Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Daily chat threads Click here for today’s chat thread Chat thread – Sunday 9th January

Chat thread – Sunday 9th January

Topic closed
  • Rob
    HfP Staff

This is today’s chat thread. We have moved the daily discussion from the main HfP news feed into the new forum. We hope you get used to it.

If you have specific questions about Avios, hotels or credit cards, please ask them in the appropriate forum and not here. This thread is a good place to post interesting deals you have spotted or your general thoughts on travel and all things miles and points. Thank you for contributing.

Tarmohamed

If you land at C gates in DXB, it means you’ll be getting a free covid test before you reach immigration. Our negative results arrived in 4.5 hours by text message, Al Hosn app turned green at the same time. 12 hours on and the DXB smart app still shows it as pending.

Waddle

Hi folks. Question RE a 2-4-1 booking. I assume I can cancel the inbound leg with the appropriate amount of avios returned – do I get a refund of any fees & taxes?

EvilDoctorK

Bringing up Three UK again .. I know it was mentioned yesterday

It was my understanding that as long as you rolled over an old contract and didn’t sign up for a new one then if you had the ‘Feel at Home’/’Go Roam’/Whatever they call it now cheap roaming benefit then it remained

They obviously strongly seeked to encourage you to sign up for a new contract , but you could just roll over your existing one by default and as I understood it all the roaming benefits stayed … I did this ( or rather didn’t do anything else ) in November last year

Last week my wife got an email from them offering her the usual choices as her contract was ending .. but there was no default to remain on the same option any longer they converted you to something obviously inferior without the roaming benefit. I don’t know if it’s a quirk of how her contract end date was or something ? Or have they changed the policy ?

Boi

Anyone has any bright ideas where I can put just over £500K while I figure out what to do with it?

we recently sold our house in UK and I have no immediate plans with it. But it will be for short term while we decide. Also, would be great if I can earn points too while I am at it. But ofcourse thats not the most important thing.

Thegasman

Anyone has any bright ideas where I can put just over £500K while I figure out what to do with it?

If your timeframe is less than 2 years & you can’t stomach at least a 50% chance of taking a 10% loss then cash is about your only option. On average there is a stock market correction (10% fall) every 2 years. Most rational observers would also say the chances of a 10% rise are substantially less than a fall at the moment.

Premium Bonds is about as good as you’ll get for the first £100k (£50k each). There’s a points angle (if you’re brave) with Curve but only for £10k per month now.

NorthernLass

Hi folks. Question RE a 2-4-1 booking. I assume I can cancel the inbound leg with the appropriate amount of avios returned – do I get a refund of any fees & taxes?

I’ve seen it mentioned that this is possible but you’ll have to call to get a refund! I assume the usual £35pp is retained and everything else returned.

EvilDoctorK

They obviously strongly seeked to encourage you to sign up for a new contract , but you could just roll over your existing one by default and as I understood it all the roaming benefits stayed … I did this ( or rather didn’t do anything else ) in November last year

Having looked into it a bit more I think what they are doing is

– If you do nothing then you’re converted indeed to a SIM only contract with the same T&Cs as your old one ( all other options you can choose are with different no free roaming T&Cs )
    BUT
    – The minimum duration of that contract is only 3 months
    – When those three months are up then you get the email like my wife received which offers no choice but a completely new contract

A bit sneaky, though presumably they’re allowed to to this.

Anyways looks like my time with Three is coming to an end .. I think of the main guys only O2 UK ( for the moment ) offers free EU roaming .. any other tips / options to consider .. it’s only really for data, who does phone calls these days !

QwertyKnowsBest

Bringing up Three UK again .. I know it was mentioned yesterday

It was my understanding that as long as you rolled over an old contract and didn’t sign up for a new one then if you had the ‘Feel at Home’/’Go Roam’/Whatever they call it now cheap roaming benefit then it remained

I was told by Three anything classed as a new contract post 1st October (I think that was the date) would not be entitled to the previous roaming benefit. Took a new contract out in September, and benefit has been applied. I found Three Business much easier to deal with than consumer, seemed to be a small UK based team and helped with a complex problem post sale. Consumer support is poor unless a simple matter.

QwertyKnowsBest

Having looked into it a bit more I think what they are doing is

– If you do nothing then you’re converted indeed to a SIM only contract with the same T&Cs as your old one ( all other options you can choose are with different no free roaming T&Cs )
    BUT
    – The minimum duration of that contract is only 3 months
    – When those three months are up then you get the email like my wife received which offers no choice but a completely new contract

A bit sneaky, though presumably they’re allowed to to this.

Anyways looks like my time with Three is coming to an end .. I think of the main guys only O2 UK ( for the moment ) offers free EU roaming .. any other tips / options to consider .. it’s only really for data, who does phone calls these days !

If you have a business look at business offers. I secured 10 SIMs with Uk unlimited everything and 12 GB per SIM EU, USA etc data per month. All in £50 plus VAT, mentioned the deal here a while ago.

QwertyKnowsBest

Morning, any recommendations for MIA Airport Hotel. Tried several over the years, but not impressed with any. The one attached to the terminal gets very poor TripAdvisor reviews. Thanks.

PGW

Morning, any recommendations for MIA Airport Hotel. Tried several over the years, but not impressed with any. The one attached to the terminal gets very poor TripAdvisor reviews. Thanks.

The hotel in the terminal is perfectly adequate for an overnight following a late afternoon or evening arrival and particularly handy if you intend to take another flight or rent a car the following morning. If you’re looking fo something you’ll be spending more time in I’d consider the Intercontinental or Sofitel. They’re not that close but both have quality complementary shuttles (LHR take note!)

JDB

I’ve seen it mentioned that this is possible but you’ll have to call to get a refund! I assume the usual £35pp is retained and everything else returned.

I too believe this is currently possible, but it is a Covid concession. The Avios rules state there is usually no refund of Avios for either leg if you cancel less than 24 hours before the first flight in the itinerary.

SamG

Pre travel I think would be possible up to 24hrs before departure

Post travel you can only get an FTV (usually nothing!) . In theory you can then refund this for £35pp but I’m not 100% in this scenario. Or you could use the FTV to book a flight to Manchester which would release most of the cash/Avios & save you the fee, assuming you’d use it again before Sept 23

Blair Waldorf Salad

If you land at C gates in DXB, it means you’ll be getting a free covid test before you reach immigration. Our negative results arrived in 4.5 hours by text message, Al Hosn app turned green at the same time. 12 hours on and the DXB smart app still shows it as pending.

Good grief, is this random if your plane uses a C gate or are certain origin points being directed there? Test on arrival is a deal breaker for me frankly.

Benilyn

Good grief, is this random if your plane uses a C gate or are certain origin points being directed there? Test on arrival is a deal breaker for me frankly.

UK amongst other countries are subject to random testing on arrival in Dubai at the moment.

• The topic ‘Chat thread – Sunday 9th January’ is closed to new replies.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.