Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Monday 30th May

Chat thread – Monday 30th May

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

roger

BA RFS and BWC / Cancellation.

I have a RFS (Avios) booking for four PAX from Germany to UK for Jan-2023 and would like to cancel it.
    The only option online while trying to cancel is to fill up a form for FTV which I did and received an email back after few hours stating my booking is outside the BWC policy and suggesting that I should wait in case BWC is extended again.

If I call up BA Silver line and ask for RFS cancellations would I lose £17.50 PP and get back all Avios?
    Alternately should I just hold out and hope that there is schedule change or cancellation by BA nearer the date and I might get full money element as well as the flight is still quite far out.
    Could I also turn my current booking in reverse direction i.e. from UK to Germany by calling up?
    Appreciate if people can share their latest RFS cancellation experience outside BWC policy.

ChrisC

BWC IMHO won’t be extended.

If you cancel then you’ll get the avios back but lose the cash element.

If BA cancel at some point in the future then you’ll get a full refund of both cash and avios.

Ditto on schedule change but IIRC this needs to be more than 4 hours.

You cant just reverse the direction of the trip. Even if you could it would be repriced for both the avios and cash elements.

Tracey

This is the reason I max the avios and min the £ on RFS bookings that I may need to cancel. 50p loss to get back all my Avios, even if it does cost me more Avios initially.

Just Nick

Hi there,

I am new to the world of Amex platinum. I have just booked a hotel through the FHR site however, it did not allow me to enter my Hilton Honors number. Does anyone know how to do this afterwards to help me get the Gold benefits.

Cheers

Nick

Blair Waldorf Salad

Hi there,

I am new to the world of Amex platinum. I have just booked a hotel through the FHR site however, it did not allow me to enter my Hilton Honors number. Does anyone know how to do this afterwards to help me get the Gold benefits.

Cheers

Nick

Call/email the hotel and give them the reservation number to link to your HH number

can

Anyone having trouble with Curve [fronted]?

GaryE

Hi – Recently reached enough Tier points to be a BA Silver member. One of the benefits is that we should be able to book seats for free. We have a holiday already booked (prior to becoming sliver members), and I have now tried to select our seats (long haul) but it is still asking me to pay for the seats as the ‘system’ thinks we are still bronze members (message says can book for free 7 days before departure).

Is there a delay in the system updating existing bookings with your status or is this something I would need to do either via chat or calling Exec club?

tazzy

I’m going to send BA a Letter before action re our delayed travel in early March. Can someone advise who I should send this to?

AJA

I’m going to send BA a Letter before action re our delayed travel in early March. Can someone advise who I should send this to?

Send it to:

Legal Department
    British Airways Plc.
    Waterside
    PO Box 365
    Harmondsworth
    UB7 0GB

meta

Hi there,

Cheers

Nick

Call/email the hotel and give them the reservation number to link to your HH number

The FHR confirmation email should also have the Hilton confirmation number, log in via app or website and search for missing reservation then add it to your account.

AL

Heathrow website variously says that pod parking is and isn’t back. This article – https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/04/12/heathrow-terminal-5-pod-parking-open/ – says it is. Any concrete evidence that it is? I don’t want to pay an uplift in parking for a bus service.

ChrisC

Hi – Recently reached enough Tier points to be a BA Silver member. One of the benefits is that we should be able to book seats for free. We have a holiday already booked (prior to becoming sliver members), and I have now tried to select our seats (long haul) but it is still asking me to pay for the seats as the ‘system’ thinks we are still bronze members (message says can book for free 7 days before departure).

Is there a delay in the system updating existing bookings with your status or is this something I would need to do either via chat or calling Exec club?

Yes there is a delay.

It usually takes a couple of days for status to change once the TPs have posted.

You might also need to force a refresh in the app/ website and sometimes also a log off and on again.

Once it updates you cs. The. Select seats in MMB.

GaryE

Yes there is a delay.

It usually takes a couple of days for status to change once the TPs have posted.

You might also need to force a refresh in the app/ website and sometimes also a log off and on again.

Once it updates you cs. The. Select seats in MMB.

Thank you

highnal

After reading about the nightmare queues for bag drop and security at Gatwick for the start of half term, I was wondering what are passengers’ rights if they miss their flight because they were stuck in queues at the airport?

Thegasman

After reading about the nightmare queues for bag drop and security at Gatwick for the start of half term, I was wondering what are passengers’ rights if they miss their flight because they were stuck in queues at the airport?

Absolutely none against the airline. You’d have to complain to airport & any legal action would be testing new ground & likely to fail.

Andrew.

Absolutely none against the airline. You’d have to complain to airport & any legal action would be testing new ground & likely to fail.

Why “Absolutely none”?

The law of agency isn’t new ground.

JDB

Why “Absolutely none”?

The law of agency isn’t new ground.

The issue in respect of security delays (as opposed to bag drop/check in delays) is that the passenger has no contractual relationship with the airport. You would therefore need to demonstrate that, this notwithstanding, the airport owed you a duty of care owing perhaps to a proximate relationship, reasonableness, foreseeability etc. That is new ground – or are you aware of any successful cases? You might have a better prospect of claiming on insurance.

Aardvark

Quick Question – Going BA Club World to Capetown on an evening flight (6pm) this winter, So I might as well take advantage of the Club World Lounge (Heathrow Terminal 5)! How early are you allowed in to the Club World Lounge? – 3 hours or say 4 hours before your flight?

George K

Quick Question – Going BA Club World to Capetown on an evening flight (6pm) this winter, So I might as well take advantage of the Club World Lounge (Heathrow Terminal 5)! How early are you allowed in to the Club World Lounge? – 3 hours or say 4 hours before your flight?

You can go in as early as you’d like.

meta

@highnal @thegasman @JDB

Posting this again as reply is missing.

At the moment there is a case at ECJ on this. It has not yet been ruled on.

https://curia.europa.eu/juris/showPdf.jsf?text=delay%2Bcheck%2Bin&docid=253361&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=req&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=2441277

It could also be covered by Montreal Convention (Article 19 and 30) which does mention the carrier and its servants or agents. But then again uncharted waters.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 6 months ago by .
    JDB

@meta thank you for posting the case – as you say, the case doesn’t appear to have been determined yet (and anyway post dates Brexit, so its applicability in the UK, if positive, is moot), but it does note at paragraph 15, that the compensation element for alternative transport would be for the national court to decide, ie not under 261.

If the issue relates to security queues, that is outside the airline’s control, you also have no 261 claim, thus have to fall back on issuing some novel duty of care claim against the airport which wouldn’t be easy or potentially claiming on your insurance. The airport is unfortunately neither the servant nor agent of the carrier!

PS. The case I’m particularly interested in finding is something you have previously mentioned, that although if a flight is cancelled more than 14 days before one is not entitled to cancellation compensation, that one may still be entitled to delay compensation if say you are rebooked a day later.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 6 months ago by .
    meta

I think you misinterpreted, I believe I said that in case you’re rebooked and then that flight is delayed then you’re entitled to delay compensation.

Case A and Others v Finnair Oy (Case C-832/18). It’s applicable in the UK as it was during transition period.

P.S. ECJ rulings in regards to EC261 still apply to UK airlines that are departing from the EU and you can also bring claim in the UK court as pre-Brexit rulings. In those instances UK courts are bound to consider new ECJ rulings, so still very much relevant.

JDB

I think you misinterpreted, I believe I said that in case you’re rebooked and then that flight is delayed then you’re entitled to delay compensation.

Case A and Others v Finnair Oy (Case C-832/18). It’s applicable in the UK as it was during transition period.

P.S. ECJ rulings in regards to EC261 still apply to UK airlines that are departing from the EU and you can also bring claim in the UK court as pre-Brexit rulings. In those instances UK courts are bound to consider new ECJ rulings, so still very much relevant.

I’m not clever enough to paste the link, but it was your post #345093 and that thread that I saved in the hope it would apply to a recent trip of mine. I have reread it and it still seems to say what I wrote, but it did seem too good to be true.

meta

I’m not clever either to find it again. 🙂

Technically, it could fall within scope of Article 7 but it would have to satisfy the following conditions: no other flights with the same flight number departed the same day and no other flight with the same number departed the following day. And possibly the airline would need to class it as a delay rather than schedule change/cancellation.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Monday 30th May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.