Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Saturday 2nd July

Chat thread – Saturday 2nd July

Topic closed
  • Andrew.

Currently organising a trip from Genoa-Edinburgh. GOA-LGW is on Vueling, and will be EZY from LGW-EDI. Anyone got experience of the connection? Inbound scheduled to arrive at 12.20. First outbound is 13.35 and my chaos energy reckons I can make it. Next flight after is 15.50…

A few weeks back we arrived back into LGW from Bilbao on Vueling. We were on stand at 19:40, I was on the 20:03 train from Gatwick station with hold luggage.

(At Paddington for 21:00)

roger

It seem all of a sudden BA has jacked up prices from LHR to some other UK airports such as EDI, ABZ, INV etc.
    At cases, 100% jump! Are those flights likely to be axed or just predatory pricing on BA’s part?

For a weekend in August LHR-MAN which was £90 in Y is now close to £300!

• This reply was modified 52 years, 7 months ago by .
    Boi

1. Is £3600 a good price for QR SEA-JNB or should I wait for black friday or other sales? The trip is in mar 2023.

2. Also would you fly QR or BA (if BA costs £200 less)?

3. How would you rank QR, BA, AF, KLM : the fares are so close, all in business

Roberto

It seem all of a sudden BA has jacked up prices from LHR to some other UK airports such as EDI, ABZ, INV etc.
    At cases, 100% jump! Are those flights likely to be axed or just predatory pricing on BA’s part?

The cynic would say there could be a sale coming and that’s how they justify “price cuts”….

achoogirl

Just returned from a lovely trip to New York. I only travel hand luggage only so check in was very straightforward (just a check of my documents). I liked the new club suites although I wish they would do something about the White Company amenity kit as it’s pretty useless and I much preferred Elemis! As @Northernlass says the menu was stodge – I had the chicken pie which was nice. Arrival in JFK made me glad for Global Entry as the queue was so long they delayed us coming off the aircraft.

Stayed at a Marriott where check in was slow, again I didn’t get my status upgrade (room was nice) and it was USD 30 for two bottles of water. I’m beginning to question my loyalty to Bonvoy as post-pandemic it’s not felt very premium service

Flew back out of EWR – security was a mess and they don’t have TSA Pre-check so everyone forms a line. Lounge was nice and food options good.

Flight back delayed to 11pm so I didn’t fancy a huge meal and they didn’t have lighter options so just cheese and port for me.

Good luck to anyone with connections at the moment – about a dozen passengers missed theirs yesterday due to aircraft being late and no staff to take us to stand.

gw57

Question have a flight to Faro on July 30th out of Gatwick. I tried booking a flight on the same plane but the flight does not appear as an option !!

Does this mean it’s going to be cancelled or is it simply full ?

Is there anyway of finding out.

And if it is cancelled do I get offered a new flight on the same day, as getting a flight a day before would not work as would need to find a hotel for one night .

ChrisC

It’s a way of restricting new bookings and damping down demand and BA have done it several times over the years.

It’s not a sign that a particular flight will be cancelled but if they are then there are less people to rebook onto other flights and if that flight isn’t cancelled it allows other passengers to be rebooked onto it from other cancelled flights.

Stephan

My in laws are in business on our flight out from Heathrow and I’m trying to decide whether to also book business or stick with economy. Main thing I’m trying to see is, would my baby and toddler (economy) be allowed to go with their grand parents (business) into the lounge while me and my wife (economy) don’t go in? Just like the play area in the lounge but not enough business avios for all of us. Thanks!

Tracey

My in laws are in business on our flight out from Heathrow and I’m trying to decide whether to also book business or stick with economy. Main thing I’m trying to see is, would my baby and toddler (economy) be allowed to go with their grand parents (business) into the lounge while me and my wife (economy) don’t go in? Just like the play area in the lounge but not enough business avios for all of us. Thanks!

From memory, under 2s don’t count so could go with the grandparents. In fact, as they don’t have seats on the plane, is there anything stopping them sitting with the in laws on the flight?

Michael C

As Tracey says, below 2 years they can enter “free”, and all 6 of you could go in! But not
    if toddler is 25 months++. Having said all that, the play area was still closed 3 weeks ago.

Andrew.

Edinburgh is always outrageously expensive in August.

Avios tickets are also few and far between. Sadly my cousin passed away this week, funeral mid July. Normally an Off-peak midweek ticket from LHR or LCY to GLA or EDI are readily available. There’s just a few tickets via Belfast available.

With prices for a cash ticket in the region of £400, I’ll be making the 800 mile round trip to Perthshire in the car.

ChrisC

From memory, under 2s don’t count so could go with the grandparents. In fact, as they don’t have seats on the plane, is there anything stopping them sitting with the in laws on the flight?

The availability of O2 masks could require seat shuffling

The fact they will be sat on the grandparents laps for several hours may be too much to bear even for the most loving of grandparents.

AJA

Question have a flight to Faro on July 30th out of Gatwick. I tried booking a flight on the same plane but the flight does not appear as an option !!

Does this mean it’s going to be cancelled or is it simply full ?

Is there anyway of finding out.

And if it is cancelled do I get offered a new flight on the same day, as getting a flight a day before would not work as would need to find a hotel for one night .

It’s possible it has been cancelled but equally it could be that it’s fully booked and therefore now not available to book. Unfortunately BA’s flight status webpage only shows flights for the next 10 days. So you have to wait until 20 July to check unless you receive a cancellation email in the meantime.

If it is cancelled you have EC261 rights to reroute at your earliest convenience so ideally another flight the same day. Right now I wouldn’t worry unduly.

Mikeact

We went through T5 security on Thursday at 8 am – it took about 20 minutes, including secondary searches of 2 of our bags. Both queues were moving at the same rate. The B lounge was blissfully quiet and our bacon sandwiches arrived about 2 minutes after we ordered them. Our flight left more or less on time even though we read that LHR was rammed that day and many flights were cancelled as the airport had exceeded passenger capacity. Can’t fault any of it.
    Our flight to GCM was long but extremely comfortable in Club Suites. However, the catering wasn’t great. There was a choice of beef cheeks, chicken pie and vegetable tikka massala. The pie was actually very tasty but not exactly what I’d expect in a premium cabin! Plus, on a 12 hour flight, that and the very insubstantial afternoon tea was all we got. The Club cabin only yielded more stodge so by the time we arrived we were desperate for a proper meal. The crew were lovely, though, especially a steward called Jose Luiz who seemed to know by telepathy exactly how I like my coffee and tea.
    The newly-refurbished Hampton Inn, where we spent the first night, was very pleasant but I got absolutely zilch recognition for being HH gold – I asked if they had any bottles of water and they said they’d run out! When we were checking out I mentioned it and they removed the resort fee from the bill as we hadn’t had chance to use any of the associated amenities.

Did you have to pay the Resort fee ?

Mikeact

Sorry, just read the last sentence, but they are charging a Resort fee as standard..

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Saturday 2nd July’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.