Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Monday 3rd January

Chat thread – Monday 3rd January

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

davefl

Times reports rumour this morning that pre-departure tests to fly to the UK may be dropped this week.

ChrisC

Times reports rumour this morning that pre-departure tests to fly to the UK may be dropped this week.

Well that would be good.

And what would also be good is that Day 0/1/2 Tests could revert to being antigen rather than PCR (if only because I’ve got one to use!)

t0m

I am looking to book a CE flight to Scandinavia for next Xmas and just realised BA’s book with confidence guarantee runs out in August.. I’ve tried to go on this trip for the last 2 years but keep cancelling owing to covid. I’m not that hopeful that 2022 will be any better! What are the chances that BA roll forward their guarantee to offer an eVoucher refunds? I’m loathed to make a non-flexible booking at this time, but equally I have eVouchers to use so didn’t really want to make an Avios booking either.. Thoughts?

BC8

Anybody have any luck booking a europcar £1 one way car hire recently? Trying to make a booking – says there is availability but website keeps throwing up an error when I try to click through. Should I try a different browser etc.? Thanks for any help

Rhys
    HfP Staff

Well that would be good.

And what would also be good is that Day 0/1/2 Tests could revert to being antigen rather than PCR (if only because I’ve got one to use!)

Doesn’t sound like that is on the cards yet: “The requirement that people take a PCR test within two days of arriving in England is set to remain.”

ChrisC

I am looking to book a CE flight to Scandinavia for next Xmas and just realised BA’s book with confidence guarantee runs out in August.. I’ve tried to go on this trip for the last 2 years but keep cancelling owing to covid. I’m not that hopeful that 2022 will be any better! What are the chances that BA roll forward their guarantee to offer an eVoucher refunds? I’m loathed to make a non-flexible booking at this time, but equally I have eVouchers to use so didn’t really want to make an Avios booking either.. Thoughts?

I really don’t think BA will be extending BWC over the current time period.

Just before Christmas they changed it for new BA Hols bookings from being able to request a voucher from 21 days before departure to 28 days as well as bringing forward the balance due date to a minimum of 4 weeks against the 3 weeks under the previous BWC

And they have been expiring 2-4-1 vouchers for the last few months as well so it looks like concerted action from them to rein things in.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    Donna

Any ideas for a worthwhile virgin experience day in Yorkshire? I have the £150 voucher from account switching but not sure where to use it.

jamesv92

Well that would be good.

Doesn’t sound like that is on the cards yet: “The requirement that people take a PCR test within two days of arriving in England is set to remain.”

The isolation should go, it’s ridiculous a confirmed covid contact doesn’t have to isolate but someone who has just been travelling does until they have a negative result.

Carlos

How quickly does the Virgin VACC+ £10k companion ticket show in the app/online?
    Is it after the transaction or the issued statement?

ChasP

How quickly does the Virgin VACC+ £10k companion ticket show in the app/online?
    Is it after the transaction or the issued statement?

shows PDQ as a line in transactions

nn

I’ve got about 8 Stripe refunds showing on an Amex and I’ve got no idea what they’re for.

Is there any way to check what the Transaction ID relates to?

MCO

Spent some money at a merchant on the 26th and used the spend £600 get £150 back offer on my Amex. They still haven’t billed my card and the offer has now expired on the 1st.
    Amex should really have some sort of back up plans for these sort of situations which happen quite often. Now according to the t&c’s I don’t qualify for the promotion even though I used it well within the time frame.

BuildBackBetter

Spent some money at a merchant on the 26th and used the spend £600 get £150 back offer on my Amex. They still haven’t billed my card and the offer has now expired on the 1st.
    Amex should really have some sort of back up plans for these sort of situations which happen quite often. Now according to the t&c’s I don’t qualify for the promotion even though I used it well within the time frame.

Isn’t that a merchant issue? How would Amex know which merchant delays processing? Why would you leave it so late?

Matty

Isn’t that a merchant issue? How would Amex know which merchant delays processing? Why would you leave it so late?

See when it hits your account and check the date on the account. It will probably show as before month end but you’ll still, probably, have to call Amex. Amex will tell you to wait 90 days then you’ll have to call again etc.

zanderblue

I’d say this is so far ahead that you’re in crystal ball territory. It’s difficult to try and predict what things may look like much more than a few weeks ahead, never mind 11 months.
    What about booking with a car or hotel to make it a BA holiday booking, at least then you are only exposed to taking a voucher for deposit?

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Monday 3rd January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.