Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Sunday 26th December

Chat thread – Sunday 26th December

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Michael C

Morning, Everyone!
    BA cancellation/rebook question, appealing to collective Xmas spirit!
    I have a cancelled 50% Avios LHR-GRU cancelled for this Tues 28 Dec. On
    MMB I can currently move it to Thurs 16 Dec 2022. Two questions for the experts!
    i) obviously pending availability, but could I wait until the morning of Tues 28 Dec to
    make the change, hoping there’ll be seats on Sat. 18 Dec 2022?
    ii) more importantly, my return GIG-LHR 4 Jan 2022 HASN’T been cancelled (and no
    mention of changing it on MMB), so what are my options if I go ahead and change
    LHR-GRU now? Do BA “have” to change my return, too, or would I just have to
    cancel the return, lose the 50% and the GBP35, and look for a new flight when they’re
    published?
    Hope everyone’s having a good weekend!

AJA

Morning Michael, is the return GIG-LHR on the same booking ref or separate? If on the same booking you should be able to move it too as it won’t make sense moving the outbound to way beyond the inbound. You may have to call BA to do so although it’s possible that once you amend the outbound via MMB that will open the ability to move the inbound as well. It’s also more likely that you are not yet within the 355 day window of available flights being the reason you can’t yet do so in MMB.

You might be worth waiting 2 days to get your preferred dates but I’d go ahead and change the outbound now and suck up the extra 2 days and then try again for the inbound in the 355 day window. I must say I’m jealous I’d love to go back to Brazil.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by AJA.
    WillPS

Morning all. Hilton query – I was due to check in today for 2 nights which would get me to Diamond status.

Unfortunately my fiancée and I are both suffering with Covid currently, we got the results of our PCR tests yesterday (merry christmas!), so I won’t be able to check in.

Rate was non-refundable, so any tips on how I might possibly get the nights logged? Is just checking in on the app going to do the trick or does one actually need to enter the room to get the nights credited?

Lady London

Morning, Everyone!
    BA cancellation/rebook question, appealing to collective Xmas spirit!
    I have a cancelled 50% Avios LHR-GRU cancelled for this Tues 28 Dec. On
    MMB I can currently move it to Thurs 16 Dec 2022. Two questions for the experts!
    i) obviously pending availability, but could I wait until the morning of Tues 28 Dec to
    make the change, hoping there’ll be seats on Sat. 18 Dec 2022?
    ii) more importantly, my return GIG-LHR 4 Jan 2022 HASN’T been cancelled (and no
    mention of changing it on MMB), so what are my options if I go ahead and change
    LHR-GRU now? Do BA “have” to change my return, too, or would I just have to
    cancel the return, lose the 50% and the GBP35, and look for a new flight when they’re
    published?
    Hope everyone’s having a good weekend!

Michael, assuming all on same booking.

Your factual rights are under EU261/UK261. If any flight on your booking is changed you can choose to move the whole booking “reroute” it to any date convenient for you. Your choice also to take a refund or to still travel on a flight as close as possible to what was cancelled.

You are likely to encounter the following limitations (mostly not legal as falling short of your full legal rights).

1. If you move it in MMB then if your booking was an avios booking, MMB will only show you avios seats available on dates you search. If the airline cancelled a flight you are entitled to *any* seat in same cabin on your chosen date at no extra cost nor fee whatsoever. You’ll have to call BA as obvs this means you can have a seat on any flight they’re selling seats for money on as you have a right to that seat f.o.c.

2. You only get 1 chance to change your booking each time BA cancelled a flight on it and you can change the whole booking not just the cancelled flight at that time. I would not change only part expecting a cancellation on another part later : I’d change the whole thing at one time. Just in case there are no later cancellations on it.

3. You’ll almost certainly have to call to get all you need done. Prepare beforehand by looking at what they’re selling for cash online on your dates. Reported times to get through soonest (and you could still be looking at 40mins+ on hold) are 8am or 7pm/soon after on a weekday.

4. You can only see around a rolling 350/355 days ahead to book. No one including a BA agent can usually book a date you can’t see online. No you can’t book some and then come back for the rest when the flight date rolls round in your one free rebook/reroute strike that you get if a flight on your booking was cancelled. You get one go, to change all the flights on it. So make sure all flights you need even for your new intended return, are selling online when you call.

5. BA has taken to putting a limitation the law doesn’t, on your new flight dates of 1 year from the date you bought them ie ticketing date. This is illegal. If you really need to travel later then you can. Ask nicely first but if you’re getting nowhere you would win at MCOL. Just BA will make you drag them to it.

6. If BA cancelled a flight on your booking you don’t actually have to decide what you want to do with it by the date it flies (nor accept any alternative they’re holding in MMB and asking you to confirm – make sure you don’t click accidentally. You can decide well after as the booking is kept in an irregular state until you do. Just, if the flight they’ve cancelled isn’t on your outgoing leg it will be administratively easier if you let the airline know you are working out what you want to do with it amongst your options and will let them know later. This stops you looking like a no-show on the outward.

Could future questions about Flight Cancellations and reshedules please be posted on the Flight Cancellations thread and not the Daily Chat thread *Rhys can you move this please*

Peter T

Morning all,

I added a car to a “flight only” booking a few days ago; then didn’t need the car, or the flights (Got last minute first availability with Avios). Got the flights changed to a FTV (as the added car didn’t appear on the PRN) and holidays were “closed”. Was going to be charged £350 for cancelling car; I’d forgotten you don’t get 24 hour “cooling off period” on holidays! It’s on the HfP article #obvs I just messed up.

They let me off as the flight agent who provided FTV told me I’d have to phone back to cancel car and would be ok to be outside the 24 hour period, and because I’m Gold.

With the extended double TP for holidays, just thought I’d share my mistake so that others don’t make my mistake. I (my Gold status) was lucky.

Although they did charge me for using my BAPP “refunded; if that happens call us and we’ll refund you”; would that have been enough of a “breach of contract” for me to
    cancel the car?!?

Optimus Prime

Morning all,

I added a car to a “flight only” booking a few days ago; then didn’t need the car, or the flights (Got last minute first availability with Avios). Got the flights changed to a FTV (as the added car didn’t appear on the PRN) and holidays were “closed”. Was going to be charged £350 for cancelling car; I’d forgotten you don’t get 24 hour “cooling off period” on holidays! It’s on the HfP article #obvs I just messed up.

They let me off as the flight agent who provided FTV told me I’d have to phone back to cancel car and would be ok to be outside the 24 hour period, and because I’m Gold.

With the extended double TP for holidays, just thought I’d share my mistake so that others don’t make my mistake. I (my Gold status) was lucky.

Although they did charge me for using my BAPP “refunded; if that happens call us and we’ll refund you”; would that have been enough of a “breach of contract” for me to
    cancel the car?!?

Yeah they love to confuse customers. You get the cool-off period for holidays booked on the phone but not online. As opposed to getting it for flights only if booked online.

Heath85

Anybody have experience of taking something back to Argos purchased with Nectar points?
    Do they give u a gift voucher or recredit the points?
    Thank you

Jim Utd

Currently in ATL experiencing the full force of Delta cancellations due to Omicron, last nights flight and this mornings to Fort Myers both cancelled, hopefully going to Sarasota at 11 instead.
    Interestingly on VS103 yesterday which was very empty, they shut the loft. When I asked why I was told that all Lofts and on board bars are now shut because of Omicron as they don’t want us mixing. Funny given everyone has to be double jabbed and have proof of a negative test the day before the flight. Can’t think of any safer places to be at the minute.

berneslai

Morning all. Hilton query – I was due to check in today for 2 nights which would get me to Diamond status.

Unfortunately my fiancée and I are both suffering with Covid currently, we got the results of our PCR tests yesterday (merry christmas!), so I won’t be able to check in.

Rate was non-refundable, so any tips on how I might possibly get the nights logged? Is just checking in on the app going to do the trick or does one actually need to enter the room to get the nights credited?

It will almost always result in a No Show (no elite nights awarded) whether you check in online or not. Usual options are:

1) Get someone else to check in for you, if possible , or
    2) Ring the hotel direct (not Hilton customer service) and explain your predicament. Often Hotel Management are more flexible than you think they are going to be – they may “check you in” as a favour

Dave

Anybody have experience of taking something back to Argos purchased with Nectar points?
    Do they give u a gift voucher or recredit the points?
    Thank you

Refund as gift voucher.

From the website: Return your item as you would normally. We’ll refund the Nectar portion of your payment as an Argos Gift Card (as we’re not able to refund your Nectar points).

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Dave.
    spawn606

Morning all,

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in London that gives similar vibes to staying in Richmond? I.e. nice greenery but still places to see and wonder around whilst mitigating covid risk?

Unfortunately there aren’t any chain hotels near Richmond or Kew Gardens and we would like something with a gym.

Thanks!

John

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in London that gives similar vibes to staying in Richmond? I.e. nice greenery but still places to see and wonder around whilst mitigating covid risk?

Unfortunately there aren’t any chain hotels near Richmond or Kew Gardens and we would like something with a gym.

Hilton syon park and DT Kingston are nearby, I’m pretty sure they have gyms.

Don’t understand what you mean by mitigating covid risk. Richmond is in London and is probably just ask risky as most of the rest of London

John

Checking in on the app may work, it depends if the night auditor cares. If you can get a digital key you have a good chance of it crediting, but no way of knowing until after.

One option is to call the hotel and beg to move dates.

Tariq

It will almost always result in a No Show (no elite nights awarded) whether you check in online or not. Usual options are:

1) Get someone else to check in for you, if possible , or
    2) Ring the hotel direct (not Hilton customer service) and explain your predicament. Often Hotel Management are more flexible than you think they are going to be – they may “check you in” as a favour

I’d ring the hotel, they may well be amenable to moving the dates, especially if you use the C word.

Mikeact

Bit of a long shot but I guess there’s some on here exploring getting down to Sydney, whenever.
    I’ve just had my son on the phone from downunder and for personal reasons I need to explore getting down there ASAP.
    Ideally to turn left but if it has to be right, then so be it.
    I’m fortunate to be Avios rich, but accept may well have to be cash.
    Latest news/options from anybody…thanks

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Sunday 26th December’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.