Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Saturday 14th May

Chat thread – Saturday 14th May

Topic closed
  • Michael C

@craiguk58, why didn’t you just book it online?!

…or tell them you’re picking up your secret Irish lover in DUB?!

JDB

@JDB They would have to close it for every single ex-UK route and given that they introduced 241 vouchers that can be used starting outside UK, I doubt it. You can start just about anywhere in the world (apart from US) to reduce the carrier surcharges. Agent should have known better not to make things up, especially the YouFirst one.

I would tell the agent to mind their own business. Or perhaps agent was just joking and given that OP didn’t get the joke he continued to tease?

@meta
    I have been close to this issue since 1983 when we received an unannounced visit from a BA revenue protection manager concerned about cross border tickets as they were then called (and easier to use as you didn’t need to fly the first sector) and spent a year with them discussing the matter. There has always been this disparity between fares ex-Europe vs London and BA is both acutely aware of it and does lots of things in the background about it and one particular concern is UK based customers using them too much so they damage fortress LHR revenue. Whatever you think of BA, they employ very smart people in their revenue and regulation teams. I would note also that the comments originally reported here quite clearly do not originate from the coalface. The recent increase in surcharges that are particularly visible for Avios tickets are perhaps less obvious in cash fares and BA has scope to adjust the base fare vs surcharge element (although I understand there are some technical issues in certain markets) to render these trips less attractive and they mind much more about these via London trips than say you just flying with AF from Paris. The surcharges on the trip DUB-LHR-MEX return amount to €225 vs £700 just LHR-MEX which obviously makes it too attractive/unsustainable, but they will only tolerate a certain level of arbitrage by UK based passengers before they render it less attractive.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 23 hours ago by JDB.
    Spaghetti Town

I’m seeing a lot of conflicting information about covid restrictions driving/bus/train across the border from Portugal to Spain, does anyone know what’s required?

meta

@JDB you also don’t need to use the first sector now if you start in Italy provided you notify the airline at the time of booking and they are also not allowed to charge you more. And I’ve been doing this for nearly 15 years with BA and no issue whatsoever including booking over the phone, including just two weeks. Never had an agent questioning this. People book one-way tickets not starting in the UK all the time then add another starting from UK later.

You also haven’t addressed the fact that the terms of new 241 vouchers state you can start outside the UK. Why is that?

meta

Thanks for all the comments but he certainly wasn’t joking as he reiterated the point about saying I was “working” in Dublin before he was happy to hang up. Totally different vibe than the person I spoke to initially.
    In answer to NorthernLass – I couldn’t book it online as I started from DUB and returned to MAN.

Aha, here we have a clue. It’s to do with IATA rules on distancing. I think, the distance between DUB-MAN is higher than LHR-MAN. The distance of the ground sector has to be shorter of the either sector in order to conform to IATA rules. The agent just didn’t know how to convey it to you, but they allowed you this as a one-off.

NorthernLass

@craiguk58 – you could just have booked the 2 sectors separately. It’s only on US routes that the surcharges are significantly higher for doing this.

Thegasman

In answer to NorthernLass – I couldn’t book it online as I started from DUB and returned to MAN.

Aha, here we have a clue. It’s to do with IATA rules on distancing. I think, the distance between DUB-MAN is higher than LHR-MAN. The distance of the ground sector has to be shorter of the either sector in order to conform to IATA rules. The agent just didn’t know how to convey it to you, but they allowed you this as a one-off.

I’m pretty sure the ground segment rules only apply to the distance between outbound destination & inbound origin eg. LHR-MEX-ground-LAX-LHR would be ok whereas LHR-PER-ground-BKG-LHR wouldn’t be. I don’t think short haul connections factor into calculations either or it would be very difficult to make a lot of legitimate open jaws work.

craiguk58

@craiguk58 – you could just have booked the 2 sectors separately. It’s only on US routes that the surcharges are significantly higher for doing this.

I looked at doing this but the taxes/fees worked out at £420pp and booking as a return was £335

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Saturday 14th May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.