Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Sunday 27th March

Chat thread – Sunday 27th March

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

chrischris2202

Bummer, just got an email telling me my flight will be in Gatwick South instead of North later today, looked up PP lounges and they are all closed. Any advice where I can sit down and enjoy a meal and rest a bit? Economy flight and no status apart from Amex Plat and PP.

eskimoboy

Does the spend £200 get £50 cash back IHG offer Count on only actual hotel spend or what is billed to the card statement?
    Basically have £200.89 hit my Amex bill for the Holiday inn express in Amsterdam. There’s a £5 foreign transaction fee included so does that mean I will or will not get the £50?

(The bar is shut so no way of getting more spend!)

NorthernLass

Who applied the foreign transaction fee? If the hotel then probably Amex won’t know what it is.

eskimoboy

It was Amex…

NorthernLass

I think in that case you’d be deemed to have spent less than £200 for the purposes of the offer. I nearly had this last year at a HI so made up the £10 shortfall with some brownies and chocolate coins from the Starbucks in the lobby at checkout!

FlyingPtarmigan

Just arrived at the Sheraton Maldives for a couple of nights on the way back from Le Meridien.

The aircon in the toilets is fantastic!

Sometimes it’s the small things…

chrischris2202

Bummer, just got an email telling me my flight will be in Gatwick South instead of North later today, looked up PP lounges and they are all closed. Any advice where I can sit down and enjoy a meal and rest a bit? Economy flight and no status apart from Amex Plat and PP.

Update from my end: Gatwick South looks like peak Covid – terminal is open but most of the shops still closed. All lounges and the Grain Store still closed. Pret it is!

meta

I think in that case you’d be deemed to have spent less than £200 for the purposes of the offer. I nearly had this last year at a HI so made up the £10 shortfall with some brownies and chocolate coins from the Starbucks in the lobby at checkout!

I never had an issue with the Amex offers. FX fees count for spend target.

Tom H

Just arrived at the Sheraton Maldives for a couple of nights on the way back from Le Meridien.

The aircon in the toilets is fantastic!

Sometimes it’s the small things…

How are both? Any prefs? We are looking to go next year 2 kids 2 adults?

stevenhp1987

Currently sat in a lounge in Prague.

Only time we’ve had to wear a mask was on the BA flight here. Masks were dropped indoors here a week ago. No-one in the airport is wearing one.

Odds are we’ll be made to wear one on the flight back despite the fact the staff know they’re not required (they took theirs off as soon as they got off the flight here!)… They’re on BAs mask list for seemingly no reason!

NorthernLass

Keep us updated, I am travelling to PRG over Easter weekend.

George K

Slightly perplexed that I got an email from BA to use verifly for my upcoming trip to Switzerland. I thought there were no documents to show now… (have long since deleted verifly..)

Also, semi-related question: if you have done OLCI, can you upgrade at counter if you wish?

ANNE

Had to contact Alaska Airlines via Twitter DM today for some info re a flight booked via the BA website with Avios.

Response time for full and complete answer – 12 minutes

I know there’s no comparison in terms of airline size and scope vs BA but still….

Rob
    HfP Staff

Update from my end: Gatwick South looks like peak Covid – terminal is open but most of the shops still closed. All lounges and the Grain Store still closed. Pret it is!

Might pick up on Tuesday – there are no BA short haul flights until then.

JDB

Slightly perplexed that I got an email from BA to use verifly for my upcoming trip to Switzerland. I thought there were no documents to show now… (have long since deleted verifly..)

Also, semi-related question: if you have done OLCI, can you upgrade at counter if you wish?

Isn’t the requirement for VeriFLY that you still need to prove you are vaccinated?

stevenhp1987

Keep us updated, I am travelling to PRG over Easter weekend.

We were greeted at boarding with the cabin crew holding a box of masks…

Not overly enforced though. We were told it was mandatory. Maybe half were not wearing them during the flight.

Andrew.

Has anyone flown Play from Stansted?

I know it’s personal item only, but the £300 fares popping up for NYC and BWI are cheaper than some domestic flights or train fares.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 6 months ago by .
    TGLoyalty

I never had an issue with the Amex offers. FX fees count for spend target.

My experience too

pointyhead

I want to start a thread for tips, tricks and useful advice for parking at Heathrow (I have a BA flight from Terminal 5 in a few weeks). Where would I put the thread? Is it best kept to the chat thread?

polly

StephenHP
    Which lounge did you visit in T3, just realised it’s not t5 to PRG. Leaving tomorrow lunchtime. Good to know there’s an active lounge on PRG too for the return…

Angelamc11

If I have Amex plat business as sole trader but no other MR cards, can I still be referred for a personal Amex card? TIA

stevenhp1987

Has anyone flown Play from Stansted?

I know it’s personal item only, but the £300 fares popping up for NYC and BWI are cheaper than some domestic flights or train fares.

Flew Play to Iceland last year.

34″ seat pitch was nice. Expensive on board drinks/food much like Ryanair.

Shame you have to fly from STN which is just an awful experience. I wouldn’t do it again.

StephenHP
    Which lounge did you visit in T3, just realised it’s not t5 to PRG. Leaving tomorrow lunchtime. Good to know there’s an active lounge on PRG too for the return…

We got to the airport around 17:15 ish on Thursday… Cathay First (and Business) closes at 17:30. We didn’t realise until we got there so only got 10 minutes in the lounge before moving to BA First.

They said Qantas lounge closed at 2pm.

In PRG BA lounge uses the Mastercard lounge in non schengen zone (terminal 1), between gates A-B (left after passport control). Note that security is at the gate… Cannot fill your water bottle in the lounge!

I (Bronze) had no problem entering as my wife’s (Gold) guest.

Aquarius12

StephenHP

Do you have Amex platinum ? Centurion lounge is best in my opinion for T3

ChrisC

I want to start a thread for tips, tricks and useful advice for parking at Heathrow (I have a BA flight from Terminal 5 in a few weeks). Where would I put the thread? Is it best kept to the chat thread?

Destination advice seems the most appropriate .

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Sunday 27th March’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.