Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Sunday 3rd July

Chat thread – Sunday 3rd July

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

ChasP
    chrishond

Have booked a 2 week trip to Cape Town in late December to early Jan. any tips or hints for good care rental deals?

I have status with all the big brands , plus Amex plat etc. been a while since I’ve need car rental – so any help much appreciated.

Have tried the usual aggregators too but coming up around £1000 for the cheapest automatic

Pid

Traveling on BA to Sydney and then on a connecting flight to Wellington on Air New Zealand. It is on the same ticket and PNR. Can anyone confirm if our luggage will be through checked and if the higher luggage for being silver will be granted on both airlines. BA Webite suggests it will under the Most Significant Carrier rules. However, when contacted BA to check via email they have only said it may be checked through and we will have to wait until check in. Not helpful becacuse if it is not through chscked we will need an Australian visa and have to complete their arrival information.

AJA

@PID that’s awkward. BA normally does not interline baggage meaning you would usually have to go landside and collect baggage to check in or the second flight BUT you are in transit on one PNR so they should transfer the bags. As you say not having an Aussie visa will complicate things too.

AJA

Out of interest, why are you not beakung the journey in SYD? I would have thought it would have been worthwhile just to recover from the long haul flight or are you stopping inSINalready?

And baggage policy should be per BA.

Andrew J

now if BA followed suit …

https://travelradar.aero/lufthansa-brings-back-permanently-decommissioned-a380s/

BA is already operating their A380s – not sure what you mean by this remark.

yorkieflyer

Have booked a 2 week trip to Cape Town in late December to early Jan. any tips or hints for good care rental deals?

I have status with all the big brands , plus Amex plat etc. been a while since I’ve need car rental – so any help much appreciated.

Have tried the usual aggregators too but coming up around £1000 for the cheapest automatic

Try Woodford car hire direct or more obviously Skyscanner for the pick of the brokers offers

Cat

Hi all! Yesterday I booked flights to Ecuador for the school Easter holidays in 2023. I managed to save about 35,000 Avios and £200 by booking positioning flights to Madrid, and then starting the long haul segment in Madrid (a grand total of 114,000 Avios and £330 for London to Quito, with Madrid to Quito and back in business). I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone here – thanks to the many helpful articles as well as the collective wisdom in the chat threads. It’s awesome to do able to go on these incredible trips, in school holidays, and still manage to keep it as cheap as possible with the help of collective HfP wisdom.

In case anyone’s wondering, I’m heading to the Galapagos islands! I can’t wait!

Pid

@PID that’s awkward. BA normally does not interline baggage meaning you would usually have to go landside and collect baggage to check in or the second flight BUT you are in transit on one PNR so they should transfer the bags. As you say not having an Aussie visa will complicate things too.

It is not knowing either way that is frustrating. BA should be able to confirm in advance. Only saying they “may” through check provides no clarity. Fortunately we have the time between flights to collect and re-check if required but I would prefer not to. I have pushed BA for a clearer answer but I suppose if I do not get one I will have to just get an Aussie visa to play safe.

Out of interest, why are you not beakung the journey in SYD? I would have thought it would have been worthwhile just to recover from the long haul flight or are you stopping inSINalready?

And baggage policy should be per BA.

Work travel booking so no stopover allowed 🙁

Abdul

Is No1 in EDI open again?

AJA

“Work travel booking so no stopover allowed 🙁”
    In that case I’d get your employer to pay for an Aussie visa. They won’t want you arriving late in NZ because you’re having problems in SYD.

• This reply was modified 52 years, 7 months ago by .
    Alex

Good morning everyone. Can I book a return BA flight for 2 people and use a BA Barclays Cabin Upgrade Voucher for the return leg? I was expecting I could but the BA website did not allow. Does this mean that there should be two separate flights booked and the voucher can be used on the outward flight only?

AJA

@Cat I look forward to the Galapagos review . You certainly do travel to some exotic places on points. Well done

Carlos

is it possible to add the OH onto my curve card? still have the same last name
    waiting for my supplementary card to arrive had me thinking..

chrism20

Is No1 in EDI open again?

Permanently shut I believe although I’m sure someone mentioned on here
    Plaza were looking for a lounge manager for EDI a while back which will presumably fill that space. Heard nothing since though.

mrhbeats

Hi All – I’ve got a couple of questions – we’re flying with BA on Wednesday to LA;

1) I need to input Advance Passenger Information but whenever I do for my wife and daughter it keeps saying “error – title and gender don’t match”. Appreciate there was some twitter and media spun outrage about the Dr and female error earlier this week but it appears to be impacting other titles/ gender. Does anyone know how to fix? Are we still able to turn up at airport without completing API?

2) BA are asking us to use Verifly – I recall from a recent trip to Toronto it was a complete waste of time and I ended up having to check in at airport and show all my paper documents. Is Verifly mandatory?

Thanks
    M

AL

I have a £400 FTV. Can I use that as payment toward taxes when using a companion voucher on BA?

Richie

Hi All – I’ve got a couple of questions – we’re flying with BA on Wednesday to LA;

1) I need to input Advance Passenger Information but whenever I do for my wife and daughter it keeps saying “error – title and gender don’t match”. Appreciate there was some twitter and media spun outrage about the Dr and female error earlier this week but it appears to be impacting other titles/ gender. Does anyone know how to fix? Are we still able to turn up at airport without completing API?

2) BA are asking us to use Verifly – I recall from a recent trip to Toronto it was a complete waste of time and I ended up having to check in at airport and show all my paper documents. Is Verifly mandatory?

Thanks
    M

My passport doesn’t have a title, so I’d stick with the simplest to complete the API.

I’ve had success with Verifly, sometimes it works. So I’d just do it. Have the paper back up as always.

Richie

now if BA followed suit …

https://travelradar.aero/lufthansa-brings-back-permanently-decommissioned-a380s/

They have 3 that aren’t yet in full service, so BA is doing well with their A380 flights.

Cat

@Cat I look forward to the Galapagos review . You certainly do travel to some exotic places on points. Well done

I do my best @AJA! I rather suspect that the shoestring Galapagos Cruise that I end up on would be outside of the interest area of most HfP regulars (and I don’t have the money for one of the luxury cruises!).

How are you? Where and when’s your next trip?

SteveJ

is it possible to add the OH onto my curve card? still have the same last name
    waiting for my supplementary card to arrive had me thinking..

There is no validation of the card holder name when you add a card. Use your own name and get on with life 😉

SteveJ

I have a £400 FTV. Can I use that as payment toward taxes when using a companion voucher on BA?

Unfortunately no, non Avios FTV can’t be mixed with Avios bookings

gomes471

Hi, I have a BA flight to Athens from LGW,
    in a few weeks, BA is not selling tickets for that flight anymore, how likely it is that the flight will get cancelled?
    If that happens and all the other BA flights are fully booked, is it reasonable for me to request a seat with other airline?
    Thanks

Lady London

Traveling on BA to Sydney and then on a connecting flight to Wellington on Air New Zealand. It is on the same ticket and PNR. Can anyone confirm if our luggage will be through checked and if the higher luggage for being silver will be granted on both airlines. BA Webite suggests it will under the Most Significant Carrier rules. However, when contacted BA to check via email they have only said it may be checked through and we will have to wait until check in. Not helpful becacuse if it is not through chscked we will need an Australian visa and have to complete their arrival information.

It’s all same PNR one ticket so from what you say I’d be stunned if BA does not check all the way through.

@ChrisC
    and @SamG do actually know about this stuff though so any reply from them would be correct.

If it’s a business trip did you book it through a corporate travel agent esp one of the majors? If so ask them as getting that question answered correctly should be part of their service.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Sunday 3rd July’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.