Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Saturday 8th January

Chat thread – Saturday 8th January

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

MarkSX

I have unlimited entry on LoungeKey with the HSBC Premier WEMC. Flying through T2 later this morning where I get £15 off at Big Smoke Taphouse. Out of curiosity, can I actually settle the bill, walk out, then come back in…? Is there a time lapse between each visit for LoungeKey?

John

I have unlimited entry on LoungeKey with the HSBC Premier WEMC. Flying through T2 later this morning where I get £15 off at Big Smoke Taphouse. Out of curiosity, can I actually settle the bill, walk out, then come back in…? Is there a time lapse between each visit for LoungeKey?

Thought it was once a day as I had some issues a few years ago when I went back through the same airport, it was a day trip to somewhere in Europe via a hub

Jim Utd

Can anybody recall the website address that does the weekly updates to Virgin Atlantic’s Operations report. Used to be the source before it shut I think?

jp-mco

I apologise if this is an utterly stupid question but I’m travelling to USA with my family next month and we’ve booked Randox Antigen in-clinic tests at EMA for our pre-departure testing. Although we’re doing the tests at EMA we’re flying from LHR but the test centre at LHR will be closed by the time we get there so it works better for us. Didn’t want the hassle of doing a video test. I assume it is acceptable for travel to the USA because it is supervised/administered.

I realise it’s probably a stupid question but to be honest they’ve changed the rules so many times for travel and they’ve so many different names for the tests it’s a bit baffling. This will be our first time returning to international travel since February 2020 so we’ve not had to do travel tests up until now.

ChrisC

JP – That’s absolutely fine to do an in person test.

Sure yiu can get cheaper video supervised tests but I’d prefer a personally administered one.

SteveJ

Didn’t want the hassle of doing a video test.

Sure yiu can get cheaper video supervised tests but I’d prefer a personally administered one.

Genuine question : wherein lies this perceived hassle with a video test? I.e. Why would anyone prefer an in person? Is it just the faff of setting up the webcam that puts people off?

davedent

Yesterday I booked a multi carrier avios redemption – this morning I notice the final flight has been cancelled JFK-MAD. I booked this mainly because the taxes were much lower -What are my rights in this circumstance ?

Ryanfozzie

Yesterday I booked a multi carrier avios redemption – this morning I notice the final flight has been cancelled JFK-MAD. I booked this mainly because the taxes were much lower -What are my rights in this circumstance ?

I would say a re route…. so think of what you want (EI/AA/IB/BA/AY)…

JFK-DUB-MAD (EI)
    JKF-HEL-MAD (AY)
    JFK-LHR-MAD (BA)
    JFK-MAD (Different IB or AA flight)
    JFK-XXX(EURO CITY)- MAD (AA/IB)

ChrisC

Genuine question : wherein lies this perceived hassle with a video test? I.e. Why would anyone prefer an in person? Is it just the faff of setting up the webcam that puts people off?

For me it’s just personal preferencce not technophobia.

oxforddoc

Delighted to say I received an email congratulating me on winning 60k Avios in the NHS Avios prize draw.

Many thanks to HfP for highlighting the promotion. As someone who worked as a doctor on a Covid ward for the first six months of the pandemic and currently on ITU, I’m very grateful!

jp-mco

JP – That’s absolutely fine to do an in person test.

Thank you, appreciate the reply. As for why a video test is a hassle; we have a 2 year old that hates tests. Imagine having to restrain a 2 year old, administer the swab and remain in shot the whole time. It’s not easy so an extra pair of hands to administer the test whilst we hold her is easier for us.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by jp-mco.
    Gary

What is the BA route that ties up least avios/cash to save my AMEX companion voucher expiring in 4 days? Remember it was mentioned but searched forum to no avail.

polly

I have unlimited entry on LoungeKey with the HSBC Premier WEMC. Flying through T2 later this morning where I get £15 off at Big Smoke Taphouse. Out of curiosity, can I actually settle the bill, walk out, then come back in…? Is there a time lapse between each visit for LoungeKey?[/quote

Grain Store in LGW used to run it through 2 or 3 times for me when l needed to order extra items to eat. Then again at the till for a takeaway coffee and juice! They just did it at the end. Check before you order, they’re usually flexible with these charges, esp now as it’s real income for them.

John

What is the BA route that ties up least avios/cash to save my AMEX companion voucher expiring in 4 days? Remember it was mentioned but searched forum to no avail.

Jersey to London

Lady London

Delighted to say I received an email congratulating me on winning 60k Avios in the NHS Avios prize draw.

Many thanks to HfP for highlighting the promotion. As someone who worked as a doctor on a Covid ward for the first six months of the pandemic and currently on ITU, I’m very grateful!

Congratulations it’s good news to hear those avios are going to where they were intended to

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Saturday 8th January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.