Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Monday 27th May

• Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,303 posts

This is today’s chat thread.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

BJ 659 posts

I wonder if Rishi will promise to scrap APD today.

ChrisP 14 posts

We’ve decided not to make any new travel plans in case we receive our call up papers and have to cancel😜

BenM 44 posts

Hi!
    Can I please ask if the order/rules of this article still apply? I’m coming up to the end of my 2 year hiatus and want to get it right!

https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/01/03/maximise-american-express-signup-bonuses/

Also can the Marriott card fit in to this and how/when?

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

You could apply for the Marriott instead of the Nectar, the thing to remember is that once you have either of those, you can only get SUBs on the BAPP and Platinum MR, not the free versions.

Also Amex has become a lot stricter recently and may decline multiple applications.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,160 posts

Good morning from Legacy Cascais, Curio Collection – where to my amazement I was able to secure 3pm check out. At a Hilton! Will wonders never cease. (Mini review added to the Cascais thread)

Taking the last TAP flight to LHR tonight. Praying for a jetbridge but I am bracing myself for disappointment. The scenes when a TAP bus arrives at the remote stand are like the rush to Titanic’s lifeboats. All decorum and child welfare goes out the window.

BenM 44 posts

Hi @northernlass. Thanks for your reply.

Can I apply for BAPP first then still get SUB on the Platinum? Or does it need to be Plat first?

Do you mean stricter on applications when you have already have active cards, or stricter if you are closing a card then applying for another, or both?

Optimus Prime 68 posts

Order doesn’t matter when applying for BAPP and Plat.

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

Stricter on all applications, see the many Amex threads on here!

John MUnn 3 posts

Heathrow Express DUOSAVER code for £55 return for 2 seems to have stopped working?
    I’m pretty sure this was available as recently as last week but now when I try to use it I get a message “Promotion DUOSAVER has expired.”
    Anyone else seen this? Hope it comes back. Not the end of the world, can always get the Elizabeth Line but staying near Paddington on a 1 night stay 26th June and this would’ve been a nice treat.

I’ll keep checking after the Bank Holiday to see if it returns

memesweeper 1,296 posts

@BenN according to the grumbling here, stricter full stop. Timing to optimise bonuses might need to take second place to timing to get the card you most want long term.

memesweeper 1,296 posts

Good morning from a windswept Gatwick platform 4. I’ve just returned from the Bordeaux Grand Intercontinental. Not quite up there with Estoril, but a lovely hotel in a central location — and the service was impeccable. A free night thanks to Creationgate, plus a night on points, and chipped in the last of my food and beverage vouchers. Multi level upgrade to a full suite, I assume Ambassador status helped (status extended due to email error).

With the UK credit card gone and my business travel down to a handful of nights a year it’s farewell to Intercontinentals from me for a while I suspect.

Bordeaux is the perfect city break location for lovers of wine, cheese and oysters — which just happens to match my culinary preferences precisely 🙂

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

It’s on my list! The pool are looks fabulously decadent.

Speaking of IHG, does anyone know if the suite upgrade award is book by or stay by? Mine expires Feb 4th, so could I call on that date and use it for a stay beginning Feb 18th, or not?

I was planning to use it at the Kimpton Seafire next month but there was only one suite left when I checked just now and that may well get booked in the meantime ☹️.

Just Nick 17 posts

Dear HfP,

I am going to have to ask. I have just renewed silver but the email says it runs out next April. I thought I would be silver for the remainder of the collection year and then for the full year after. This would have seen me have silver until April 26. Can someone say what the correct answer is.

Cheers

Just Nick

Skywalker 755 posts

@Just Nick – when was your original tier point collection year end, and what date did you qualify?

And how many tier points do you currently have?

Just Nick 17 posts

Skywalker,

My year end was 8th April 24 with a card expiry date of 31 May. I have earned all 620 points to get silver since the 8th April. The email says I have qualified for silver on 27 May 24.

Nick

davestat 29 posts

Good morning from Legacy Cascais, Curio Collection – where to my amazement I was able to secure 3pm check out. At a Hilton! Will wonders never cease. (Mini review added to the Cascais thread)

Taking the last TAP flight to LHR tonight. Praying for a jetbridge but I am bracing myself for disappointment. The scenes when a TAP bus arrives at the remote stand are like the rush to Titanic’s lifeboats. All decorum and child welfare goes out the window.

I echo that. Departing Lisbon on TAP (or often BA) via remote stand is dire. The bus is rammed and it seems to take for ever to reach the remote stand. Then, the race is on to reach the aircraft first. Having said this, i guess this is standard practice on most Ryanair flights

Skywalker 755 posts

Skywalker,

My year end was 8th April 24 with a card expiry date of 31 May. I have earned all 620 points to get silver since the 8th April. The email says I have qualified for silver on 27 May 24.

Nick

From BA’s webpage (https://www.britishairways.com/content/executive-club/faqs/tier-point-collection-changes):

Your current Tier Point Collection Year will continue as normal until 8 April 2024.
    The status you achieve during this period will expire on 31 May 2025
    Your next collection period will be 9 April 2024 – 31 March 2025
    Tier Point Adjustment: we’ll add on any Tier Points you earn during 1 April – 8 April 2024 to work out your Tier status
    Any Tier status you earn during the transition period (i.e. your next tier point collection period which starts on 9 April 2024 and is shortened to end 31 March 2025, with the Tier point adjustment applied) will expire on 30 April 2026

John MUnn 3 posts

Answering my own question.
    I tweeted them and they replied to say that this code has been withdrawn

Heathrow Express DUOSAVER code for £55 return for 2 seems to have stopped working?
    I’m pretty sure this was available as recently as last week but now when I try to use it I get a message “Promotion DUOSAVER has expired.”
    Anyone else seen this? Hope it comes back. Not the end of the world, can always get the Elizabeth Line but staying near Paddington on a 1 night stay 26th June and this would’ve been a nice treat.

I’ll keep checking after the Bank Holiday to see if it returns

jj 533 posts

Interesting article in today’s FT featuring a certain Rob Burgess as an industry commentator. Apologies for those who don’t have access, but, if the profile on HfP is as upmarket as Rob likes to make out, I’m sure that most of you do.

The gist of the article is that airlines are having to rethink premium flying as business travel scales back, probably never to return, and premium leisure travel soars. All airlines quoted expect to increase premium capacity and recognise that the quality of experience (lounges, food, seat, etc) mattered much less to their previous corporate customers thank to the current customer base.

If it’s not just journalists making things up, the future should be bright with far fewer good things being enhanced away.

If anyone has a long to a non-paywalled version, it might be worth posting it.

freckles 192 posts

@jj (quote still not working on a Samsung phone)

Link to full article (not paywalled) that Rob tweeted/facebooked earlier

https://www.ft.com/content/fcda8eec-8cf1-4059-a1c7-9c79b519aef3

freckles 192 posts

Currently a happy bunny – I’m in Helsinki in July and had spotted that Bruce Springsteen was playing whilst I’m there, but sold out. My ‘stalking’ tactics on the ticket site paid off today as they’ve put some extra seats on sale. Side on view, but at least at ground level, always a great atmosphere at The Boss gigs. 😁

Ant M 85 posts

Currently a happy bunny – I’m in Helsinki in July and had spotted that Bruce Springsteen was playing whilst I’m there, but sold out. My ‘stalking’ tactics on the ticket site paid off today as they’ve put some extra seats on sale. Side on view, but at least at ground level, always a great atmosphere at The Boss gigs. 😁

Nice- and he always plays a long show too so makes it good value.

My recent US trip coincided with the Rolling Stones tour so I managed to see them in Seattle while I was there it’s nice when things work out like that.

Ladyshopper 124 posts

His shows for the next 10 days are cancelled, hopefully he won’t have any further cancellations for you.

My friend was supposed to see him a few days ago in Marseille for her birthday, but it was cancelled.

freckles 192 posts

@AntM – if he does 3 hours, it’ll work out at £30/hour spent, which sounds like a bargain for Helsinki!. Saw the Stones at Hyde Park years ago – just happened to be staying with a friend down south that weekend, so that was a good coincidence too.

@Ladyshopper
    – yes I see he’s been told to rest by his doctors, hopefully he will be OK by July, but if not and it’s cancelled/postponed I’ll be eligible for a refund, and I won’t have made an expensive trip for nothing as I am going for a holiday anyway. Hope your friend manages to make a rescheduled date.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Monday 27th May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.