Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Saturday 15th January

Chat thread – Saturday 15th January

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

ToffeeTom

Good morning all.

Flying back from Abu Dhabi to LHR today after ten days in Dubai. For anyone else who booked the Etihad LHR – Dubai sale fares involving a bus from Abu Dhabi, I can definitively say that you do not need to catch the bus leg of the journey. We skipped it on the way here after confirming we could do so at check-in – the woman checking in seemed surprised that we were even contemplating the bus! I’m glad we did as we were in our hotel in Dubai before our scheduled bus would have even left Abu Dhabi.

Colin MacKinnon

Decided to come back a few days early from the US. Was booked back from LAX in business (no First available when booking late 2021) on the return part of a 241.

Turns out you can change the return of a 241 easily nowadays – if you can get through to BA on the phone! Fortunately, after four/five attempts on the proper number, I called YouFirst and talked about changing to come back from Denver and upgrading to First (which, I knew, isn’t offered on this route any more). I thought of this after an HfP reader mentioned this – only a 20-30 min wait for YouFirst.

YouFirst agent said no problem to change, but his sytem said the fees were around £450 higher than from LAX. I said, that’s probablt showing because fees from the US on redemtions are higher, but this is a return from a UK origin. He sent it off to the fares team.

Today, got the email saying to call BA. Phoned YouFirst and …. no new taxes, fees or even the £35 per person change fee!

Now waiting for the ticket number to appear on the app before check-in on Monday.

Two points: there seems a lot of avios availability – inlding in F from LAX – available this month. And being able to change the return of a 241 after the outbound has been flown free of charge is a big plus. Makes me think earning another 241 is a good idea!

Ali M

Good morning all.

Flying back from Abu Dhabi to LHR today after ten days in Dubai. For anyone else who booked the Etihad LHR – Dubai sale fares involving a bus from Abu Dhabi, I can definitively say that you do not need to catch the bus leg of the journey. We skipped it on the way here after confirming we could do so at check-in – the woman checking in seemed surprised that we were even contemplating the bus! I’m glad we did as we were in our hotel in Dubai before our scheduled bus would have even left Abu Dhabi.

yes we did that back in Sept but I felt sheepish sharing it as didnt want anyone else to miss out their flight because of a one off that I experienced, hehe

TJ

Is the Le Meridian Maldives the best value redemption in the Maldives. Currently you can still get 5 nights in a beach villa during November for 140k points (definitely won’t be the case when dynamic pricing kicks in). Has anyone had the pleasure of staying there?

Guernsey Globetrotter

Is the Le Meridian Maldives the best value redemption in the Maldives. Currently you can still get 5 nights in a beach villa during November for 140k points (definitely won’t be the case when dynamic pricing kicks in). Has anyone had the pleasure of staying there?

Haven’t been myself but try FlyerTalk too – they have 905 posts in their thread!
    https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1997085-le-meridien-maldives-resort-thilamaafushi-maldives-master-thread-61.html

jamesv92

Good morning all.

Something would like to confirm. I notice Etihad treat this as Dubai being like an airport you have a transfer to but I’m assuming you’re subject to Abu Dhabi entry requirements?

NunoBettencourtsPinky

20% cashback at Ann Summers on my BA Amex today. Hooray!

Lady London

20% cashback at Ann Summers on my BA Amex today. Hooray!

I got 30%

NunoBettencourtsPinky

Outrageous!

Go197

ignore

• This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    yorkshireRich

Posted in the forum about going to Berlin on a family outing at the end of March. Thinking about arriving back from Berlin, staying at Sofitel T5 then just me and my wife flying out to Athens for another 3 or 4 day break after.

I’m hoping we will be allowed to do that by then but will need to look at all the testing requirements etc.

mummy55

Hi all, I don’t know if this has been mentioned before if it has I apologise.
    I have had to book flights on Jet2 traveling from Mallorca to Newcastle (the only ones at good flight time since Easyjet closed base). Booking one way the flights were priced in euros. When I clicked the change currency button to pounds sterling the price didn’t seem right.My total was €523.65, it changed to £502.23. Having been caught by this last week when I paid on Amex this time I left it in euros and paid by Halifax clarity, total payment charged was £437.86 Over £64 less than Jet2 wanted to charge. How do Jet2 get away with this total rip-off.

Erico1875

Same way they can charge nearly double what Ryanair charge to go to same place.
    Because they want to, and seem to be be able to fill their planes anyway

ToffeeTom

Good morning all.

Something would like to confirm. I notice Etihad treat this as Dubai being like an airport you have a transfer to but I’m assuming you’re subject to Abu Dhabi entry requirements?

Yes, subject to Abu Dhabi entry requirements. PCR on arrival and PCR to come back into Abu Dhabi from Dubai, which is needed in any case to board an Etihad flight.

PCR on arrival was very straightforward and quick with a priority area for business passengers. We had the result within three and a half hours.

ryaneberry

Hi all, I don’t know if this has been mentioned before if it has I apologise.
    I have had to book flights on Jet2 traveling from Mallorca to Newcastle (the only ones at good flight time since Easyjet closed base). Booking one way the flights were priced in euros. When I clicked the change currency button to pounds sterling the price didn’t seem right.My total was €523.65, it changed to £502.23. Having been caught by this last week when I paid on Amex this time I left it in euros and paid by Halifax clarity, total payment charged was £437.86 Over £64 less than Jet2 wanted to charge. How do Jet2 get away with this total rip-off.

Same with everywhere, PayPal love doing it! It’s simply a markup of around 5% for convenience / lazy people. Would love to know how many don’t even think about it!

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Saturday 15th January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.