Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Saturday 2nd March

• SamG 1,636 posts

@yorkshireRich I’d be tempted by the MO – if you’ve stayed before you know the service is top notch and it’s had full refurbishment very recently

Cat 134 posts

Remember with southwest, your first 2 bags fly free .. don’t kid yourself any AA lounge is worth much..

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/travel-fees.html

I mean, @tomtom135 is unlikely to be able to accss one on an internal flight, but the AA flagship lounges are great…

dougzz99 631 posts

…rent a convertible muscle car…

Sounds like a great plan!

If that doesn’t work out, I’d also consider going full-on American on the other direction by renting a massive luxury SUV – Chevy Suburban or the like. There’s something incredibly serene about being behind the wheel of those behemoths, and they’re fantastically comfortable and practical for a long trip, too.

There is nothing luxury about the Suburban, massive yes, luxury no. Give me something German, Infiniti, or maybe a Mazda over anything traditionally US. I have a soft spot for Dodge, I think because I’ve been suckered by the advertizing, rather than vehicle quality. It’s been discussed previously, but US vehicles are reverse Tarduses, huge externally, they find a way to make the interior cramped. Unless there is 5+ of you I’d avoid the Suburban, and equally the Tahoe, and Ford Expeditions. Muscle cars are fast in a straight line, but not drivable, and there’s less space in them than you’d expect. A convertible will lack any meaningful luggage space.

In urban areas in particular the road quality will make you want something with a slightly kinder ride, although typically cars in the US don’t go in for low profile tyres. Even with the adjusted for US market suspension a Mercedes, BMW, Audi or VW will drive much nicer than anything US. I’m aware that many companies manufacture in the US, but what is usually regarded as German is broadly speaking the way to go.

harley 110 posts

In the One World Benefits table it says under “Ruby” “Total of 1 bag on American”.

Can confirm this is true, 1 bag allowed for each person on same booking even if only 1 person has ruby. Also can select any exit seats upon checkin opening

Peggerz 104 posts

A word of warning for anyone considering the 5* Waldorf Astoria Caledonian Hotel or the 4* Hilton Carlton Hotel in Edinburgh.
    It was announced yesterday that the property fund managers Henderson Park and hotel operator Klarent Hospitality have a joint £50 million upgrade just started. Whilst this is much needed – especially at the Caledonian – it could affect your stay in the future until work in completed. The work includes bedrooms and public spaces, with the Carlton adding an additional 86 bedrooms. It is reported that both hotels are already under renovation. I was in the Caledonian last week and there was no work ongoing in the public areas that I could see.

djdj 33 posts

My wife is on my household account (obviously)
    Can she also be on a friend’s friends and family list?

CamFlyer 45 posts

Remember with southwest, your first 2 bags fly free .. don’t kid yourself any AA lounge is worth much..

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/travel-fees.html

Lounge access is only available if you’re on a connecting international flight same day for AA and Delta and not with elite or ruby in any case.

If you have Amex Plat, iirc you get same day DL SkyClub access when flying DL.

SMB 26 posts

Adult daughter flying out next Friday to Nashville and returning from New Orleans,CW.
    Any seats on 787 or 787-8 to avoid (if possible) for a singleton? Day outbound and overnight return.

phantomchickenz 312 posts

@yorkshireRich I’d be tempted by the MO – if you’ve stayed before you know the service is top notch and it’s had full refurbishment very recently

I’m taking a punt and guessing the MO is Mandarin Oriental?

£100 back on £500 spend on my Platinum currently.

zapato1060 625 posts

Does Avis honor President Club status with OTA bookings? Booking direct was £90 more?

tomtom135 16 posts

Thanks everyone for the replies earlier, very useful.

ATP 62 posts

I’ve booked a QR redemption via BA. QR have changed the flight times twice, resulting in a flight now 2h earlier than originally scheduled. Am I eligible to rebook on a more suitable itinerary? It is SIN-LHR so lots of other QR flights.

NorthernLass 7,466 posts

You’ll need to contact QR and plead your case, they can be very helpful from previous posts on here. You don’t have any specific legal rights here. I think BA would say it’s not a significant change.

ATP 62 posts

Thank you @NL

davedent 54 posts

Has anyone been to Fiji and have any ideas on hotels – thanks in advance.

phantomchickenz 312 posts

For the real experience, get off the mainland. Not sure if you’re after a chain/points etc, but I enjoyed the Octopus Resort (albeit 15+ years ago)

ExpatInBerlin 188 posts

I have just stood at the barriers at Oxford Circus behind a chap who tried to tap in using his Priority Pass. Made me chuckle!

jj 526 posts

There is nothing luxury about the Suburban, massive yes, luxury no. Give me something German, Infiniti, or maybe a Mazda over anything traditionally US

In your opinion. I and my family loved the high-end one I hired a couple of years back, and I drive a Porsche and Range Rover at home so I do understand what premium means. Utterly impractical in a UK multi-storey, of course, but perfectly suited to the wide straight roads and enormous distances of the Rocky Mountains.

davefl 1,229 posts

Lounge access is only available if you’re on a connecting international flight same day for AA and Delta and not with elite or ruby in any case.

If you have Amex Plat, iirc you get same day DL SkyClub access when flying DL.

Yes that’s still a thing with a UK Plat https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/airport-lounge/

yorkshireRich 194 posts

I’ve just been a few weeks ago. As phantom mentioned, I think the key is to get onto the islands. I didn’t do that but had a “chilled” wonderful holiday.

Let me know what are thinking and I can give you my opinions, for what they are worth.

davedent 54 posts

liked the idea of six senses but fully booked so Marriott of IC as only there for 4 days – what do you suggest ?

Lyn 191 posts

Morning all, we are booking internal flights for a US road trip. I am currently VA Silver/BA Bronze and we just want a cheap short internal economy flight but will have loads of bags. I’m assuming if I book AA or Delta I will be able to use the business check in, any of the two options have any advantage in this situation? AA flight says it is operated by Sky West DBA American Eagle.

Also an unrelated question, does anyone know the best way to rent a convertible muscle car and get a guaranteed decent car. I’m worried Hertz etc may switch it out for something worse that we’ll be stuck with for 2 weeks. Cheers.

You should get 1 bag each free with OneWorld Ruby (BA Bronze) on American flights. American treats Sky West and American Eagle like other American flights. Here is there checked baggage policy – look at the “Complimentary Bags” section

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp

Also, the Ruby baggage benfits should apply even with American’s HBO fares.

I think there have been some confusion with another link which was posted, showing the minimum benefits for American’s own frequent flyers when flying on other OneWorld airlines.

Ghosty 17 posts

Regarding baggage on AA internal. Our party of 4 adults 1 child(9) and a lap infant, flew LAX to Honolulu return on AA in April last year.
    I was the only passenger with status Re: BA bronze. Because we had a lap infant we could not check in on line but had to check in at the business class desks. We were not charged at all for any baggage (5 suitcases, 1 buggy and 1 child car seat).
    You can almost always put a carry on bag in the hold at the boarding gate for free.

yorkshireRich 194 posts

liked the idea of six senses but fully booked so Marriott of IC as only there for 4 days – what do you suggest ?

we ventured quite close the Ic as we hired a van for one of the days. The beach was pretty decent. We met a couple at our hotel who had been to marriot Momi bay and said the setting is great but the food isn’t as good as where we were staying. Both Intercontinental and Marriot quite secluded from what I can gather.

We were staying at Sheraton Fiji golf resort. Beach was nothing to write home about but it was good for what we wanted. We were on “tourist island” so to
    Speak where the Sofitel/hilton radisson is located. You can do boat tours from there. Keep us
    Updated which you choose.

Sorry I couldn’t help too much.

davedent 54 posts

Thanks loads that really helpful – will keep you updated ! Fiji airways A350 looks really good in business btw.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Saturday 2nd March’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.