Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Saturday 25th May

• NorthernLass 8,262 posts

Thanks, @JDB, I’m aware. The May 8th holiday is specifically for VE Day, though, so the 80th anniversary may attract extra commemoration.

This is why I am wondering if the early May holiday will be moved to the same date, as happened in 2020.

JDB 4,643 posts

@BWS – we do have fewer bank holidays than some countries, but some don’t carry over the holiday if it falls on a weekend as we do, so some that always fall on the same date get lost. With the exception of the moveable religious holidays ours are also on Mondays which suits some, although days in Europe like Ascension Day which always falls on a Thursday are also a bit of an extra bonus long weekend.

JDB 4,643 posts

Thanks, @JDB, I’m aware. The May 8th holiday is specifically for VE Day, though, so the 80th anniversary may attract extra commemoration.

This is why I am wondering if the early May holiday will be moved to the same date, as happened in 2020.

VE Day / 8th May isn’t a big deal in Paris, even on tombola years. The President and others will lay a wreath at the Arc de Triomphe and at Général de Gaulle’s statue on Place Clémenceau but otherwise it’s fairly low key. It was bigger this year because the Olympic flame arrived that day, so there was a big concert etc.

yorkshireRich 225 posts

Very civilised in T3 this afternoon. Through security in no time. Currently sat in the Qantas lounge and not many people in at all.

As sad as I am, my proudest achievement today was going on the H&C city line from King’s Cross and when everyone got off with their suitcases at Farringdon, I told the wife I was staying on the tube. She muttered “ah think you”re clever as always”. After one more stop and getting off at Barbican we swopped to the west bound platform, where I walked down the platform further and got the lift which took me to the Elizabeth line. The wife was extremely impressed, and it probably gives me free rein for a short while to search for more random crap on the internet.

Anyway, onto the Cathay Pacific lounge now.

n166 12 posts

Hi guys – booked a BA Premium ticket from London to Bangalore through a travel agent in India (trying to use a bank account I have there for spend on air tickets). There wasnt much of a price difference between booking it here vs there
    after booking, it looks like i had to pay £25 for an asian veg meal?! even though it’s a premium economy ticket.. just wanted to check, this is ridiculous right? i dont ever remember having to pay for a meal, especially on a long haul premium economy ticket

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

@n166, where are you being charged for this? You *should* just be able to go into MMB in your BAEC account and select a special meal type for free.

AJA 1,128 posts

Re quote function not working i have found using the mobile site that if you highlight the text that you wish to quote and then click quote it will post into your comment.

Doesn’t appear to include the name of the person you are quoting but it is perhaps a short term workaround as you can then edit the post to type @froggee or whoever you’ve replying to.

louie 138 posts

Most of you lot frequent Heathrow far more than me! I’m going to be flying from T5 soon and will be dropped off (somewhere) by someone driving a car towing a box trailer. Should have plenty of time. What would be the easiest and/or cheapest way to do this both for them and me? Thanks.

BBbetter 775 posts

after booking, it looks like i had to pay £25 for an asian veg meal?!

Before you think about the cost, have you actually ordered this meal before? An asian veg meal on most airlines is just boiled vegetables in a sauce with rice. If you are expecting an Indian veg meal, you’ll be disappointed.

BBbetter 775 posts

On another note, does anyone remember how the government changed the early May bank holiday in 2020 for the 75th anniversary of VE Day? I’m just wondering if whoever is incumbent by then will do the same.

It ruined a load of people’s wedding plans when it was announced (July-ish 2019), though Covid would still have done that in the end!

80th doesnt have the same zing as 75th (apologies to anyone about to celebrate their 80th) and as you say, its a bit too late to change the holiday!

BBbetter 775 posts

@NorthernLass – the 1st and 8th May are always public holidays in France

Wish UK would move the Early May bank holiday to the 1st of the month and permanently align with Labour day elsewhere.

zapato1060 720 posts

Nepal has 35 bank holidays so we got a long way to go 😀

I found stopping my adblocker fixed the quote function.

Peter K 585 posts

I don’t have an adblocker but there’s an issue for me despite that.

davedent 46 posts

Plane swop ! Q-suite for the 1 hour flight from Doha to Dubai.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,254 posts

@NorthernLass – the 1st and 8th May are always public holidays in France

Wish UK would move the Early May bank holiday to the 1st of the month and permanently align with Labour day elsewhere.

That would mean it would float through the days of the week across the years. In some parts of Europe and the world if a public holiday lands on a weekend its tough as you don’t get a replacement day off.

Most of you lot frequent Heathrow far more than me! I’m going to be flying from T5 soon and will be dropped off (somewhere) by someone driving a car towing a box trailer. Should have plenty of time. What would be the easiest and/or cheapest way to do this both for them and me? Thanks.

IIRC there is a height restriction for vehicles using the in front of terminal drop off area so I’d use the long term parking area and take a free shuttle to the terminal. It’s free to park there for 30 mins

Check the LHR website for actual details.

If it was going to happen it would have been announced by now

The last time the government change the date of a bank holiday with little notice it caused chaos in the hospitality industry and messed up a lot of peoples holidays as they planned on taking the original week off and using 4 days then suddenly finding they were using 5 days. Though of course somethign else happend in 2020 to ruin it all anyway!

In response to moving the MAy day holiday I don’t think Labour will change the day to match Europe. They havn’t before and it’s handy to have bank holidays on fixed Mondays.

chrischris2202 34 posts

Hello – silly one here with BA.
    They just cancelled my MUC-LHR Avios Club Europe booking for tomorrow 8.40pm, offering me a Euro Traveller flight at 4.50pm. I might be able to make it but would prefer not to risk it. Can I ask for another flight closer to the 8.40pm from another carrier and would I still be due compensation? Also, what can I claim from BA if I took the 4.50pm flight?

yorkshireRich 225 posts

I used to think I was lucky with CE but today I’ve had a seat rebound in my face before take off. Kids screaming plane down, kids kicking our seat. FA informing me they have run out of water, yet after meal service more water arrives for other passengers. The horrible smell come from somewhere when I got my meal

It didn’t start well when someone was sat in our seats.

The prawn cocktail was nice. Ah well, aslong as we get there safely.

Misty 289 posts

I used to think I was lucky with CE but today I’ve had a seat rebound in my face before take off. Kids screaming plane down, kids kicking our seat. FA informing me they have run out of water, yet after meal service more water arrives for other passengers. The horrible smell come from somewhere when I got my meal

It didn’t start well when someone was sat in our seats.

The prawn cocktail was nice. Ah well, aslong as we get there safely.

Oh dear, that’s a shame. We had a good CE flight last month, apart from no food choice just the leftover baby poo curry. I had kind of assumed they were all pretty civilised, but maybe my next one will be a rude awakening. I was hoping it was always that good. Maybe nobody with kids wants to go to Maderia. Hope the holiday itself is good.

louie 138 posts

IIRC there is a height restriction for vehicles using the in front of terminal drop off area so I’d use the long term parking area and take a free shuttle to the terminal. It’s free to park there for 30 mins

Check the LHR website for actual details.

Thanks for that. Looks like the short stay car parking height limit is 2.2m, long stay 2.4m. Will have to get the tape measure out but I think it will be OK.

bungalow 181 posts

Quick question please.
    I’m considering downgrading my Amex PR Gold for the free Amex Rewards card, and taking out the cheaper Lloyds World Elite for the Priority Pass/Passes.
    If I then refer someone from the free Amex and they take out the Gold card, do I get a referral bonus? And if so how much.
    I have held the free card before, some time ago, and I seem to remember you didn’t get a referral bonus back then – but not sure.
    Thank you

NorthernLass 8,262 posts

@Flyer/Stayer, hence my original post about the weddings which were messed up by the announcement in 2019 (and then again by Covid). I’m sticking with my hunch though, as I think they’ll only realise once the D Day 80 events are over, and in any case the political parties will be vying for the “most patriotic party” accolade for the next few weeks 😂

BBbetter 775 posts

@bungalow, believe it’s 4k points per referral. You can find that after you login and look at the section for referring someone. Doesn’t matter what card they apply for (as long as it’s not the basic card).

yorkshireRich 225 posts

We are now in the passport control line that resembles a rugby scrum. Somebody just said “welcome to Romania, I’ve never seen it this bad”

Positive, LNER train was busy but orderly and Heathrow T3 was also very calm. I think I’ll enquire if I can sit in the hold next time. That’s the joys of travelling I guess, you never know who you will meet and the experiences that you will have

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Saturday 25th May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.