Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Monday 24th June

• SteveR 52 posts

Multi Leg checking in suitcases at 2nd leg.

Does anyone konw of this can be done.? Imaginary flight Dublin – LHR – Anywhere

Fly to Dublin for pennies with no luggage.

Catch scheduled flight, but don’t check in any luggage. Meet luggage at LHR then check it in

Aston100 1,494 posts

Reasonable noise cancelling headphones are a necessity when travelling.
    It’s the only way to protect yourself from the noise of inconsiderate fellow passengers.
    Something like Bose qc45 or Sony xm4 or xm5 will do the job perfect well.

Unfortunately, they cannot protect you from seat recliners.

PeteM 804 posts

Hi all, just about to head off on hols and wanted to generate an insurance certificate from the Amex Plat / AXA website.

But I can’t – it keeps saying ‘Sorry an error has occurred’. I’ve been on to AMEX Chat, who just repeated the link and told me to try a different browser, which i’ve done – plus via my mobile but still can’t do it.

Do I actually need to generate one each time I travel or does the cover apply automatically and the certificate is more to show others if it’s needed?

Cheers

You do not need the certificate unless someone specifically asks for it – you are insured regardless.

PeteM 804 posts

Reasonable noise cancelling headphones are a necessity when travelling.
    It’s the only way to protect yourself from the noise of inconsiderate fellow passengers.
    Something like Bose qc45 or Sony xm4 or xm5 will do the job perfect well.

Unfortunately, they cannot protect you from seat recliners.

I usually travel alone and will have noise cancelling earphones in. It’s a bigger issue when you’re travelling with others, want to chat and can’t because you’re being drowned out by an iPad/phone/drunken screaming…!

Although I did have to ask a lady to keep it down once at T5 Galleries when her FaceTime call was so loud I could still hear it through my earphones and pretty loud music… This was in the middle of Covid too 🙂

NorthernLass 8,484 posts

@Amy C, absolutely – I just just fervently wishing they would incorporate some of this into cabin announcements the other day!

When we were in Doha last December I pointed out to a 60-something chap at the pool that the film he was watching on his phone was really loud and he had the good grace to put in his ear buds (why he didn’t do that anyway remains a mystery). It was subsequently a bit disconcerting when, having finished his film, he proceeded to a make phone call in Russian (I had a quick panic that he might be arranging my demise for being so presumptuous) 😱😂

However, here in GCM I’ve been pleasantly surprised to see new notices on the beaches instructing “NO LOUD MUSIC”, so people must have got tired of competing boom boxes! There’s also an etiquette guide in the latest tourist brochure reminding visitors of local laws they’re expected to follow, e.g. no topless sunbathing, no drugs, don’t interfere with the wildlife, etc.

It’s also way too hot for any kind of lounge wear 😂

JDB 4,849 posts

@NICKN – what’s funny is that people like the one in the library often appear completely unaware of how loud they are. I remember (and mentioned it here) a woman of a certain age in the BA North lounge on a video call describing a sexual encounter in the most excruciating detail, with the bloke’s inadequate anatomy and technique being very graphically analysed. One of her many disappointments was the loss of her stick on nail ultimately discovered to be somewhere awkward to retrieve. I was sitting on one of the bar stools not that close and I looked at my neighbour who was shaking her head and smiling; all conversation had stopped within a quite a big radius and people were staring. At some point the woman looked up, suddenly realised and rapidly exited.

I have often heard people loudly discussing unannounced corporate transactions relating to listed companies and as for the number of blokes having a perfunctory call with their wife before or after a much longer call in an entirely different tone of voice… Anyway, it adds a bit of interest when travelling alone.

NorthernLass 8,484 posts

It also makes me wonder whether these people aren’t similarly bothered when other people watch films, etc, in their earshot!

tw33ty 212 posts

Pete, I just use my phone and wallet and keys when buying them and each triggers the weight sensor on the self serve, it’s worked in Morrisons for me at all the ones I’ve ever used, from Edinburgh to Ealing

NICK N 49 posts

@NICKN – what’s funny is that people like the one in the library often appear completely unaware of how loud they are. I remember (and mentioned it here) a woman of a certain age in the BA North lounge on a video call describing a sexual encounter in the most excruciating detail, with the bloke’s inadequate anatomy and technique being very graphically analysed. One of her many disappointments was the loss of her stick on nail ultimately discovered to be somewhere awkward to retrieve. I was sitting on one of the bar stools not that close and I looked at my neighbour who was shaking her head and smiling; all conversation had stopped within a quite a big radius and people were staring. At some point the woman looked up, suddenly realised and rapidly exited.

I have often heard people loudly discussing unannounced corporate transactions relating to listed companies and as for the number of blokes having a perfunctory call with their wife before or after a much longer call in an entirely different tone of voice… Anyway, it adds a bit of interest when travelling alone.

I agree 100% people will have the most inappropriate conversations right in front of you, I just sit back smile and wait for them to notice I have heard everything, which usually leave them embarrassed or mortified. I did have one woman check with me that I heard her conversation, I confirmed I had and she apologised, I assured her there was no need as it was very funny, from my prospective, but then I was not being spoken about, if I had I would have been crushed

JDB 4,849 posts

Hi all, just about to head off on hols and wanted to generate an insurance certificate from the Amex Plat / AXA website.

But I can’t – it keeps saying ‘Sorry an error has occurred’. I’ve been on to AMEX Chat, who just repeated the link and told me to try a different browser, which i’ve done – plus via my mobile but still can’t do it.

Do I actually need to generate one each time I travel or does the cover apply automatically and the certificate is more to show others if it’s needed?

Cheers

As indicated by @PeteM above, while it’s not a requirement to have an insurance certificate with you, it may prove useful to have one in certain jurisdictions. Although one hopes never to need it, a printed piece of paper from a global name like Amex/Axa/HSBC can be remarkably helpful. At a minimum, it’s worth every member of your travelling party having their own and other other people’s policy details in their phone – claims line, policy number or card/account number, just in case.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,189 posts

Probabl just me but my VS Mastercard May statement landed 2 pages shorter than usual. No breakdown of points earned and no points awarded since April for card spend. June’s statement has come through today at typical page length and points already awarded.

BBbetter 819 posts

Never had gift cards not track at Morrisons via Amex, just use the self service and you don’t get the Spanish Inquisition of who you’re buying them for.

Last time I did it the self-checkout just wouldn’t play ball – even with a Coke in the bagging area. Was sent to a staffed till, the duty manager had to approve the transaction after grilling me – absolutely not worth it for the saving!

Was that because the machine didnt recognise the weight of the gift card after scanning it? I usually place a small chocolate bar or something similar to force the machine to identify the change in weight. Worked for me so far.

BBbetter 819 posts

@NICKN – what’s funny is that people like the one in the library often appear completely unaware of how loud they are.

At the other end, I am so paranoid, I always remove the headphones for a few seconds to check if others can hear what i hear, before putting it back. Some headphones can be leaky and loud!

BBbetter 819 posts

It was subsequently a bit disconcerting when, having finished his film, he proceeded to a make phone call in Russian (I had a quick panic that he might be arranging my demise for being so presumptuous) 😱😂

He was probably telling his mate “if she complains again…”

BBbetter 819 posts

don’t interfere with the wildlife, etc.

Reminds me of a recent video of an African safari, where a group was playing loud music, talking loudly, passing food between themselves while in the forest and littering everywhere. They even tried to pet a lion, just for ‘fun’ on social media. I just wish the lion was more annoyed than we are.

MF176 207 posts

Hilton Gold via Plat but not a frequent stayer.

Chances of a check in earlier than the advertised 3pm, at a Hampton on a Sunday?

Thanks

byronlewis 44 posts

Thanks for the replies all, i’ll just make a note of the contact details as I can’t get a certificate.

Fyi Birmingham Airport today…the fasttrack was the best fiver i’ve spent! Travelling through at 2pm was still heaving, and had to queue for the lounge via a virtual queue. Otherwise a decent experience. Can’t imagine the chaos early morning if the afternoon is anything to go by.

Andrew. 516 posts

On my next visit a guy in his 50’s took a mobile phone call and for the next 30 minutes proceeded to talk in a loud voice, so loud I couldnt hear myself think. I asked the member of staff, who had told the kids to quieten down, to have a word with him, I was told there is no quiet/silence rule in library’s anymore, I pointed out that conflicted with the staff member threatening to chuck out the kids, there was a lengthy pause so I offered to deal with the loud guy myself, I was told not to and that they would ‘have a word with him’ when he finished his call. It ended when I walked up and told him to shut the F up or go elsewehere to sort out his mess of a life. Funnily enough he did

Completely the wrong process. Should have moved across, sat next to him and joined in the call. “Finish the call darling and come back to bed”. Add in some crudeness if it helps.

I was on a Bosphorous cruise yesterday and woman next to me was constantly blasting tinny music from her phone

At least if it’s on a Bluetooth speaker there’s the option to take-over the speaker from your own device and play something different. Everyone loves “Agadoo”.

As for reclining seats there’s little you can do other than to recline your own. I definitely bring it to the attention of crew if it’s during take off or during the food service but other times it’s the luck of the draw.

Depends on how far they’ve reclined and on how tall the individual is. I’m a tall front sleeper and Have had reclining passengers object to me resting my travel pillow on their head as I take advantage of their position.

mark2 133 posts

Last time I did it the self-checkout just wouldn’t play ball – even with a Coke in the bagging area. Was sent to a staffed till, the duty manager had to approve the transaction after grilling me – absolutely not worth it for the saving!

Was that because the machine didnt recognise the weight of the gift card after scanning it? I usually place a small chocolate bar or something similar to force the machine to identify the change in weight. Worked for me so far.

That certainly used to be the case, but recently it does not seem to be necssary.

Biki 122 posts

last week in the lounge at Prague airport 2 guys sat behind me and had a very loud conversation and phone calls, enough to find them on linkedin in 30 seconds (very senior person at a large investment bank). They also walked off from the table to get drinks, leaving laptops open with a client presentation so i know which very well known british comunications company appear to be getting refinanced. I did wonder whether to drop a note to their compliance team! I asked a couple of friends who work in banking what they throught and they said it would be instant dismissal if someone reported them doing something similar, so didn’t know whether it was worth it or not.

davedent 63 posts

Good evening from the lovely if slightly dated IC Jimbaran Bali – not complaining for 33k points and just one night ! In a huge Balinese suite so generally happy.

Aston100 1,494 posts

Nice. How many levels of upgrade was that Dave?

iEimis 85 posts

Was wondering if folks have any recommendations on what to spend the £50 HN credit on? Was going to go in and buy a gift card but it’s actually a more complicated route from the office than I thought it would be and the tube is going to be hot this week.

George K 310 posts

Cheers

I had this issue. I can’t recall exactly how I sorted it, but it turns out that if you accessed the link via Amex, it would bypass the separate login process that Axa also requires (and is separate to your Amex account). So – once you get to the Axa site, make sure you log in, and then request the certificate. It should work. I got mine last week.

Like others have indicated, most of the time you don’t need the certificate. However it does show up on some countries’ entry requirements list, alongside proof of funds, proof of onward travel, etc. Better be safe than sorry!

davefl 1,452 posts

So after the successful status match to Virgin Gold from Feb’s promotion it’s basically rewarded me on the two Delta internal flights that I’ve taken with $140 of free checked bags and the abaility to move myself forward 7 rows to a preferred seat. Group 4 boarding on DL doesn’t mean a lot.

It’s likely the last time I’ll fly VS for a long while, so maybe I’ll make use of it on KLM/AF later this year or next.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Monday 24th June’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.