Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Saturday 14th May

Chat thread – Saturday 14th May

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

strickers

My daughter is about to book a Hen Weekend in the UK for her friend, 28 travellers total, has anyone any experience of group travel insurance for that number of people? The cottage she is booking doesn’t take credit cards, bank transfer only!! I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole, unfortunately she won’t listen to me!!

NorthernLass

StaySure cover UK holidays but I don’t know about groups. Also they may well not cover things going wrong with payment. I wouldn’t be doing a bank transfer either, there must be other options? But UK breaks are astronomical just now, I would think it would be cheaper to book a weekend abroad!

strickers

StaySure cover UK holidays but I don’t know about groups. Also they may well not cover things going wrong with payment. I wouldn’t be doing a bank transfer either, there must be other options? But UK breaks are astronomical just now, I would think it would be cheaper to book a weekend abroad!

Bank transfer only! Very odd that a large company won’t take other forms of payment?

PMG

Can vouch for that last part…
    I am going on two 3 day holidays this month both with groups of about 10. One to the countryside ~1 hour outside Bath, the other to Sofia. You can guess which one was half the price of the other (including flights)…

Lumma

Flying back to London from Athens tonight. Are either of the priority pass lounges worth it if you have to pay for entry?

Lumma

I am going on two 3 day holidays this month both with groups of about 10. One to the countryside ~1 hour outside Bath, the other to Sofia. You can guess which one was half the price of the other (including flights)…

I think most people would expect Bulgaria to be cheaper than the UK to be fair. I’m currently in Athens and I’m surprised how expensive it is. I reckon I could’ve went to say, Edinburgh and not spent as much

PMG

I think most people would expect Bulgaria to be cheaper than the UK to be fair. I’m currently in Athens and I’m surprised how expensive it is. I reckon I could’ve went to say, Edinburgh and not spent as much

I guess that’s fair… 😊
    Only looking at the costs of getting there and accommodation costs and was just surprised that it was that much cheaper

Ade

Bank transfer only! Very odd that a large company won’t take other forms of payment?

What company is it? Your daughter will have no protection whatsoever if she pays by bank transfer even if she gets insurance. It’s such a common scam. If the company does not accept credit cards then I wouldnot touch them with a barge pole.

FazzyBear

Shop small returning in June.

YC

I have a 5 night Marriott redemption booked (at old rates). If I wanted to reduce it down to 3 nights (same period), is there a way of keeping it at the old rates? Trying to avoid cancelling and rebooking as rates are significantly more now.

Thegasman

I have a 5 night Marriott redemption booked (at old rates). If I wanted to reduce it down to 3 nights (same period), is there a way of keeping it at the old rates? Trying to avoid cancelling and rebooking as rates are significantly more now.

No is the short answer unless you booked as individual nights (which some advocate for this very reason).

How significant is the difference & what nights would you like to cancel? You may be able to get the hotel to check you in early though I doubt the difference will be enough to justify that.

craiguk58

I’ve just finished on the phone with a delightful person from BA saying I’m taking part in “tax avoidance” due to starting my First class trip to Mexico in Dublin and only paying £330 in taxes instead of over £900 starting from Manchester. I couldn’t believe it!

kevind

For the 2nd time in 3 weekends, I am trying to actually give BA money and they won’t take it off me! Simply logging on to book seats for a trip and tried 3 times to pay with BA Amex and no joy. Then tried clicking on pay with Paypal. Still no joy.

As I’ve started to travel much more post pandemic, I now understand the frustration and criticism I read from you guys on this site and others over the past few years re. British Airways.

Rant over.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 5 hours ago by kevind. Reason: forgot a sentence
    dougzz99

I’ve just finished on the phone with a delightful person from BA saying I’m taking part in “tax avoidance” due to starting my First class trip to Mexico in Dublin and only paying £330 in taxes instead of over £900 starting from Manchester. I couldn’t believe it!

How did this become a discussion, was it just an accusation out of the blue. The only TAX being legitimately avoided is APD.

ChrisC

I’d have started by saying BA surcharges aren’t taxes and it’s perfectly legal to start a trip from wherever I want!

craiguk58

How did this become a discussion, was it just an accusation out of the blue. The only TAX being legitimately avoided is APD.

I called up to book earlier today and the person that took the booking was very friendly and really interested in what the fees would be but his system said he needed to pass it to the ticketing team to calculate. I then received an email later asking me to call up regarding the booking which I did. The second person I spoke to was questioning why I was starting from Dublin and then said I’d need to say I was either resident or working in Ireland if I was questioned by anyone. It was a very strange call as I asked if it was against the T&C’s and said surely it’s upto BA how much they charge in fees and taxes. He then said I wasn’t doing anything wrong but it wasn’t in the spirit of how avios bookings should work and it’s classed as tax avoidance. I had to bite my tongue as he took the payment. Very bizarre.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 4 hours ago by craiguk58.
    Lady London

Tax avoidance isn’t illegal. Tax evasion is.

If BA wants to preach to anyone about adhering to the spirit of paying BA’s monster extra co-pays on avios tickets -that they have the cheek to call taxes – then BA should adhere to the spirit themselves. Start providing full EU/UK261 compensation rights and duty of care voluntarily when they cancel flights instead of denying those statutory rights to passengers who correctly request them.

Oh, and answer the phone.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 4 hours ago by Lady London.
    craiguk58

Tax avoidance isn’t illegal. Tax evasion is.

If BA wants to preach to anyone about adhering to the spirit of paying their monster extra co-pays on avios tickets, then BA should adhere to the spirit themselves and start providing full EU/UK261 compensation rights and duty of care voluntarily when they cancel flights instead of denying those statutory rights to passengers who correctly request them.

Oh, and answer the phone.

I totally agree although I have a admit I was through to an agent on the silver line within seconds on both occasions – much to my surprise

• This reply was modified 3 days, 4 hours ago by craiguk58.
    JDB

I called up to book earlier today and the person that took the booking was very friendly and really interested in what the fees would be but his system said he needed to pass it to the ticketing team to calculate. I then received an email later asking me to call up regarding the booking which I did. The second person I spoke to was questioning why I was starting from Dublin and then said I’d need to say I was either resident or working in Ireland if I was questioned by anyone. It was a very strange call as I asked if it was against the T&C’s and said surely it’s upto BA how much they charge in fees and taxes. He then said I wasn’t doing anything wrong but it wasn’t in the spirit of how avios bookings should work and it’s classed as tax avoidance. I had to bite my tongue as he took the payment. Very bizarre.

Doesn’t sound too promising; unfortunately it’s a loophole (except for the APD) they can close without notice, so the more people that do it and talk about, the sooner that will happen. It isn’t totally clear why, from Dublin, the carrier imposed charges for this route are c. £100 ew vs £350 ew if you book from London. The answer may lie within the base cash fares which are significantly higher from Dublin with correspondingly lower surcharge, something easily adjusted.

davedent

I had a similar discussion once – I just explained DUB is more convenient as BA have no connecting flights with LBA.

meta

@JDB They would have to close it for every single ex-UK route and given that they introduced 241 vouchers that can be used starting outside UK, I doubt it. You can start just about anywhere in the world (apart from US) to reduce the carrier surcharges. Agent should have known better not to make things up, especially the YouFirst one.

I would tell the agent to mind their own business. Or perhaps agent was just joking and given that OP didn’t get the joke he continued to tease?

• This reply was modified 3 days, 3 hours ago by meta.
    George K

Flying back to London from Athens tonight. Are either of the priority pass lounges worth it if you have to pay for entry?

Goldair lounge. Avoid Skyserv

NorthernLass

@craiguk58, why didn’t you just book it online?!

craiguk58

Thanks for all the comments but he certainly wasn’t joking as he reiterated the point about saying I was “working” in Dublin before he was happy to hang up. Totally different vibe than the person I spoke to initially.
    In answer to NorthernLass – I couldn’t book it online as I started from DUB and returned to MAN.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Saturday 14th May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.