior to departure

I’ve noticed that some testing websites are now saying it needs to be 24 hours prior to departure

I can’t seem to find the official wording.

Is it 1 day or 24 hours? 🤔

I ran through the CDC checklist this meonring of what is required for entry and got this.

“You must get a viral test no more than 1 day before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and show a copy of your negative test result.”

AndyGWP

When I first looked at travel to the US, you needed a test 3 days prior to departure

I’ve noticed that some testing websites are now saying it needs to be 24 hours prior to departure

I ran through the CDC checklist this meonring of what is required for entry and got this.

“You must get a viral test no more than 1 day before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and show a copy of your negative test result.”

Thanks. It was a last minute panic. My test result (over 24 hours before departure, but within 1 day before it) has been approved by the airline, so must be all good 🙂

Reeferman

Is anyone else having problems logging-in to the BA app?
    I’ve tried removing the App/reloading and rebooting the iPhone – but to no avail (msg says “sorry we are unable to log you in”)
    I’ve also tried just a flight search for a forthcoming booking (where you don’t have to log-in) – but no luck there either (msg says “we are unable to retrieve your booking)
    Logging-in on my MacBook is fine.
    Any advice/guidance appreciated
    Thanks

NorthernLass

Rob & Rhys, I have just been confronted with captcha and instructions to identify all the pictures containing a bus! Have mercy on us …

soloflyer1977

I miss the old chat thread. It was always a good 5-10 min read.

NorthernLass

@bgs – if you cancelled the flight you’re liable for the charges.

memesweeper

Good Morning

First post of the new forum!

My wife and I are taking our 2yr old and 4yr old to Florida in April and need some advice!

We are planning to stay near LHR T5 the day before and wanted to get some recommendations for the best family rooms. I would also really appreciate some guidance in booking the best Hotel/Parking package, interconnected rooms (if necessary), etc?

Thank you in advance. Tom

There’s a decent sized family room at the Premier Inn T4. You’ll need to get a local bus to T5, or a taxi. We took the bus, it was still free last summer!

KP

I miss the old chat thread. It was always a good 5-10 min read.

_____

…And I wonder what is stopping you from having a good 5-10min read here?

NorthernLass

I need to change an Avios booking. The new booking would be in a different class. Anyway to do this on line without calling (already waited an hour on the phone yesterday!)

Not at present, unless BA cancels your flight, in which case you could get an online refund and re-book. If you’ve got enough avios and time I would suggest making a new booking for the flights you want and then pursue a refund for the original booking at your leisure.

If I book the new flight and then cancel the old one, could I retrospectively apply the voucher towards the new booking? Maybe after a formal complaint?

In the end I cancelled via chat and got the avios back and made a new booking, losing out on the cancellation fee. I have made a complaint to try to recoup it.

Surely as you cancelled you are liable for the fee?

soloflyer1977

nothing at all KP but I am sure we can all see there are far less posts with the new format.

lev441

those who had planned to travel during Christmas, are you folks still going ahead with the plans or have people been cancelling? We’re scheduled to fly out to LA on wednesday, and having second thoughts reading all the omicron news.

Flew to Dubai yesterday and do not regret a thing. The scaremongering and negative Nancys in the UK is just too much right now abs I’m just glad for a change of scenery and two weeks of winter sun.

I am glad I got out of the UK when I did…

Supergers49

My tuppence worth on the “Old Chat Thread” versus “Forum” debate is that I find myself spending less time on the Chat Thread, less time visiting the HfP website and I miss the conversational style of the old Chat Thread. However, I really like having a home for the Creation Bashing (a favourite passtime of mine) and Flight Cancellation conversations. In addition, with the exception of Forum Bashing, there is less negativity in the daily Chat Thread (IMO).

Therefore, I am going to give this time, be cognizant that things are never perfect, they rarely work first time, and be thankful that BA weren’t in charge of the migration from Old Chat Thread to the Forums!

KP

nothing at all KP but I am sure we can all see there are far less posts with the new format.

Yes but that’s because topics have been split across various threads/titles. Which means you can dip and out of whichever topic you want to. We all don’t need to listedn to Che/Bendy/etc etc coversations which frankly speaking most people dont care about

soloflyer1977

Yes but that’s because topics have been split across various threads/titles. Which means you can dip and out of whichever topic you want to. We all don’t need to listedn to Che/Bendy/etc etc coversations which frankly speaking most people dont care about

Fair enough. Happy Christmas KP!

Magic Mike

Hit 50 nights at Marriott a few days ago but no email mentioning my status renewal or referencing the 50 might gift. Is it all done at year end now?

I got an email 6 days later. Alternatively there’s https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/ but that might not let you select the benefit until Marriott’s systems have caught up with your stay.

Gin and Tonic Please

Direct quote from the CDC website:

“The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday”

• This reply was modified 52 years, 5 months ago by .
    Iranicus

Can anyone give advice relating to ebay and the 50x nectar points offer from Black Friday?

I bought an expensive item between 12:00 and 1:00. I was due to receive something like 10,000 nectar points. These were not posted and I contacted ebay several times, who kept telling me to wait until the 28 day period was up. They said don’t worry, you will get the points.

Then today I contacted ebay again, and the member of staff requested proof from my end that I had saved the offer to my account. I definitely saved it, and checked several times. I have no proof of this, because who saves proof of this kind of thing?

How can I push for these points to be awarded? They’re a significant sum, and so it’s obvious why lots of people are having trouble with ebay awarding this promotion (lots of people had their transaction time moved outside of the period)

Lady London

Some help / advice please.

I have a Miles & More booking with Lufthansa, Middle East – UK for next April.
    They have changed the M.E. – FRA flight to 1 day later, which is not ideal.
    Has anybody had any luck getting Lufthansa to re-book to a different, non Star airline?
    Turkish have flights, but they are on shorthaul A321 aircraft which i don’t see the point of in business class.
    They did non offer re-booking on the standard email they sent me, but did include a link to passenger rights, which is the EU261.

Basically wondering if any point at all trying to get booked on to Etihad or if i am just wasting my time.

Lady London

I need to change an Avios booking. The new booking would be in a different class. ….

In the end I cancelled via chat and got the avios back and made a new booking, losing out on the cancellation fee. I have made a complaint to try to recoup it.

As far as I know the change fee would be £35 so I don’t think complaining about the fee would be justified.

Theoretically it’s the same as cancellation fee £35. But practically on cancellation people just lose whatever ‘taxes’ they paid if less. And no, don’t go calling the airline about it that’s what we’ve observed for years.

bgs

I need to change an Avios booking. The new booking would be in a different class. Anyway to do this on line without calling (already waited an hour on the phone yesterday!)

Not at present, unless BA cancels your flight, in which case you could get an online refund and re-book. If you’ve got enough avios and time I would suggest making a new booking for the flights you want and then pursue a refund for the original booking at your leisure.

If I book the new flight and then cancel the old one, could I retrospectively apply the voucher towards the new booking? Maybe after a formal complaint?

My logic is that they promised that I had the right to change for free, but then made it impossible for me to use that right (by not answering the phone even after 1h45 mins), forcing me to do it by cancellation and rebooking. Refunding the fee so that I am back where I would have been if they made it feasible to rebook seems fair to me.

It is not much money anyway in the end if it doesn’t work…

The Savage Squirrel

Thanks Steve – I missed that comment. Thanks to you and Mr_jetlag. Will get onto Sofitel!

mr_jetlag replied to you last night with this suggestion:

Sofitel for convenience, they have adjoining twin rooms.

And that right there is why using a forum with individually titled threads is better than a daily thread that dies at midnight. Imagine how many thousands of helpful replies have been missed for this reason…

2Point4Children if you ask your question by starting a new titled thread post in the “Destination Advice” section of the forum then it will not get lost amongst general chat within an hour. It has the chance to attract views (who are interested or knowledgeable on that topic) and replies for hours and days afterwards, so you are more likely to get high quality responses. You can also easily see if it has attracted further replies at any time in the future using the “engagements” section of your “Account” menu and can be confident that any replies to your thread are likely on-topic and so helpful.

Lady London

Some help / advice please.

I have a Miles & More booking with Lufthansa, Middle East – UK for next April.
    They have changed the M.E. – FRA flight to 1 day later, which is not ideal.
    Has anybody had any luck getting Lufthansa to re-book to a different, non Star airline?
    Turkish have flights, but they are on shorthaul A321 aircraft which i don’t see the point of in business class.
    They did non offer re-booking on the standard email they sent me, but did include a link to passenger rights, which is the EU261.

Basically wondering if any point at all trying to get booked on to Etihad or if i am just wasting my time.

sorry FCP just typed you a very detailed reply and submitted it but it has not appeared. I am sorry I don’t have much time today as I generally type one finger on an Android smartphone and I just can’t do it again.

I hope my reply appears later it’s possibly because the system is trashing Edits if the Save time is beyond 5mins due to one finger typing on a decent reply. Captcha’s coming up in lots of two for boats and buses is also happening today. Who knows why, but I’ve run out of time.

davedent

Its usually instant or within 24 hours – have you been offered the my choice gift (SNAS) ?

slidey

Has there been a change to the locator form day 2 test code validation? I had an old test from a few months ago that ended up not needing to be used but which had previously been entered on the plf. Was planning on using it for a recent trip, so put the code in on the form and it said it wasnt valid?

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Monday 20th December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.