Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Monday 27th December

Chat thread – Monday 27th December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

pbcold

Good morning. I`m due to fly to Mauritius on Friday and the weather forecast looks pretty grotty. Does anyone have experience of travelling there at this time of year please?

meta

Good morning. I`m due to fly to Mauritius on Friday and the weather forecast looks pretty grotty. Does anyone have experience of travelling there at this time of year please?

It’s the worst time of the year. From end of December till mid/end Feb, it’s the monsoon season and can get quite grim with storms and everything. That’s why I was really surprised when BA opened up reward seats in November for Xmas and New Year’s and everyone rushed to book without checking…

If you still decide to go, the only part of the island where you might escape it, is the northeast (around Pereyebere and Grande Baie), but it won’t be as sunny.

pbcold

That is extremely helpful, thank you. It costs 180,000 avios so I shall have a think.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by pbcold.
    iamlost

I came back from Mauritius 3 days ago. The BBC weather forecast was thunderstorms almost every day I was there. The reality couldn’t have been more different. Nearly every morning had clear blue skies, and afternoons were partly cloudy with only two tropical showers the entire week, neither of which lasted long. Admittedly the last day I was there saw more variable weather with stronger winds, but I was still able to go snorkelling and kayaking without any problems.

I found the Mauritius Meteorological Service forecast much more reliable – there’s a 7 day forecast and an updated bulletin published a few times a day: http://metservice.intnet.mu/probabilistic-forecast.php

My advice would be for you to go and enjoy yourself, and don’t make the mistake I made of constantly checking the weather forecast as it seems no one can get it right.

pbcold

iamlost this is such a joyous post to read, thank you. I had been fretting in precisely the way you have described. Happy New Year.

QwertyKnowsBest

Merry Christmas all, I hope that you are spending it as you would choose.

Can anyone advise, don’t think I have seen this covered before?

I am BA silver and wife bronze. Using a 241 in Wife’s name, as I will be the second passenger will free seat selection at time of booking apply?

Not sure if I should post here or in BA forum? sorry if posted in wrong place.

MisterE

I have recently made such a booking with a new 241 and had no problem getting free seat selection

AJA

@QwertyKnowsBest You’ll be fine and you’ll be able to select seats for free for both of you on your booking. You might not be able to do it during the reservation process but once the booking is complete just log into it with your PNR via your BAEC account and you’ll be able to select seats.

Paul

Indonesia the latest country to ban entirely anyone from the U.K. or who has been in transit through plague Island in last 14 days!

ee

For Golden Circle dining rewards, has anyone ordered vouchers online? If so, how quickly do they expire? I went down with asymptomatic COVID a week ago and unfortunately still testing positive on LFTs!

Also, a stay at Hilton check in 31st Dec/check out 1st Jan – which year does the night credit to?

Thanks!

QwertyKnowsBest

Mister E and AJA. Thank you

TGLoyalty

Indonesia the latest country to ban entirely anyone from the U.K. or who has been in transit through plague Island in last 14 days!

Seems odd when you can potentially bring the gift of Omicron.

Anyway sit back and leave the Far East to it for a while then return when they aren’t so super cautious.

nico27

Hi – anyone found any good alternatives to Hiscox – i have always found them great and the high single item limits work for us – but premiums are getting silly ? any advice appreciated.

JDB

Hi – anyone found any good alternatives to Hiscox – i have always found them great and the high single item limits work for us – but premiums are getting silly ? any advice appreciated.

NFU Mutual may be worth look for high value/non conventional insurance requirements. It will depend on your needs, but we switched from Aon, then Chubb to NFU quite a few years ago and the premiums are still miles less than those were 7+ years ago for what is essentially the same level of cover and no broker has come near since, so no Alan Boswell Avios, but saving £3k+ per annum is quite helpful! I have only claimed once and after some initial confusion it was very much quibble free and quick; friends and family report the same. In our local office at least, you also get to speak to real people (not call centre) who understand insurance, are available and responsive. In case it comes up, the wording of their ‘mutual bonus’ that gives 15% off is quite poor -it doesn’t lock you in for five years, they simply ask for the opportunity to quote at renewal during that period.

JDB

Sorry should also have said, I don’t know what the single item limit is for Hiscox, but for NFU Bespoke, it is £20k per item on unspecified jewellery. Also, they are quite flexible on safes/alarm setting.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Monday 27th December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.