Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat thread Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Sunday 23rd June

• Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,378 posts

This is today’s chat thread.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

davefl 1,452 posts

Hello from the Kimpton Palladian where my platinum options were 600 points or free breakfast for 2 days… huh?

The magic social password got me a small burlap bag with random wood shavings at the bottom, also containing a large Snickers bar, a small vial of “room freshening fragrance” and a pair of cheap sunglasses with blue lenses.

Also $5 F&B credit for declining housekeeping rather than a few hundred points.

The promised high speed internet as part of the amenity fee doesn’t exist, so all you get for nearly $30 is a $10 F&B credit (I have no jewelery that needs cleaing) which I’m about to make use of at the bar despite having sunk best part of a bottle of red at the social hour.

P.S. Seattle stinks of urine, and the homeless ‘problem’ is quite shocking, even after 3500 miles and 5 weeks of touring through the US. Nowhere near as bad as somewhere like San Fran but very bad.

davefl 1,452 posts

And the cheapest wine by the glass in the bar is 16 dollars a glass plus tax…. Wtf, are you having a giraffe. When CVS down the street is 13 bucks s bottle it’s no wonder I’m the only sucker in the bar

blitz18qb 32 posts

Got the potential to have 1 night in Seoul – It would give us roughly 24hrs
    Family of 4 with a 10&8yr old.
    Any hotel/city recommendations? (Have Platinum)

Thanks.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,385 posts

Thanks.

Youe already started a thread on this. Please give people time to respond

Also platinum with which chain?

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,385 posts

And the cheapest wine by the glass in the bar is 16 dollars a glass plus tax…. Wtf, are you having a giraffe. When CVS down the street is 13 bucks s bottle it’s no wonder I’m the only sucker in the bar

Trader Joe’s does a very nice Rose for around 3 bucks + tax

But I tend to avoid hotel bars unless I’ve got some sort of F&B voucher / room credit to defray the cost

strickers 760 posts

@davefl Off to Hawaii and San Diego soon, just withdrawing some of my daughter’s wedding fund in preparation. IC San Diego amenity fee $47 a day which includes a $22 F&B credit, not rolled over of course. I’m sure that will cover the cost of one glass of wine?

strickers 760 posts

Holiday Inn Express Waikiki –

34.21 USD per night not included in rate effective 3 October, 2024 thru 4 October, 2024
    17.96% per night not included in rate effective 3 October, 2024 thru 4 October, 2024
    The daily $29 + tax service fee includes guest access our 5th floor skydeck offering a 9 hole mini putting green, table tennis, foosball table, and pool side cabanas. Additionally, we offer unlimited filtered water in the lobby and access to kids’ game room.

I’m sure I’ll get my moneys worth on the mini putting green?

blitz18qb 32 posts

Thanks.

Youe already started a thread on this. Please give people time to respond

Also platinum with which chain?

I don have a chance to read every single forum everyday. Thought I’d go with maximum coverage with it being Sunday and all.
    I have the Amex Platinum Card.
    Dates would be 22/23 Dec. 2424

Any help appreciated.

NorthernLass 8,482 posts
    Peter K 619 posts

I don have a chance to read every single forum everyday

Yet you’ve posted the same message on more than one thread so doubling the time taken to see if there are any replies 😅

Mel TS 83 posts

P.S. Seattle stinks of urine, and the homeless ‘problem’ is quite shocking, even after 3500 miles and 5 weeks of touring through the US. Nowhere near as bad as somewhere like San Fran but very bad.

Thank you for this heads up – just planning a trip to the pacific north west and you’ve instantly helped me decide where not to stay!

occasionalranter 31 posts

I don have a chance to read every single forum everyday

Yet you’ve posted the same message on more than one thread so doubling the time taken to see if there are any replies 😅

Blitz by [user]name, Blitz by nature 😉

Am very chuffed at just scoring 2xJ AKL-DOH-DUB end of March 2025. Arrives DUB 6.40am – hopefully. Have then lined up DUB-EXT with Aer Lingus departing 2.5 hours later on a separate ticket. Anyone else done a similar transfer to a UK bound flight ? Seems like plenty of time to do immigration, collect bags and check in again and then sit in the lounge. I’m not missing anything obvious am I ? Only I’m a bit screwed if we miss the EXT flight as there isn’t another direct one for…. 3 days 😮

RK228 230 posts

If I’m Flying Blue Silver, which is supposed to come with priority check in across alliance through SkyTeam Elite, anyone know if this benefit applies when flying with the rest of my family that don’t have any FB status?

I ask because I’ve been reading that FB status doesn’t extend to others in booking, but most people seemed to be discussing this specifically with regard to lounges and security.

We’re going to be flying on Korean Airlines (PVG-PUS) in about two weeks’ time, so hoping to avail of business-class check in.

Froggee 1,006 posts

The Irish scratch card operator’s pricing is just nuts. I’ve been wanting to book a flight for October for several months. It was far from a bargain at around £140 (FAO-EDI) so I left it.

This is for a Tuesday when most of the Scottish schools should already be back.

I got a Google flight alert a few months back on a Saturday morning saying it had dropped to £100 and thought “great – I’ll book that on Monday”. On Monday it went up to £160.

I then watched it increase in price hitting the giddy heights of ~£240 with my levels of regret reaching regretcon 4.

Then hoorah – this morning I woke to a flight alert that it had dropped to £75 or so. In a oner (€290 to €90 as per the website)

Needless to say the boys had to wait for their breakfast while I booked it at 7am.

I thought Ryanair’s pricing algorithms were meant to be best in class but this does seem somewhat random to me.

I’m very glad I didn’t lose my nerve!

u07ch 78 posts

The Irish scratch card operator’s pricing is just nuts. I’ve been wanting to book a flight for October for several months. It was far from a bargain at around £140 (FAO-EDI) so I left it.

This is for a Tuesday when most of the Scottish schools should already be back.

I got a Google flight alert a few months back on a Saturday morning saying it had dropped to £100 and thought “great – I’ll book that on Monday”. On Monday it went up to £160.

I then watched it increase in price hitting the giddy heights of ~£240 with my levels of regret reaching regretcon 4.

Then hoorah – this morning I woke to a flight alert that it had dropped to £75 or so. In a oner (€290 to €90 as per the website)

Needless to say the boys had to wait for their breakfast while I booked it at 7am.

I thought Ryanair’s pricing algorithms were meant to be best in class but this does seem somewhat random to me.

There is a flight I book a few times a year Sydney -> Noumea in New Caledonia to get away from work trips in Sydney at the weekends. The prices fluctuate regularly from 640 pounds to 1100 pounds over and over with no pattern and without any bearing on how close the flight is. Does it for flights all year; it’s not just one off thing. I suspect the airline is just hoping people don’t notice the notify button on google flights and book whatever the cheapest is at the time they first look.

strickers 760 posts

@Froggee Looks like they are running a lottery alongside their scratch card sales and bugle lessons.

Lady London 2,176 posts

@blitz18qb regardless of your time issues, posting the same query 2x is just rude.

And I note you’ve done that rather American-style “Thanks.”, just as one word at the end of your post that requests help. Just so you won’t have to come back and say thank you for any replies (always gives me that impression, anyway 🙂 )

Lady London 2,176 posts

@occasionalranter Well done on securing that booking. Maybe think about a backup as that shortish gap till your separately ticketed last flight home does look a tad risky 🙂

AirMax 35 posts

I have noticed more “dynamism” in their pricing this year as well. Maybe the Portugese school holidays coincide?

Also when a train ticket from Edinburgh to Cornwall is £200, a flight for €240 almost to Africa seems not bad at all!

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,189 posts

@occasionalranter 2.5hrs should be fine. DUB baggage handling is prompt. What I do is book Aer Lingus Aerspace or Advantage fares. They are cancellable for free up to 2hrs before check in closes. And free to change time, albeit fare difference to pay. 2hrs before check in should suffice to give you time to tell at DOH or on board your final leg to DUB whether you’re going to make it or not.

Blair- yes, thanks, have booked Advantage, wasn’t actually much more considering I’ll have a checked bag anyway, and I get the exalted privilege of entry to the cleaning cupboard arrivals lounge in the baggage hall !

Ant M 82 posts

Thank you for this heads up – just planning a trip to the pacific north west and you’ve instantly helped me decide where not to stay!

I visited Portland and Seattle in May. Both have a big homeless problem, but in both cases it depends whereabouts you stay.

In Portland it’s mainly the chinatown area that’s got tents everywhere, but over near Pioneer square where I stayed it was fine.
    In Seattle I saw less of it other than a couple of small pockets – certainly no worse than London (in fact I saw less homeless in seattle than in London).

There’s some beautiful scenery in that part of the world – Multnomah falls was worth a visit and Mount Hood too (especially if you’re a fan of The Shining as you can visit Timberline lodge which is where outdoor shots were filmed)

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,189 posts

@occasionalranter What arrivals lounge is that? The Aer Lingus arrivals lounge in DUB? My understanding is that is limited to arrivals off their long haul flights from North America

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Sunday 23rd June’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.