Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Monday 4th March

• Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,229 posts

This is today’s chat thread.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

yorkshireRich 194 posts

Morning all from Auckland. The whole city is like a construction site. Impressed with the IC. Very smart.

Anyway, flying to KL at 2am later on Malaysia airlines. We are flying economy (silver status). Any lounge recommendations? I may try get a shower
    We do have priority pass also.

BBbetter 615 posts

Telegraph: Jeremy Hunt is considering an increase in business class air fares as part of a series of measures targeting the wealthy to fund a tax cut in this week’s Budget.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,103 posts

Telegraph: Jeremy Hunt is considering an increase in business class air fares as part of a series of measures targeting the wealthy to fund a tax cut in this week’s Budget.

The dark lord giveth and the dark lord taketh away

executiveclubber 251 posts

Just as long as they don’t follow through with taxing Avios…

Just as long as they don’t follow through with taxing Avios…

And we all update our addresses to non-UK ones….

AL 572 posts

Your northern correspondent writes, “[that] it was pleasing to see progress at MAN, with self-service check-in machines moving the airport toward 2007 with aplomb. The rest of the airport is, as ever, unchanged and wholly less than satisfying to fly through.”

runnerbean 48 posts

What’s with the fad for glass walled toilets in hotel rooms?? Our first place in Bangkok (U Sathorn, very lovely thank you) and the Majestic by the old station in KL (the evening buffet in Constanta is exceptional) both have this.

I love my husband dearly, and vv, but both of us would prefer something more than a glass partition and piece of voile between the bed and the bog.

NorthernLass 7,466 posts

@runnerbean, same at the RC Doha! No privacy and as I noted in my review it was reminiscent of Bond villain Silva in his glass cell in Skyfall.

Also glass bathroom doors – even if frosted they illuminate the bedroom if you need the loo in during the night. A C Palacio in Malaga was the most recent offender.

We stayed in the Sofitel in Munich one year and the entire bathroom wall was glass, fortunately there was a blind you could lower but just no!

@AL
    – are the machines still just in T1 though? I vaguely recall using them to check in for Ryanair just after the pandemic but I haven’t seen them in T3.

Amy C 372 posts

What’s with the fad for glass walled toilets in hotel rooms?? Our first place in Bangkok (U Sathorn, very lovely thank you) and the Majestic by the old station in KL (the evening buffet in Constanta is exceptional) both have this.

I love my husband dearly, and vv, but both of us would prefer something more than a glass partition and piece of voile between the bed and the bog.

Consider yourself blessed. In SA a week or so ago we didn’t even get a dividing wall in one place and an open ceiling between bathroom & bedroom in another. In Botswana/Namibia 2 years ago there were frequently a lack of doors between bedroom and bathroom (just designed that way, not actually missing).

I was thankful for the window between bathroom and bedroom at the Waldorf Palm last night. The electricity cut out and the only light that stayed on was a single mirror light in the bathroom. Not my best stay at this hotel overall.

AL 572 posts

@AL
    – are the machines still just in T1 though? I vaguely recall using them to check in for Ryanair just after the pandemic but I haven’t seen them in T3.

A fact I omitted; this was in T3 at the BA desks. But they’re down the side wall accessible from the Club queue, so either they need to do some barrier rearranging or – knowing BA – just leave it like that so Club becomes a scrum.

Richie 970 posts

It’s about APD, but’s that a boring headline.

runnerbean 48 posts

Consider yourself blessed. In SA a week or so ago we didn’t even get a dividing wall in one place and an open ceiling between bathroom & bedroom in another. In Botswana/Namibia 2 years ago there were frequently a lack of doors between bedroom and bathroom (just designed that way, not actually missing).

Euw…. and without elaborating further I find the more exotic the destination the more one requires greater privacy in the bathroom department.

Amy C 372 posts

Euw…. and without elaborating further I find the more exotic the destination the more one requires greater privacy in the bathroom department.

Yep, and to add to this both of us had chronic food poisoning (so bad I went to hospital for a night!). I can confirm any last remaining magic and mystique in our relationship died in South Africa last month 🙂

KevinC 77 posts

Just back from a week at the Hilton Amingiri in the Maldives.

Beautiful beach villas with large swimming pools that wrap around two sides of the room. HUGE indoor/outdoor bathrooms. Fantastic breakfast, excellent staff. Free drinks for status members are between 3 and 4pm. A bit early for me but they serve tea/coffee and mocktails as well as cocktails, wine, beer and spirits.

The island is just a twenty minute boat ride from Male. Don’t go there thinking you will be in the middle of nowhere. You can see other islands, resorts and the capital from different places. It is a man-made island and isn’t as pretty as the Conrad but they’ve done a good job and there’s lots of vegetation and some impressive beaches. We were in a little row of villas which had their own beach which was very private. Snorkelling is okay rather than great but we still saw lots of fish. There are plenty of reef sharks to be spotted and we saw young sting rays at breakfast. Lots of herons and lizards.

A beach villa is 110,000 points per night. It’s the nicest villa I’ve ever stayed in on points.

AJA 1,068 posts

@runnerbean and @Amy C it’s when you or your significant other are ill that you truly get loved and cared for.

Sharing intimate ablutions with them is just one step on from the first time you fart in front of them.

Much less pleasant for me is when a stranger farts on board an aeroplane.

flymeanywhere 7 posts

Bag drop blues…came back through T5 on Saturday and was amazed how difficult BA have made the bag drop.. plenty of agents sitting behind desks or walking around but everyone else struggling to understand the technology…we helped two foreign nationals who didn’t know where to stick their sticky things and then came our turn and we timed out…bag stuck half way down a chute…agent “I’ll do it manually..”…rant over

Andrew. 482 posts

In one of the branch offices I worked in in the early 1990s in Scotland, the loo was a cubicle in the corner of the staffroom. The classic cubicle with a foot gap at the bottom so if you were sitting eating your lunch you could see the trousers/knickers at the ankles. You don’t have to go anywhere exotic to find the bizarre.

The Streets 42 posts

Just back from a week at the Hilton Amingiri in the Maldives.

Beautiful beach villas with large swimming pools that wrap around two sides of the room. HUGE indoor/outdoor bathrooms. Fantastic breakfast, excellent staff. Free drinks for status members are between 3 and 4pm. A bit early for me but they serve tea/coffee and mocktails as well as cocktails, wine, beer and spirits.

The island is just a twenty minute boat ride from Male. Don’t go there thinking you will be in the middle of nowhere. You can see other islands, resorts and the capital from different places. It is a man-made island and isn’t as pretty as the Conrad but they’ve done a good job and there’s lots of vegetation and some impressive beaches. We were in a little row of villas which had their own beach which was very private. Snorkelling is okay rather than great but we still saw lots of fish. There are plenty of reef sharks to be spotted and we saw young sting rays at breakfast. Lots of herons and lizards.

A beach villa is 110,000 points per night. It’s the nicest villa I’ve ever stayed in on points.

Just the kind of review I want to read.. thank you! Heading there in a few weeks for 5 nights

JaneDoe 9 posts

is there a way of getting a cheaper Stansted Express ticket than their own website? fro a return trip in April it is coming up at £29.

In one of the branch offices I worked in in the early 1990s in Scotland, the loo was a cubicle in the corner of the staffroom. The classic cubicle with a foot gap at the bottom so if you were sitting eating your lunch you could see the trousers/knickers at the ankles. You don’t have to go anywhere exotic to find the bizarre.[/quote]

Absolute nightmare. You couldn’t dream up a worse scenario. This has really made me laugh. God help you facing that trauma.

Guernsey Globetrotter 583 posts

In one of the branch offices I worked in in the early 1990s in Scotland, the loo was a cubicle in the corner of the staffroom. The classic cubicle with a foot gap at the bottom so if you were sitting eating your lunch you could see the trousers/knickers at the ankles. You don’t have to go anywhere exotic to find the bizarre.

That must have cut down on the duration that people spent on their comfort breaks – the boss must have had a keen focus on ‘time and motion(s)’ !

KevinC 77 posts

[/quote]Just the kind of review I want to read.. thank you! Heading there in a few weeks for 5 nights[/quote]

Hope you have a great time. We liked Orgin the best of the restaurants. Both the bars, Aura and Eden are very good. The only thing we wouldn’t do again is the beach barbecue which, with drinks, came to 740 US Dollars for the four of us.

Happy to answer any questions though we didn’t do excursions or use the spa.

Rma 28 posts

Replying to Amy C, the Sunday Times did a piece yesterday about the things people hate most about hotels, and bathroom privacy featured highly on the list of complaints. I would add to this the practice of placing unwashed, well used cushions on pillows, where you will put your face. Can any hotel enlighten me as to why they persist with this unhygienic practice?

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Monday 4th March’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.