Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Saturday 2nd July

Chat thread – Saturday 2nd July

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Bobibo

British Airways Damaged Luggage Question
    BA damaged my Samsonite luggage, the case is cracked. This was noted in Heatrow, they redirected me to a company called K2 global.
    K2 says my luggage is old, only worth £50 due to %20 yearly depreciation, and they try to sell me a unbranded luggage for £120.
    I contacted BA and they say “oops, sorry that’s it. ”

I want a like for like replecement, what should I tell BA, is there a law that I can refer to?

This is the first time I’m dealing with a damaged luggage claim, thanks for any help.

yonasl

BA damaged my Samsonite luggage, the case is cracked. This was noted in Heatrow, they redirected me to a company called K2 global.
    K2 says my luggage is old, only worth £50 due to %20 yearly depreciation, and they try to sell me a unbranded luggage for £120.

I want a like for like replecement, what should I tell BA, is there a law that I can refer to?

This is the first time I’m dealing with a damaged luggage claim, thanks for any help.

My experience with luggage damaged at Heathrow is that they usually will try to repair or simply give you a list of cases to chose to replace the damaged one.

strickers

They broke an old Samsonite? Those things are built like the side of a house. How much for a second hand one on eBay, maybe go back to them with that as an option?

iplaypoker

Question about the free fast track security with the Heathrow express. Could we just buy tickets and not use them to get free fast track. Travelling in eco in school holidays and this could be a cheap option of getting it a bit easier.

Tracey

Question about the free fast track security with the Heathrow express. Could we just buy tickets and not use them to get free fast track. Travelling in eco in school holidays and this could be a cheap option of getting it a bit easier.

I don’t see how fast track would know if you used tickets.

Thegasman

£32pp is more than Fast Track is worth at the moment. Security is so short staffed that they will pull staff from FT to normal lines if there is starting to be a significant discrepancy in queuing times. Remember it’s entirely a service paid for by the airlines at the moment with no direct sales so having it running as a genuine “fast” service will make LHR no additional revenue.

NorthernLass

We went through T5 security on Thursday at 8 am – it took about 20 minutes, including secondary searches of 2 of our bags. Both queues were moving at the same rate. The B lounge was blissfully quiet and our bacon sandwiches arrived about 2 minutes after we ordered them. Our flight left more or less on time even though we read that LHR was rammed that day and many flights were cancelled as the airport had exceeded passenger capacity. Can’t fault any of it.
    Our flight to GCM was long but extremely comfortable in Club Suites. However, the catering wasn’t great. There was a choice of beef cheeks, chicken pie and vegetable tikka massala. The pie was actually very tasty but not exactly what I’d expect in a premium cabin! Plus, on a 12 hour flight, that and the very insubstantial afternoon tea was all we got. The Club cabin only yielded more stodge so by the time we arrived we were desperate for a proper meal. The crew were lovely, though, especially a steward called Jose Luiz who seemed to know by telepathy exactly how I like my coffee and tea.
    The newly-refurbished Hampton Inn, where we spent the first night, was very pleasant but I got absolutely zilch recognition for being HH gold – I asked if they had any bottles of water and they said they’d run out! When we were checking out I mentioned it and they removed the resort fee from the bill as we hadn’t had chance to use any of the associated amenities.

Lumma

Email from Qatar, 1000 avios for filling in a survey came this morning. Takes literally 2 minutes to fill in too.

JakeMc

Quick question – to cancel an Avios flight booked 3-4 months ago and get all the avios back do I need to call or can I do it online. When I tried to do it online it sent me down the route of a voucher

dougzz99

@NorthernLass. A Hampton with a resort fee, wow. Everyday I learn something new.

Andrew J

Just got an invite to apply for the Harrods Amex with an enhanced SUB of £200 worth of Harrods points when spending £5k in 3 months. I’m wondering if my Platinum and BAPP will exclude me from the SUB, no mention in T&Cs.

NorthernLass

@NorthernLass. A Hampton with a resort fee, wow. Everyday I learn something new.

It’s GCM so this Hampton is $400/70k points pn 😬😂. One of the cheaper options on the island!

DZOO

Just landed at LHR and bags never arrived from KUL (flew MH) … what reasonable costs for clothing etc can be covered – is there a rule / limit? Presume need to keep all receipts etc? Thanks so much (and sorry I know it’s been addressed here before but all happening live and need to get connecting flight)

yorkshireRich

Just a quick story I have remembered after reading a few topics this morning regarding security queues and fast track.
    Last Sunday evening we connected at Heathrow and it was extremely quiet downstairs at passport control. We then went upstairs where other people were coming towards us. The wife said to me outloud “where are all these people coming from, we are in the right queue aren’t we”. This lady turned round and replied to me “it’s chaos and people are angry. They have opened up more lines so I would be careful when you decide to push in because people won’t be impressed with you”.

I was diplomatic, but quickly got through the queue and headed to the bliss that is 5B where there was about 20 people in the lounge all evening.

JDB

Just landed at LHR and bags never arrived from KUL (flew MH) … what reasonable costs for clothing etc can be covered – is there a rule / limit? Presume need to keep all receipts etc? Thanks so much (and sorry I know it’s been addressed here before but all happening live and need to get connecting flight)

It depends what your whole journey is. If you are returning home to the UK (ie your connecting flight is domestic) the airline won’t cover buying clothes. If you are away from home and have filed a PIR/lost baggage report they should advise then what is allowed but if not, it all comes down to what is ‘reasonable’. You should look at your travel insurance policy as well to see if that offers cover.

ed_fly

Email from Qatar, 1000 avios for filling in a survey came this morning. Takes literally 2 minutes to fill in too.

also received, super easy 1000 avios

SMB

@JakeMc My daughter did it a few days ago. Filled in a form for an e-voucher on MMB which did seem odd but was the only option. Got an email the following day to say full refund of Avios and money heading her way. Yet to check if it’s materialised as she’s at Wimbledon for the weekend.

Junior

Currently organising a trip from Genoa-Edinburgh. GOA-LGW is on Vueling, and will be EZY from LGW-EDI. Anyone got experience of the connection? Inbound scheduled to arrive at 12.20. First outbound is 13.35 and my chaos energy reckons I can make it. Next flight after is 15.50…

Simonm

I had something similar a while ago.

I was passed from BA to K2. I told K2 I wasn’t satisfied with their offer and asked for the case (not suitcase!) to be passed back to BA Customer Services. They told me the offer from K2 was final. I then wrote one final email saying I rejected their offer as I didn’t believe suitcases depreciated by as much as they were saying, mine was in good condition (I had photographs of the damage which showed it was otherwise pretty perfect) and that I wouldn’t accept a replacement which wasn’t of a comparable brand / quality. Again BA came back and said their offer was final.

I’m quite determined so ploughed on and started a small claims court case and BA paid me the amount in full (plus court costs) before the case was heard. It was a bit of hassle, but not much tbh!

JakeMc

@SMB
    – Thanks. Managed to get through to the US line actually after ‘only’ 20 min

JDB

Currently organising a trip from Genoa-Edinburgh. GOA-LGW is on Vueling, and will be EZY from LGW-EDI. Anyone got experience of the connection? Inbound scheduled to arrive at 12.20. First outbound is 13.35 and my chaos energy reckons I can make it. Next flight after is 15.50…

Presumably with the timings you are suggesting, you are travelling HBO, but even so, 1h15 to clear immigration and potentially change terminals (I think Vueling South, Easyjet mainly North but some South?) is super optimistic in the current environment. The MCT for inter terminal transfers is 1h30.

I imagine you would also be on separate tickets, so that if you miss the connection you are potentially a bit stuffed and will be relying on goodwill to get on to the next flight…

Lady London

I’d leave 5 hours give or take in between, with current travel conditions and have insurance as well.

ChrisC

You might think you have 1 hr 15 mins to make this supposed connection (it’s not a connection on separate tickets) but you’ve not allowed any time for the EZY gate close time.

IIRC that’s 30 mins so in reality you have 45 mins to get from arriving gate to departure gate.

Rethink your plans.

Pointofview

Has anyone heard anymore about the new HSBC points portal and if we are going to be getting a hotel redemption partner?
    I think I remember someone mentioning it on here.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Saturday 2nd July’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.