Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Saturday 25th May

• ukpolak 73 posts

Hello..

So.. my tomorrow 8am SOU-PMI as part of a BA holiday has been cancelled, and I had been auto-rerouted on to a LCY departure on Monday which I didn’t accept. I managed to get re-booked on to a 8am LGW-PMI direct operated by Avion Express (??) but thankfully tomorrow, so still preserving time away this half-term.

BA hols have advised me to keep receipts (basically an expensive cab to get to LGW). Is this the only redress I would be due / could try my luck for? It was a cash booking for a family of 4 to Mallorca for half-term.

Also – whilst I was looking forward to using the SOU spitfire lounge, alas it’ll be LGW South for us tomorrow. Presumably Priority Pass (by Amex) gets us in to a lounge albeit no doubt it’ll be heaving / pre-book only territory? I thought I’d read I’d be due Pizza Express credit or something if I’m not mistaken? Tbh I am grateful for a re-route on to a direct flight as it was touch and go for a moment (avion express or something?) but was wondering what lounge would be available.

Honestly – outbound and inbound flights to NYC cancelled over Easter and now this. Not good BA.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,254 posts

Compensation will depend on the reason for the cancellation.

If they haven’t already said then check this thread (or post and ask) on flyer talk as it may get listed there in the next day or two.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2146197-faq-reason-flight-delay-cancellation-2024-edition-78.html

Avion express doesn’t operate its own flights but is leased by other airlines.

There is a BA LGW-PMI at 08.05 tomorrow. Is that what you’ve been put on?

Smudgerman 15 posts

Hello all, I signed up the last Hilton promo (spend £200, get £50 statement credit) – see https://www.headforpoints.com/2024/04/09/new-50-american-express-and-hilton-hotel-cashback-offer-launched-2/ for details.

Does anyone know if there’s any way of checking what your cumulative spend is towards this ? Have an opportunity to spend towards it, but would spend elsewhere if it doesn’t get me over the line. Thanks … S

bungalow 181 posts

@bungalow, believe it’s 4k points per referral. You can find that after you login and look at the section for referring someone. Doesn’t matter what card they apply for (as long as it’s not the basic card).

Ahh, thank you BB, I knew it wasn’t a lot but hey, 4k is 4k more than I thought! 🙂

davedent 46 posts

It’s normally relatively civilised – I think this is a Europe wide thing for us Brits -I queued for 2 hours to get through passport control in Oslo last night.

meta 1,470 posts

@chrischris2202 You can request a later flight. It’s nearly 4 hours early. If you choose an earlier flight in ET it will be 30% back of everything minus genuine airport taxes(trickier to calculate with RFS) on that leg which might just be peanuts compared to inconvenience.

However, all this might be tricky if BA plays hardball, you’re not familiar with MCOL procedures, etc.

JDB 4,643 posts

We are now in the passport control line that resembles a rugby scrum. Somebody just said “welcome to Romania, I’ve never seen it this bad”

Positive, LNER train was busy but orderly and Heathrow T3 was also very calm. I think I’ll enquire if I can sit in the hold next time. That’s the joys of travelling I guess, you never know who you will meet and the experiences that you will have

@YorkshireRich
    – I hope the rest of your trip in Bucharest goes better than the flight and passport queue. We have just booked to go in November, so will be interested to read your observations. For no good reason, we haven’t really visited much of Eastern Europe save the more obvious Budapest and Prague, but recent trips to Bulgaria, Serbia, North Macedonia and Albania have revealed what amazing places these are – the history, countryside/natural wonders, tourist sites, culture, food, wine and hospitality of the people is extraordinary and the prices are below bargain basement. It’s also interesting to see these places before they become more mainstream as they inevitably will.

ukpolak 73 posts

Thank you – yes indeed that 08:05. Fingers crossed it all goes OK. Original flight cancelled with little notice and original alternative bonkers.

Wiseoldman 123 posts

Hi All

Used the spend £40 in M&S and get £5 off on BA Amex card. Its been a week and no sign of the cash back. Anyone else used this and got the cashback? timeline?

yorkshireRich 225 posts

We are now in the passport control line that resembles a rugby scrum. Somebody just said “welcome to Romania, I’ve never seen it this bad”

Positive, LNER train was busy but orderly and Heathrow T3 was also very calm. I think I’ll enquire if I can sit in the hold next time. That’s the joys of travelling I guess, you never know who you will meet and the experiences that you will have

@YorkshireRich
    – I hope the rest of your trip in Bucharest goes better than the flight and passport queue. We have just booked to go in November, so will be interested to read your observations. For no good reason, we haven’t really visited much of Eastern Europe save the more obvious Budapest and Prague, but recent trips to Bulgaria, Serbia, North Macedonia and Albania have revealed what amazing places these are – the history, countryside/natural wonders, tourist sites, culture, food, wine and hospitality of the people is extraordinary and the prices are below bargain basement. It’s also interesting to see these places before they become more mainstream as they inevitably will.

ive just talked to a lovely lady in the queue who lives in Brighton now but is from Bucharest and she was informing me of all the great places to visit in Romania. I was a tad embarrassed as Unfortunately I won’t do it justice whatsoever as we are only here for such a short period of time. I will literally be doing a city tour tomorrow, finding a bar to watch Leeds united in on the afternoon and then Monday we have the theme spa booked. This allows some time in the evening Monday and Tuesday morning before our flight back.

Just talking of other countries, we were the same in Bulgaria, we loved it but only had a short stay in Sofia. There is such a big world and time just does not allow to venture to it all.

Lastly, the lady checking us in at the Athenee Palace as just told me to get an Uber everywhere as taxi drivers will almost certainly attempt to rip you off. That really does annoy me, and that’s one thing I do like about certain countries, such as Singapore.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,254 posts

Hello all, I signed up the last Hilton promo (spend £200, get £50 statement credit) – see https://www.headforpoints.com/2024/04/09/new-50-american-express-and-hilton-hotel-cashback-offer-launched-2/ for details.

Does anyone know if there’s any way of checking what your cumulative spend is towards this ? Have an opportunity to spend towards it, but would spend elsewhere if it doesn’t get me over the line. Thanks … S

Look at your statements and use a calculator to add up the Hilton transactions.

It’s a bit much to expect Amex to set up spend trackers for every offer.

Froggee 986 posts

It’s normally relatively civilised – I think this is a Europe wide thing for us Brits -I queued for 2 hours to get through passport control in Oslo last night.

I’m loving my privileged quote rights courtesy of my premium Headforpoints membership.

Faro immigration was a minute at 3 o’clock today. Kermit was pleased and Kermit is not easily pleased. The lady that picked us up said mornings can be bad though – up to an hour. I guess it’s all the LCCs sending the first plane of the day at the Algarve.

Froggee 986 posts

Oh and the BA flight was nuts. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many toddlers in a confined space. And I used to drop Kermit off at nursery. The noise was something else. Come back Ryanair drunks – all is forgiven.

Richie 1,039 posts

@ukpolak BTW BACF seem to be having an aircraft problem at the moment with two planes still at EXEter airport for maintenace. Flightradar24 has the details.

Return2sender 2 posts

Boudicca Day! Get the chariots ready!

davefl 1,413 posts

@YorkshireRich Try Bolt too. Typically cheaper than Uber. Works in exactly the same way.

ChrisBCN 293 posts

don’t think I’ve ever seen so many toddlers in a confined space. And I used to drop Kermit off at nursery. The noise was something else. Come back Ryanair drunks

I think I would take drunks over toddlers every day…

meta 1,470 posts

@yorkshireRich @JDB

Bucharest is lovely for 2-3 days. The food is amazing and reasonable. I went last month, but I did not find it as cheap as Sofia though. Bucharest has unfortunately already become mainstream (my plane was full of hen&stag parties). You have to go to other parts of the country to move away from that. There are also many inauthentic places, especially on the main stretch of Lipscani.

As @davefl says Bolt works better than Uber!

BA just cancelled service to Belgrade from September after less than a year. My last trip was two years ago and planned to book with BA for next year. A shame given that according to colleagues BA planes to Belgrade were always packed.

Metty 87 posts

@ukpolak I see that the Bergerac-Southampton flight BA2910/G-LCAE has been delayed from 1800 departure today to 1100 departure tomorrow. I suspect that this aircraft’s next trip would have been yours, had it managed to get back to Southampton tonight.

SamG 1,683 posts

Thank you – yes indeed that 08:05. Fingers crossed it all goes OK. Original flight cancelled with little notice and original alternative bonkers.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-lcae

Something went wrong and the aircraft got stuck in Bergerac so SOU-PMI-LCY cancelled. It’s tricky as even if there is a spare aircraft on the ground at LCY it’s closed on Saturday afternoon and Sunday AM so they couldn’t get it out to pick up the schedule. Considering the amount of summer weekend flying they’re doing now on various charters and scheduled flying I am surprised they don’t have a spare but it would need multiple sets of on duty crew with it so probably not practical

SamG 1,683 posts

BA Euroflyer A321 out of Gatwick, no Avion Express this year ! Though there has been a Titan A321 knocking about last couple of days . Hope it goes smoothly !

Richie 1,039 posts

@SamG BTW BACF planes G-LCAD, G-LCYJ & G-LCYS were parked at Stansted saturday afternoon to sunday 26th May, so it seems a standby crew problem which is very poor for BACF.

Toaster 109 posts

Wiseoldman 92 posts
    Hi All

Used the spend £40 in M&S and get £5 off on BA Amex card. Its been a week and no sign of the cash back. Anyone else used this and got the cashback? timeline?

I did the spend at Asda and the first two £5 came through in a couple of days, the third £5 is not paid yet and it’s been about a week.

SamG 1,683 posts

@SamG BTW BACF planes G-LCAD, G-LCYJ & G-LCYS were parked at Stansted saturday afternoon to sunday 26th May, so it seems a standby crew problem which is very poor for BACF.

All booked out this morning so likely no help for the OP but yes surprised they didn’t have a plan to launch a “rescue mission” for Bergerac though

The problem they have if they called out a home standby crew at LCY and then had to get them over to Stansted their duty hours would be pretty limited. So they’d need to have a “trip” to Stansted with appropriate rest prior. That would be quite resources intensive for them to potentially sit around most of the time ! I’m sure they do the sums vs UK261

JDB 4,643 posts

@yorkshireRich @JDB

BA just cancelled service to Belgrade from September after less than a year. My last trip was two years ago and planned to book with BA for next year. A shame given that according to colleagues BA planes to Belgrade were always packed.

Yes, that’s a big shame – today’s flight is completely full with 12 rows of Club and it’s not even a tier point run route or maybe that’s why the route is being pulled. Loved my first trip to Belgrade in December, now visiting eastern Serbia – Vrnjačka Banja, Felix Romuliana, Negotin and many places in between.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Saturday 25th May’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.