Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Sunday 19th December

Chat thread – Sunday 19th December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

Please do not post here until Sunday 🙂 Hopefully we will get this automated before Christmas, but we have higher priorities for Neil’s IT time at the moment.

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Tarmohamed

It’s Sunday where I am…

1. We booked the new Hilton in Yas Island but just found out Yas Waterworld is closed during our dates so in between deciding

a- if we continue with our 5 night stay and enjoy Ferrari and Warner with our 3 year old. Those who’ve visited these 2 parks, is it worth going? Will spending 5 nights at the Hilton feel forever or is there plenty to do?

b- since we land in Dubai, we could stay at JBR – which hotel do you recommend? Also, if anyone has stayed at the 3 different Hilton’s at JBR, which one would you recommend? Generally staying at JBR seems to cost more than Yas Island even when adding up transfer from DXB to Abu Dhabi.

If anyone has been to Yas Island, is it comparable to JBR in terms of activities and dining?

We considered RAK Waldorf but there doesn’t seem to be much to do? Sea temp in January is cold so do I really want to stay at a beach resort with a 3 year old?

I’ve driven enough in Dubai last month and Jan 2021, I just want to relax this time so won’t be getting a car hire at all.

2. Circuit breaker lockdown- we are due to be back on 13th Jan, do I extend my holiday?

Any advice, direction and suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 1 month ago by .
    Stephan

Quick question on how to deal with missing luggage. Just arrived in Geneva with BA to be told that the guys in London forgot to load a single piece of luggage for all the travellers onto the plane which I’ve never heard of. Anyways I was just given a, leaflet and told to go online. I went online and it suggests contacting my travel insurance. I have amex platinum.

Question how best do I tackle this, go directly with the travel insurance or go to BA with the questions? Also I’m surprised they didn’t give me a claim number but guess given it was late in the day I didn’t get one..? Anyways given the whole planes, luggage is missing which also, including our child’s car seats, it may be a while for stuff to arrive. What can I claim for? Don’t intend to take advantage but missing car seats and no winter cloths is quite a pain!

Thanks! Hopefully this forum setup works just as well as the daily bits!

pbcold

A friend of mine was performing in a concert in Hamburg last night and BA left the timpani and double bass at LHR.

dbbs

It’s Sunday where I am…

1. We booked the new Hilton in Yas Island but just found out Yas Waterworld is closed during our dates so in between deciding

a- if we continue with our 5 night stay and enjoy Ferrari and Warner with our 3 year old. Those who’ve visited these 2 parks, is it worth going? Will spending 5 nights at the Hilton feel forever or is there plenty to do?

b- since we land in Dubai, we could stay at JBR – which hotel do you recommend? Also, if anyone has stayed at the 3 different Hilton’s at JBR, which one would you recommend? Generally staying at JBR seems to cost more than Yas Island even when adding up transfer from DXB to Abu Dhabi.

If anyone has been to Yas Island, is it comparable to JBR in terms of activities and dining?

We considered RAK Waldorf but there doesn’t seem to be much to do? Sea temp in January is cold so do I really want to stay at a beach resort with a 3 year old?

I’ve driven enough in Dubai last month and Jan 2021, I just want to relax this time so won’t be getting a car hire at all.

2. Circuit breaker lockdown- we are due to be back on 13th Jan, do I extend my holiday?

It’s Sunday where I am…

I’ve stayed with family at Hilton The Walk in 2017 and Doubletree JBR in 2018.

Both are great but the Doubletree rooms/apartments are fresher and the pool area is better. There is also a separate, covered toddlers pool.

If you stay at Hilton The Walk you have full access to The Hilton JBR facilities. The pool is large but is shaded much of the day as is right next to a building.

All three Hilton hotels are on The Walk so you have access to great takeaway/dining options. Both also have direct beach access.

If considering JBR, Le Royal Meridien might be an option. We stayed a long time ago and it is still the best hotel we’ve ever been to. They’ve had an excellent, very recent review on HfP.

Hope you have a nice stay in Abu Dhabi and/or Dubai!

roger

With the travel restrictions are we expecting BA 241 voucher expiry further extended

Men Ives expiring in about a months time

ms

With the travel restrictions are we expecting BA 241 voucher expiry further extended

Men Ives expiring in about a months time

Probably not going to happen. My 241 expired yesterday.

ANNE

It’s Sunday where I am…

We went to Yas in September 2019, loved it and are booked to go back in March – also doing 5 nights at WB hotel.

We stayed 6 nights in 2019 and didn’t run out of things to do. Ferrari World and WB were a whole day each for us (no kids though) and we would have happily gone back to both in the same trip if our tickets had allowed it. Yas Waterworld is good but we only did a few hours there so personally I wouldn’t see it as much of a loss, but YMMV naturally!

As well as the parks we also did the Yas Marina Circuit tour, I did a driving experience and we spent a morning at Yas Beach. We thought there was a more to do at Yas than JBR but it’s a matter of taste of course.

There are reasonable chain style eating options at the Yas Mall plus a huge food court plus decent restaurants at some of the hotels, not the variety of JBR in my opinion but plenty to chose from for a 5 night stay.

Dominic

Small datapoint; I was looking for Day 2 PCR and LFT (Fit to fly).

Randox does both for £53.94 (if willing to use one of their drop boxes), using the coupon code ClickAndCollect.

Seems to be the cheapest I am aware of?

EDIT: Then I try finding stock…. ><

Tarmohamed

Thank you @dbbs and @anne I’m probably going to keep our hotel bookings for Yas until the last minute and see what we do.

pbcold

Data points: rang Virgin at 7.00am, got through immediately and had booked a PE flight and upgraded to UC with a voucher by 7.10am. Then transferred MR points to Marriott which arrived within an hour. A great start to the day.

SaveECRewards

I was using bendy on the orange airline for bob. As there’s no wifi on the aircraft they can’t authenticate the card in real time and so I woke up the next day to see my payment declined due to the underlying card. I had expected them to retry the payment but so far nothing. How do they handle this?

It seems one of my Italian cards has started rejecting bendy. As it’s a debit card I think the bank might just be blocking as the transactions seem suspicious rather than an outright block on the card itself. I was using my card via bendy while I was in Egypt so if my card got cloned I’d just have to block bendy rather than get a new debit card but towards the end of the trip the card started getting declined.

SamG

Quick question on how to deal with missing luggage. Just arrived in Geneva with BA to be told that the guys in London forgot to load a single piece of luggage for all the travellers onto the plane which I’ve never heard of. Anyways I was just given a, leaflet and told to go online. I went online and it suggests contacting my travel insurance. I have amex platinum.

Question how best do I tackle this, go directly with the travel insurance or go to BA with the questions? Also I’m surprised they didn’t give me a claim number but guess given it was late in the day I didn’t get one..? Anyways given the whole planes, luggage is missing which also, including our child’s car seats, it may be a while for stuff to arrive. What can I claim for? Don’t intend to take advantage but missing car seats and no winter cloths is quite a pain!

Thanks! Hopefully this forum setup works just as well as the daily bits!

Likely due to staff shortages and they couldn’t wait, ongoing issue at LHR!

You can file the claim online. Then buy what you need (as reasonably as possible). BA are very good about paying up in this scenario actually. Your insurance should cover the rest or may offer a fixed payment per period.

What you shouldn’t do is 1) do expensive hotel laundry, weirdly they don’t pay for this and 2) spend ages chasing the call centre, they only see what you can see on the world tracer screen . It comes when it comes unfortunately

SaveECRewards

It’s best to go to the insurance, although the insurance will then be the ones paying you for any expenses incurred they will claim whatever they can back from the airline, it saves you the hassle of doing so.

Stephan

Not sure how to reply to reply to a post so thanks SamG & SaveECReward on you comments. First time luggage/delayed/lost so just wanted to do the most efficient way.

ben1

Small datapoint; I was looking for Day 2 PCR and LFT (Fit to fly).

Randox does both for £53.94 (if willing to use one of their drop boxes), using the coupon code ClickAndCollect.

Seems to be the cheapest I am aware of?

EDIT: Then I try finding stock…. ><

Try ordering them both separately (it’s still the same price) for click and collect and you’ll find a lot more availability.. (at least for me last thurs)

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Sunday 19th December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.